Never thought I'd miss Ed Skrein, but...

2) I think D&D are actually admitting they not only cast Daario 1.0 wrong, but WROTE him wrong. Because with Eric Bana Daario, it's not just new casting, it's also new writing. Which for me, also doesn't work.

If "subtlety" is the new plan...perhaps we should do something other than handing a woman a bunch of flowers while explaining what each one means.

"You ARE a gambler." Is this an episode of Dallas? I almost expected him to call her "ma'am."

In short, I don't really miss Rapper Daario, but I sure don't like Eric Bana from Troy Daario, either. I hope the writers help him out better than they did in Episode 1.

I completely agree with you, especially regarding point 2. And yes, there was nothing subtle about the dialogue in that second scene.

However, as I've probably stated too many times already (can you tell I'm a fan of his? lol), I think Michiel's direction was to be more subtle in his movement and looks and, well, everything. I too hope they give him more to work with because I think his talents allow for much more range - whether that's being arrogant, a douchebag, charismatic, or whatever - than what he was given in the season opener. And I'd much rather see this as well, rather than a completely subdued Daario.

1) I can't stand book Daario -- looks like a clown, acts like a clown, but somehow Dany doesn't notice?

2) S3 Daario actually made me believe the book Daario could work

3) S4 Daario -- not a bad character, just not a character from the book. Seriously, I don't recall reading about Jorah Mormont's younger, good-looking brother.

4) Nothing I've read indicates that HBO / D&D chose to replace Daario; given how much better S3 Daario is than the new one (and how much less book-like S4 Daario is), I wouldn't want to insult the show by saying somebody did it on purpose.

4) Nothing I've read indicates that HBO / D&D chose to replace Daario; given how much better S3 Daario is than the new one (and how much less book-like S4 Daario is), I wouldn't want to insult the show by saying somebody did it on purpose.

Ehhhh. It's debatable.

Michiel was cast quite a bit (and signed on for S5 too) before Ed was announced as the lead of the new Transporter reboot. I've heard rumours of Ed being difficult on set and/or wanting more money, and I'm not just saying this as a fan of the new actor. But that's neither here nor there.

Like I said, the purposeful recast of a completely different looking actor (plus not adding that blonde wig), the writing in those first two scenes, etc. - seems to point towards D&D choosing to go another direction with Daario for S4 and beyond. But that's just me analyzing the situation from my POV.

Ahhhhhhh! What is that monstrosity?

I never thought I could find Eric Bana so unattractive!

It was Bana's breakout dramatic role. Previously he was known for comedy work. The movie is a biopic of a 'colourful Australian underworld figure' - Mark 'Chopper' Read.

IMDB 'Chopper' page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221073/

Regarding "People fear change" - Poor Ian Whyte was promoted in S2, then demoted for S4 from The Mountain. And no one feared that change. Yes, Conan was perfect, but this new guy.... pretty damn close.

That's because he didn't actually have any lines of note. He's a physical presence. And there has been plenty of complaining about how they've butchered the Mountain's role around here. They have one last chance to set it right though. So yeah, it definitely does come across as people just fearing change in regards to new and improved Daario.

That's because he didn't actually have any lines of note. He's a physical presence. And there has been plenty of complaining about how they've butchered the Mountain's role around here. They have one last chance to set it right though. So yeah, it definitely does come across as people just fearing change in regards to new and improved Daario.

I don't know what you mean by "fearing the change". The change has happened, and we've seen it, so there is nothing to "fear". IMO, S4 Daario is in all ways inferior to both S3 Daario and Book Daario (who I think is arguably the worst written character in the books). Daario's "look" is big part of his character, and the new Daario looks like Jorah's younger brother, and unless the costuming changes in later episodes, the dialog/acting is unlikely to overcome that defect.

So far I prefer season 3 Daario. I can see why some people could not stand him, but isn' that kind of the point of the Daario character? New Daario seems quite calm and like a regular guy. I also find it distracting that he looks nothing like the old Daario, they changed his entire look.

