[Spoilers] Dark Souls 2 part Deux

aceluby

Been doing belfry farming today w/ my Dex build... Either I'm REALLY good, or these guys are just terribly bad. I've lost once in about 20 invasions and I'm not even doing anything sneaky, just power stancing a short and long sword. Sitting on 17 chunks at the moment, but nothing to use them on since I'm hurting for large titanite.

I also somehow got the Lost Sinner's soul and have no recollection of going that route at all with this character, much less taking on the boss. I want to head down there next and see if I actually did, which would be funny because I would have had to have done it when I was super drunk last weekend after drinking scotch after scotch at the bar.

Heaving drinking can get you into trouble with these games. Once or twice I've turned the game on and had no recollection of how I got to that bonfire or what I had accomplished.

Heaving drinking can get you into trouble with these games. Once or twice I've turned the game on and had no recollection of how I got to that bonfire or what I had accomplished.

Usually it's not so bad because of how terrible you play when inebriated. Apparently I either did a fine job, or got a free boss soul via a glitch.

I can finally read this thread! Wandering around Majula is awesome. Killed a big giant, didn't see much of anything but his feet since I was busy hacking away at them. Felt bad about killing him too, since even though he was a weird-looking motherfucker he's apparently the last one or something. Got a fire sword, got a lightning sword, and I've got a bastard sword I'm not really using because I need a stab move somewhere for when bigass things come my way.

Besides skeletons being weak to strike, what other general stuff do I need to know about damage types? Stabbing good against heavy-armored guys?

edit: If I wanted to pick up some kind of magic as a sideshow for hitting things with a sword, should I go for Sorceries or Miracles? Just throwing a few things in for utility/flexibility, not really focusing on them too much. Fth has the heals, but Int has the chameleon/fall control/etc stuff. Both get weapon buffs.

Impatience won out and I fired up Demon's Souls. I haven't played it in years, so it's almost like a blind playthrough. Well, not entirely. I still remember basic level layouts and boss strategies, but there's a lot I don't remember. Comparitively, the combat in Dark Souls 2 is smoother, the world much more detailed, armor and weapon more varied. Demon's Souls has better lighting though. It took me a little while to get used to the stiffness of the animations and lack of attack options. So far I feel like it's actually much easier than DS2 since all you really need to do is circle strafe and backstab everything. DS2 has a lot of backstab resistant enemies and forces you into baiting attacks and countering. And, of course, Dark Souls was just a parry-fest, which is much harder to pull off in Dark Souls 2.

I've been wandering around Boletaria and Latria, remembering my first time through and thinking "how did I die to this stuff so many times?" So as far as 'casualizing' the game, I'm going to say that they haven't gotten any easier, I've just gotten better at playing them.

I can finally read this thread! Wandering around Majula is awesome. Killed a big giant, didn't see much of anything but his feet since I was busy hacking away at them. Felt bad about killing him too, since even though he was a weird-looking motherfucker he's apparently the last one or something. Got a fire sword, got a lightning sword, and I've got a bastard sword I'm not really using because I need a stab move somewhere for when bigass things come my way.

Finally you PC guys get to play! I really want to get the PC version too, but I doubt mine could handle it. Or if it did, it would have to be on the lowest settings, and therefore not significantly better than it is now on PS3.

The Bastard Sword is awesome. I've used one for most of my playthrough, and have switched to dual wielding them. I have 6 of them upgraded to +10. Once you get used the timing, the overhead slam is just as effective as the thrust on a Claymore. Better if you're fighting on a decline, or trying to hit a Crystal Lizard.

Besides skeletons being weak to strike, what other general stuff do I need to know about damage types? Stabbing good against heavy-armored guys?

Blunt weapons (strike?) seem to be the most universally useful. Clubs/Great Clubs are said the be the most OP weapons, especially dual wielded, due to poise breaking mostly (I think). I don't use them, seems boring. But I did start with a Mace, and while it was a little slow it was effective pretty much everywhere.

edit: If I wanted to pick up some kind of magic as a sideshow for hitting things with a sword, should I go for Sorceries or Miracles? Just throwing a few things in for utility/flexibility, not really focusing on them too much. Fth has the heals, but Int has the chameleon/fall control/etc stuff. Both get weapon buffs.

