[Book Spoilers] Arya and The Hound Speculation

Ser Hugh BuckweII

I'm guessing that The Hound's plan to bring Arya to the Vale will be more fully realised in the show. Rather than just turning away at the first sign of snows, they'll manage to sneak into the Vale but be waylaid by Knights who Lysa's tasked with protecting the Vale's borders from the war.

:agree:

The show loves teasing the audience with the 'could be' Stark reunions and I think they'll play that up. The possibility of Arya and Sansa getting back together will excite many people, especially with the Hound being there too- he seems to have a soft spot for both Stark girls, all though in different ways. They had Littlefinger tell Sansa he had seen Arya after all- teasing with 'future plot' references.

I'm betting many Unsullied will think the Hound will become their protector as they avenge their family. :lol:

I'm guessing that The Hound's plan to bring Arya to the Vale will be more fully realised in the show. Rather than just turning away at the first sign of snows, they'll manage to sneak into the Vale but be waylaid by Knights who Lysa's tasked with protecting the Vale's borders from the war.

The Vale storyline doesn't work at all. The Hound KNOWS Lysa from his time at King's Landing. He knows she's a nut. He may not be the smartest guy in the story but he's gotta know there's nothing there.

There was also a problem I had with one of his and Arya's exchanges. She asked him why he didn't have any money. She knows the Brotherhood stole his gold. She was there when he complained about it. So she already knows why he doesn't have any money.

First time post from a long-time lurker, de-cloaking to say that this is precisely what I'm really worried about. As a firm believer in the Gravedigger theory, if Arya does divert from the story in the show, and does give him the Gift instead of riding off... it seems to me that would carry some heavy implications for any future (theorized) involvement Sandor might have in the books.

It's my hope she finds she can't do it... but because she's come to care for him.

If she gives him an on-screen death, I will cry ALL of the crocodile tears. I'll probably keep reading and watching, but I'll hate myself for it, LOL ;o)

Welcome, Vespaer. :D

I couldn't help but get chilled to the bone when watching those last few seconds with Arya. Not only the cold smile, but her face seemed shadowed, as if her inner rage had finally been transformed into murderous, calculating darkness. To me, once she slowly forced Needle into Polliver's neck she stopped being Ned's little girl, and is now well on her way to becoming a 'faceless man/woman'.

Since the popularity of Arya and the Hound are at an all time high, they most likely won't get rid of Sandor until the last episode, and even then it will be her walking away while he screams/yells/begs for her 'gift'. I'm already stocking up on tissues. :crying:

I very much doubt the hound will travel to Bravoos with Arya.

However it would not surprise me if given his fan favourite status they have something more in mind for him than one brief scene with Brienne as a grave digger.

Well, we have only seen to this point that one scene - I think based on what some of the theories are that we will see him further down the road but that he would need to disappear for a while.

I think they will get to the Mountains of the Moon village as in the books. Deviation will be that mountain clansman attack the village, Sandor is badly injured.

Arya leaving him.will be difficult I think. They seem closer than they are the book, which would surely mean she would grant him the gift of mercy.

I don't think it will be that difficult - she still very much resents him for Mycah. Yes, their on screen chemistry is great, but I don't think there is a lot of softness of her towards him.

The Vale storyline doesn't work at all. The Hound KNOWS Lysa from his time at King's Landing. He knows she's a nut. He may not be the smartest guy in the story but he's gotta know there's nothing there.

There was also a problem I had with one of his and Arya's exchanges. She asked him why he didn't have any money. She knows the Brotherhood stole his gold. She was there when he complained about it. So she already knows why he doesn't have any money.

Lysa wasn't quite so nutty before Jon died. And it's not like The Hound would care. He just drops off Arya, takes the money and leaves. It's his only real shot at getting anywhere at the moment. The point about the money is a good one though. Bit of a mess up there from D+D.

For all amount of fanfiction the show has added, they didn't really change any of the main outcomes yet, so I would be surprised if Sandor ended up travelling to Braavos with Arya. They'll just add lots of filler scenes, and then go by the books.

Oh and my money is on

Brienne / Arya meeting because the irony would be too much

Dude!

They're bound to tweak Brienne's journey quite a bit, so I could see it happening. So everyone would get excited for what MIGHT happen but never does.

They love pulling the rug off the viewers' feet, sooo....

