[Spoilers] Dark Souls 2 part Deux

aceluby

Original thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/105367-spoilers-official-dark-souls-2-thread-prepare-to-die-again/

Continuing the conversation...

Who has gone on to NG+? I absolutely LOVE what they've done this time around for NG+. It's like a whole new game with black phantoms EVERYWHERE and completely new boss experiences. You thought Lost Sinner was hard in NG? In NG+ two black phantom pyromancers come to help her while spamming flame swathe and the fireball explosion. I'm going to LOVE to see the videos of someone trying to take that one solo. It's the one battle I couldn't keep Lucatiel alive for.

Currently trophy hunting in NG+ and have completed the Hex quest and Lucatiel quest, now working on getting the 4 original Boss souls to trade for magic and finishing the Benhart quest line. As for NG+, I'm already past the Looking Glass Knight, which I have a good hint for those that are getting helpers for NG+

Equip the white ring when you face him, especially if you have multiple phantoms. It will make all of you look like phantoms so when the Looking Glass Knight summons a player as opposed to a NPC they won't automatically focus on the host. I got pretty lucky w/ this battle since he never did his summoning trick

I feel like they truly developed for not only a NG experience, but also a very good NG+ experience. Hats off to FROM on that one, really stepped up their game. Currently sitting at SL200ish and still have no issues summoning or getting summoned at pretty much every boss.

There was a new thread already, but I imagine they will be merged, so...

Went to NG+ but haven't done much. Due to my end game killing spree, that character is now enduring constant Blue Sentinel invasions. I knew that would happen, but I was expecting PVP to be a little more fun. It turned out to be laggy magic spam. Not really worth it.

I'll gradually work that character up to being playable again. But until then I've started a new one. Going Dex this time. Got a Mirrah Greatsword now, and working up to also being able to power stance Blacksteel Katana's. It's going so much faster. 15 hours in, 3 great souls collected. It's going so much quicker because I don't have to explore much, since I know where basically everything is. And I've been summoning for the bosses, just because.

I also picked up the guide book. It's a nice book. Not really necessary since the wiki's are going to be much better, if they aren't already. But I wanted to have some quick reference for weapons and armor and such for planning characters. And so I could read the item descriptions without taking up game time. Kind of pointless, but still a cool book.

Excellent tip on LGK. Never thought I'd have any use for the White Ring.

Lastly, saw this video a couple days ago. NG+5, double Pursuers, bare fists. Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfo_sbhI5oY

Yeah, I'm actually not a huge fan of PvP so far, and this is from someone who spent A LOT of time doing PvP in the last game. I mean a TON, so to not enjoy it is kind of weird, but I have almost no interest in that aspect as of now, but that may change as I try new characters. I'm actually enjoying the PvE aspect a whole lot more, especially with the changes in NG+. So many invasions and black phantoms.

If you want to get your sin level down and not get invaded all the time spend all your souls, go to an area that you're getting invaded in and just leave it there while you watch TV or something. Every time you are killed by a blue your sin level will go down and once you're at zero you'll be back to no blues.

From what I gather there are two kinds of sin, NPC aggro sin, and NPC killing/Invasion sin. You can get rid of NPC aggro sin by getting your sins pardoned. You can only decrease your NPC killing/invasion sin by getting invaded and killed by blues. Kind of a cool element if you ask me and makes me glad I didn't kill any NPC's before NG+ (none of them dropped anything I wanted anyway...)

It isn't even that none of them drop anything that I wanted - a couple of them did have useful items. But there's no need since they all give you their stuff anyway. The only one you may need to kill is Felkin, if you're not running a hex build and want to complete Navlaan's requests. And of course Licia, but she doesn't count.

Well, I knew what was going to happen. I just expected PVP would be better. The lag is ridiculous and everbody just runs in spamming 1-hit kill magics. They should be easy enough to avoid, but... I have had a couple of decent matches though.

My daughter loves watching me get destroyed by Blues. At least somebody is having fun with it.

I had to finally catch up on the last few episodes of The Walking Dead yesterday, and I did consider setting up in Heide's to get murdered repeatedly. Not sure why I didn't. Whatever. I'm having fun with my other character right now.

I completed Navlaan's quest w/out killing anyone since the characters all give you those items w/out gathering sin. The hardest trophy so far have been keeping Lucatiel alive. She's kind of an idiot.