There's just no reasoning with some people. Alas, we know who the superior Daario is. :lol:

I don't know what you mean by "fearing the change". The change has happened, and we've seen it, so there is nothing to "fear". IMO, S4 Daario is in all ways inferior to both S3 Daario and Book Daario (who I think is arguably the worst written character in the books). Daario's "look" is big part of his character, and the new Daario looks like Jorah's younger brother, and unless the costuming changes in later episodes, the dialog/acting is unlikely to overcome that defect.

"Fearing the change" is exactly what you've expressed in your comment. Daario's look might have been a huge part of his character in the book and in S3 Daario, but D&D seem to have decided it's no longer a be-all-and-end-all for the character on the show, as illuminated by the lack of a golden wig. You're fearing the change of his look because it isn't as you've experienced it before. That's what the sentiment means; I swear I'm not trying to be condescending.

As for being in all ways inferior, not sure that's possible re: acting because as even the OP said, he was horrid.

To be clear, I know the new actor is just fine and very believable as a sexed up pursuer of what he wants.

I've never seen such a total lack of continuity in a series to the point that one feels a new character has been injected with the same name.

I found zero chemistry there.

Maybe he won't become her lover in the show version, and it will all work out, sort of.

I didn't even believe new Daario had the least attraction/devotion to Dany and that is inexcusable. Handing her a bunch of flowers with a lecture about strategy doesn't make sense on any level from the relationship point of view.

I found the earlier actor to be doing a good job in the douchebag category which fit just fine with the book character.

And I don't read Daario as being unnecessarily aggressive and insulting to Grey Worm, at least not the Daario of last season. Daario is concerned about himself and his pleasure. (I am forgetting the Daario of the books for the moment).

Neither did Dany display any of the titillation she did at the end of last season when she asked where is was with concern after she had sent them into the city to take it.

He didn't even look at her and project any chemistry at all from his end.

This was bad writing, bad decision making and bad direction. Since everything is in the can, we can only hope they picked up on it and did something.

and by the way, I remember the book as establishing Grey Worm as brother to Missande. It is easy to get things wrong, but this is what I remember. I think Daario was picking up on his interest in his sister.

I think it's overtaken Renly as the worst cast, written for, and handled character of the series so far. D&D have done a superb job, but certain character types they can't quite grasp and it seems to be males that are flamboyant and effeminate(sp?) but also taken serious as leaders or warriors.

"Fearing the change" is exactly what you've expressed in your comment. Daario's look might have been a huge part of his character in the book and in S3 Daario, but D&D seem to have decided it's no longer a be-all-and-end-all for the character on the show, as illuminated by the lack of a golden wig. You're fearing the change of his look because it isn't as you've experienced it before. That's what the sentiment means; I swear I'm not trying to be condescending.

You aren't getting the point -- "fearing change" is an anticipatory behavior. I waited until after I saw the change to comment about it, so it is simply not possibly "fearing". I have seen the change, and I do not like it.

You aren't getting the point -- "fearing change" is an anticipatory behavior. I waited until after I saw the change to comment about it, so it is simply not possibly "fearing". I have seen the change, and I do not like it.

Actually if we're talking semantics, "fearing the change" (which is what I was referring to) as a phrase puts "the change" into the present; which is what I was describing. "Fearing change" as you said in your comment is anticipatory. Two different meanings, which is why we're probably both a little confused at each other's comments.

Looking up at the comment, I see the error of phrasing it this way. I don't mean fearing change, I mean disliking change just because its changed. This new guy is extremely better considering the last guy had minimal lines and a wooden delivery of them. New guy seems to exume a subtle confidence and attraction to Dany that the old guy did not have. And his looks are much more natural-looking than last year's wighead.

Also, I definitely think judgment should be reserved for more scenes with him other than these two we got that were closer to book Daario than last season.

I like the new one better, although he should play it a little more smarmy.

Agreed!

I think I'll reserve judgement until I see him champion for Dany. I think that will be the "make it or break it" scene for me. I don't really care for looks, as long as I get a sense of character.

Archived