I go for Faith. I think it's a good choice if you're just looking for a couple of spells to compliment a primarily melee approach. There aren't a lot of useful Miracles. You've basically got variations of Lightning Spear, Soul Appease and Sunlight Blade (buff). Then a couple of Miracles that sound cool, but are actually shit. And some healing stuff that I never found necessary after finding a few Estus Shards.

Magic OTOH, has a lot more variation, and seemingly** a lot of useful spells. But I feel like if you're using Magic, then it's probably going to be your primary approach. Just how I feel about it, I'm sure some people will disagree.

Or you could just wait until you find the Pyro trainer. Pyro scales to INT/FTH now, but is still effective even without investing points into them.

There is a consumable item that does the same thing as Chameleon, and a ring to reduce fall damage.

** 'Seemingly' because I haven't used Magic, but I have died a fair variety of it.

Fancy. I'll keep an eye out for a claymore too. Skipped on Pursuer and am trying to fight these metal knights in the Heide Tower so I can upgrade some weapons, armor, and maybe get some new stuff. Finally got my ADP up to a point where I can actually dodge/roll/parry/block without a massive input delay, so souls can go somewhere else now. Faith is on the list! Right after Str and fully upgraded weapons.

Using the bastard sword two-handed, I really like how the R1 chains into the R2, making for a really nice quick stunning hit followed by a strong attack.

That fire longsword will be able to take you through half the game and you won't get a whole lot of titanite early, so my advice would be to upgrade that first. I'm dual wielding it w/ a shortsword and just owning in PvP. There's also some REALLY good armor after you beat the pursuer if you drop down that can be the only armor you'll need for the entire game. Also, after the giant go upstairs from the bonfire there's a locked door that has some goodies in it.

Still on the fense on whether I get the PC version. Depends on how much my brother plays it after his first playthrough.

The Drangleic armor is really good, but it's also rather heavy. The Alva set is a good option if you don't want to drop points into VIT yet. And Elite Knight is good for a modest VIT investment.

Plus the Drangleic set needs Twinkling Titanite to upgrade. Better off saving the Twinklies and wearing something that's more easily upgraded.

I'm getting the urge to start up a new character for a Covenant of Champions run. This game just won't let me go.

I'm getting the urge to start up a new character for a Covenant of Champions run. This game just won't let me go.

Do this, plus punching weapons only. That's my plan for my second run. I will beat everything with my life-affirming flesh, dammit! Which, uh, sounds dirtier than I wanted it to, but hey.

Also, I just killed

Ornstein, or an Ornstein lookalike. Cool!

I really like the white soapstone variants. Little one is basically a free humanity, and the big one gets you some chances to explore the level.

Did that accidentally on my first playthrough. Couldn't figure out why Pursuer was so difficult and I couldn't summon or be summoned. Holy cow was that first level hard and the whole time I thought I just sucked. Well... I do... just a little less than I originally thought ;)

Do this, plus punching weapons only.

I'm not manly enough for a fist only Champions run. But I am adding a little extra challenge by doing no shield/bow/magic.

Did that accidentally on my first playthrough. Couldn't figure out why Pursuer was so difficult and I couldn't summon or be summoned. Holy cow was that first level hard and the whole time I thought I just sucked.

I'm struggling my way through the Forest now. Getting wrecked by the Heide Knight. I think the Pursuer is going to be easier than him.

I don't even want to think about Iron Keep and Shrine of Amana.

So I've cleared the forest I think and Heide and No Man's Wharf. The Pharros stone really helps out in the wharf against the big armed guys. Speaking of, is there any lore which would connect them to Oolacile? They look quite a bit like the abyss tainted people there.

I got to a boss (bosses) in the Bastille the tall skinny bronze looking guys but I could barely touch any of them. Are they weak to any form of damage? I'm primarily using my +4 Halberd and the Heide Knight Sword.