As far as PvP, I think the combination of the sheer number of builds along with soul memory has put me off. I'm constantly fighting guys w/ a TON of health and can almost always one-shot me. I usually just run back to my bonfire and wait for the invader to come and then spam sorceries, but it's not really that fun. The only saving grace is after I die I usually get 15-30 min w/out an invader.

But man... they really hit the PvE outta the park, so I'll probably be building a few characters to test my mettle :)

You can cheese Lucatiel and Benhart's questlines with Bonfire Ascetics. You have to complete 3 boss fights with them, but not 3 different bosses. Just pick out the the easiest boss for them, and Ascetic to do them 3 times. Everyone seems to be using the Rotten for Lucatiel and Prowling Magus for Benhart. And use the Red Eye Ring to keep the bosses attention on you.

You can cheese Lucatiel and Benhart's questlines with Bonfire Ascetics. You have to complete 3 boss fights with them, but not 3 different bosses. Just pick out the the easiest boss for them, and Ascetic to do them 3 times. Everyone seems to be using the Rotten for Lucatiel and Prowling Magus for Benhart. And use the Red Eye Ring to keep the bosses attention on you.

Well I completed the Lucatiel one and have finished the LGK for Benhart, the giant king is probably going to be the hardest to keep him alive, but I'll try to use the ring since it's so easy to kill at range while on the platform. But if I can't I'll use the Ascetic.

Well I completed the Lucatiel one and have finished the LGK for Benhart, the giant king is probably going to be the hardest to keep him alive, but I'll try to use the ring since it's so easy to kill at range while on the platform. But if I can't I'll use the Ascetic.

Did you manage to get Lucatiel through Smelter?

I think Giant King shouldn't be a problem. You can use the aggro ring to hold his attention to yourself on the platform to the left. Benhart should just run under his feet without being noticed. Provided he doesn't get blown up on the way, that is.

Did you manage to get Lucatiel through Smelter?

I think Giant King shouldn't be a problem. You can use the aggro ring to hold his attention to yourself on the platform to the left. Benhart should just run under his feet without being noticed. Provided he doesn't get blown up on the way, that is.

Yeah, I got her through Smelter, though it was a close one and had another phantom to help. Made quick work of him w/ sorceries. I never could get her through Lost Sinner though in NG+... those damn pyros and Lucatiel is pretty worthless at defending herself.

The only thing I'm concerned about w/ Benhart are the bombs before the Giant King, but I bet he can survive one or two hits. Shouldn't be too tough once I get there. After that I should just have to move to NG++, get to Drangleic and buy the NG++ spells.

The one I'm worried about is hidden weapon. Hoping I can buy it instead of forcing me to do NG+ or NG++ PvP in Belfry.

So I want the Moonlight greatsword before heading on to NG+... is it possible to beat Dukes Dear Freja? I have a +10 weapon, decent stats (27 Vig, 20 End, 62 INT, only 10 ADP though...) Anyone got a good strategy?

So I want the Moonlight greatsword before heading on to NG+... is it possible to beat Dukes Dear Freja? I have a +10 weapon, decent stats (27 Vig, 20 End, 62 INT, only 10 ADP though...) Anyone got a good strategy?

You'll need to use a bonfire Ascetic so that Dukes Dear Freja is NG+ in order to get the Paledrake Soul. It's definitely possible to beat her w/ your stats, but it probably won't be easy

You'll need to use a bonfire Ascetic so that Dukes Dear Freja is NG+ in order to get the Paledrake Soul. It's definitely possible to beat her w/ your stats, but it probably won't be easy

Yeah well I just tried a few times... the problem is not the boss itself but those little spiders, in NG+ they hit for like a quarter of my health.

Also, does ADP help significantly? I have a couple soul vessels lying around and really need to start over anyways. What level should it be raised to?

You have to clear out the little spiders first. I used a bow with fire arrows, but if you're playing a mage, you can surely use Soul Arrows for them. You should be able to beat her with your current stats. Make sure your melee weapon is infused to Magic or Enchanted. And you can always summon a few phantoms.

ADP improves a few resistances, Agility, and when raised in conjunction with END it gives you natural Poise. Agility is the biggest one. People are still arguing over it's usefulness. Some people claim that it increases i-frames for rolls and recommend at least 100 Agility. Others say it's pointless and does nothing. It's something you have to decide on your own. I think it does help, and use it on my characters. Points in ATN also raises Agility, just in smaller increments than ADP.