For all amount of fanfiction the show has added, they didn't really change any of the main outcomes yet, so I would be surprised if Sandor ended up travelling to Braavos with Arya. They'll just add lots of filler scenes, and then go by the books.

Dude!

They're bound to tweak Brienne's journey quite a bit, so I could see it happening. So everyone would get excited for what MIGHT happen but never does.

They love pulling the rug off the viewers' feet, sooo....

Agreed. Also, love that idea. I'm on board.

I'm not really aware of any added fanfiction in the tv show. I found that a lot of the content of the books have been overlooked rather than the writers (George RR Martin included) adding to the televised version of the story.

Any examples?

I'm not really aware of any added fanfiction in the tv show. I found that a lot of the content of the books have been overlooked rather than the writers (George RR Martin included) adding to the televised version of the story.

Any examples?

Talisa.

Any examples?

I suppose the details of Theon's transformation to Reek could be considered that. Both Tywin and Mel meeting Arya. Talisa wasn't fanfiction so much as a complete deviation from the source material to be more suitable for the TV medium.

However, "fanfiction" is a bit harsh, seeing as they consult with Martin on everything, and he writes some episodes. I'd just consider it "adaptation for TV."

Fanfiction is an hyperbole.

However, I don't think grrm has as much a say as some seem to believe. He didn't like the Talisa thing, and asked them to change her name IIRC, In fact, I think the same thing happened to Locke/Vargo Hoat, when the characters are too different they need to become a new character. But other than that I'm sure the show doesn't rely on george for any decision.

Alright, I have a better understanding of 'fanfiction' now. :cheers:

Talisa - I actually liked her, keeping in mind that I'm an 'old fogey'. Oona Chaplin's inclusion was brilliant in that her grandfather, Charlie Chaplin, was an icon, and her last name drew the immediate attention of those of us who loved 'old hollywood' and silent movie actors. Kudos to D&D. It also has potential to add to the backstory of Cersei's encounter with Maggy and her prophecy if they ever decide to include it, I guess. Speculations abounded all over the place when my (also old fogey) friends and I discussed the ramifications of her (Talisa) being killed off. XD

I may be the only one on this site that absolutely detested Theon's torture chapters, but having worked in shelters where women and children came in cut up and stitched up on a regular basis, I was constantly reminded of how much torture takes place in modern society...not something I read about or watch with relish. The only thing I enjoyed about those scenes was the presence of my favourite Misfit, Simon. The sausage scene was so freaking hilarious, though.

For Arya with Tywin, rather than Roose. OMG! I bowed to Maisie Williams that night for holding her own against the great Charles Dance. What a mind blowing/heart-stopping event that was for me. I was on tenderhooks the entire time. The Roose Bolton actor is great at being Roose and all...but nowhere nearly as intimidating an actor as Mr. Dance! And Miss Williams held her own throughout.

Anyways, those were just my thoughts on the differences. I gave up a long time ago on seeing any beloved books being transferred scene for scene, word for word on film.

I like the idea someone mooted above: he will get injured, probably doing something fairly noble, and get a kind of redemption, but the irony will be that he asks Arya to give him a merciful release, but it will be painful for her to do so because she kind of likes him by then; but she'll still get to tick him off the list.

That would fit with enough of what's needed to stay reasonably true to the book and keep the book ball rolling, while giving fan service re. another of these delightful pairings (e.g. Arya and Tywin, Jaimie and Brienne, Tyrion and Shae) that aren't necessarily all that canon, but get popular and get elaborated because of good acting chemistry. (It's part of what GRRM said about a different medium requiring a certain adaptability re. the book stuff - you can't stick too rigidly to it, and if you have a good thing like good acting chemistry, it's more valuable to roll with it than ignore it for the sake of being utterly true to the book.)

She's got to get to Braavos, because it's such a cool city and the stuff she does is cool, and in the books it's clear she's being prepped for something that requires some genuine hardcore competence in the killing arts.

Their last scene looks like they were heading to razed and burnt villages which means the sacking of Saltpans. I think they might toss upon some Bloody Mummers and the Hound gets his wounds against them.

Yeah?

Who killed Jon Arryn?

Well she did, which probably drove her pretty nutty. Even if she didn't like him much, that's a pretty big thing for a not very strong-willed person to do, and now she has to cope with the paranoia of being found out as well.

Archived