I got to 100 Agility with 25 ADP and 5 ATN on my Dex build. With 20 ADP and 20 ATN on my Faith build.

You don't really need 62 points in INT. The biggest stat increases come between 30-40. It's not really worth going past 50. I'd say move some of those points over to ADP. If there's a spell you need higher INT for, just use some spices to lower the requirements.

If you decide that ADP isn't doing anything for you, you can always change it back.

For all you who hated the Shrine of Amana, From feels your pain and is nerfing the mages in the next patch. Along with some other good changes. Including Flexile and Sinners NG+ friends, and Moonlight Great Sword nerfs. Yay!

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/22i1y3/online_regulation_patch_v104_fully_translated/

Yeah I saw that this morning. I kind of wish they weren't nerfing Sinner, because I think it's the best-designed fight in the game, but at least it's not getting mechanically easier, just less punishing. Everything else looks cool to me.

ADP improves a few resistances, Agility, and when raised in conjunction with END it gives you natural Poise. Agility is the biggest one. People are still arguing over it's usefulness. Some people claim that it increases i-frames for rolls and recommend at least 100 Agility. Others say it's pointless and does nothing. It's something you have to decide on your own. I think it does help, and use it on my characters. Points in ATN also raises Agility, just in smaller increments than ADP.

You don't really need 62 points in INT. The biggest stat increases come between 30-40. It's not really worth going past 50. I'd say move some of those points over to ADP. If there's a spell you need higher INT for, just use some spices to lower the requirements.

ADP does a few things. It makes you faster in general... running, rolling, swinging... It also increases your i-frames for rolling. I've also seen in videos to have a bigger parry window, but this isn't 100% confirmed. .

I agree w/ the INT. Use spices to lower the requirements of the 'big' spells like soul geyser and lower your int to 50. If you need more use the ring of knowledge and/or one of the magic hoods that will increase INT 1-3 points. I use the hexers hood.

For all you who hated the Shrine of Amana, From feels your pain and is nerfing the mages in the next patch. Along with some other good changes. Including Flexile and Sinners NG+ friends, and Moonlight Great Sword nerfs. Yay!

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/22i1y3/online_regulation_patch_v104_fully_translated/

I'm actually a little disappointed w/ this. I took on the Shrine a couple days ago using the bow strategy and it was pitifully easy, nerfing it wasn't necessary IMO. The only truly difficult part was that I ALWAYS get invaded when I enter a new zone in NG+, but the rest of the level was a cake walk. I kind of wish they weren't patching anything since I've seen a very wide range of builds for invaders.

Bows are kind of the "I win" button for Shrine of Amana. If, like me, you don't have the stats to equip a bow, it's miserable -- I almost quit the game for good over it. So while it's good you didn't have much trouble with it, you need to recognize that that's only true for your very particular play style and that the game needs I be fun for all play styles.

A patch and a round of bans for the cheaters. What a good day it's been.

I thought it was a little strange... last night I set up camp in Heide's to burn off some sin. But I kept getting invaded by people who seemed to be looking for legit battles. It confused me, but that'll explain it. Well, except for that one MLGS/CMW asshole, but now he'll be gone too.

Praise the Sun!

Edit - I agree, they didn't need to mess with Sinner. Taking a bit off of her NG+ helpers is understandable. I haven't tried them, but it sounds like they were a nightmare. And they especially didn't need to nerf the Last Giant or Royal Rat Authority. I like all the other changes.

Bows are kind of the "I win" button for Shrine of Amana. If, like me, you don't have the stats to equip a bow, it's miserable -- I almost quit the game for good over it. So while it's good you didn't have much trouble with it, you need to recognize that that's only true for your very particular play style and that the game needs I be fun for all play styles.

TOTALLY get that, I had so much trouble my first time through, but you should be able to do a decent amount of damage if you can upgrade a shortbow, make it fire, and then use fire arrows (or whatever) you should be able to deal enough damage to snipe a few of those a$$holes. There's also the option of respec'ing for that section so you can equip the bow and then respec when you're done. There are quite a few of the items that allow that which would make sense if they built a level or two that would require it for some builds. I was totally frustrated by it, but now looking back, it was because I was stuck in an old mindset of not wanting to use that function and not having the game force me to do something I don't necessarily want to do. Looking back it's kind of ingenius, though a frustrating learning experience :)

Archived