I'm not sure Company of Champions is having any effect on difficulty. My initial ttrouble seems to havebeen a result of no shield and base Agility. I power levelled ADP and now it business as usual. Charged through everything in the Forest, Heide's and No Man's Wharf. Only died three times. Once at the first Pursuer encounter (still had low ADP), once to Old Dragonslayer and once due to my controller running out of batteries while I was surrounded b Varangians.

Edit:

I got to a boss (bosses) in the Bastille the tall skinny bronze looking guys but I could barely touch any of them. Are they weak to any form of damage? I'm primarily using my +4 Halberd and the Heide Knight Sword.

The Ruin Sentines are weak to Lightning. Gold Pine Resin the Halberd if you ave one, or upgrade the Heide Sword.

The Ruin Sentines are weak to Lightning. Gold Pine Resin the Halberd if you ave one, or upgrade the Heide Sword.

Thanks for the help. I got them down on try #4 with the help of the mage Summon and the red eye ring. I tanked and she did all the damage. So I've got the Bastille cleared up to the Sinner's Rise, I'm just starting Iron Keep. So the other two big souls; one comes from the pit in Majula right? Where is the other one?

old Dragonslayer

So I was kind of disappointed at first with how easy he was. He's just a much, much slower and less powerful version of Super Ornstein. However I think lorewise that is the actual Ornstein, if likely a hollowed Ornstein. That would explain why he's so shitty. I have to think the O and S you fight in DS1 were illusions created by Gwyndolin controlled by the two dudes who show up when you destroy the Anor Londo illusion.

There's 4 Great Souls. You get them at Sinner's Rise, Iron Keep, Black Gulch (down the hole), and Brightstone Cove Tseldora. To get to Brightstone Cove you have to take the other path out of Majula, where Benhart was sitting. You'll need a Fragrant Branch of Yore to de-petrify the girl blocking the switch.

She's also the Pyro trainer.

old Dragonslayer

So I was kind of disappointed at first with how easy he was. He's just a much, much slower and less powerful version of Super Ornstein. However I think lorewise that is the actual Ornstein, if likely a hollowed Ornstein. That would explain why he's so shitty. I have to think the O and S you fight in DS1 were illusions created by Gwyndolin controlled by the two dudes who show up when you destroy the Anor Londo illusion.

He's also using dark magic now, where he originally had lightning attacks. If it is him, then he seems to have spent some time in the Abyss.

Started up Demon's Souls again... wow is it easy so far. Only died twice, once to the tutorial boss (tutorial was WAY different than I remember), and once to the Tower Knight when the camera prevented me from seeing anything and I got stomped. Otherwise I've taken out the Phalynx, Tower Knight, Armored Spider, and red dragon w/out issue doing pretty much straight melee (bow & arrow for the dragon).

It's a ghost town there, basically put my summon sign down wherever I can and have yet to be summoned. Not all that surprising given that there are two newer games out. The lore and story is better and more complete than the Dark Souls series, esp w/out the DLC. The environment vibe and level design is also much better than the Dark series. The way shortcuts are handled is so much better than the constant bonfires in the current iteration. Hopefully I get some time today to take on 2-2 and flame lurker, I know my purple flame shield will help. I've only cheesed this boss when I first played this game, so it will be like a new boss again as I try to take him on w/ a sword & board.

Ruin Sentinels are also really easy if you use a decently long weapon of any type and the Drangleic shield. 100% physical resist with decent stability against short combos that are well-telegraphed means that almost all of the time, if they do break your guard, they'll take so long to swing again that your stamina has fully recovered. They also only ever broke my guard when both attacked me simultaneously, so the fight pretty much turned into raising my shield when they attacked, hitting them back once, and then keeping my shield lowered until they started winding up again for maximum stamina regen while backpedaling. Just don't get greedy and try to hit twice, and you'll get there.

They really need a guardbreak, elemental, or grab move. Or better AI where they eventually (say when one hits half health or something) start trying to approach you from both sides. Shields utterly break them (like DS1, really.) DS2 did a lot to reduce the efficacy of turtling, but it still works wonders against the Ruin Sentinels.

edit: vvvv Yeah, I'm soloing everything I can. I sunbro to get souls and summon the people who seem like they'll be story-line important to summon, but I'm doing my best to go through it alone. Player help is right out after I ruined the Pursuers fight for myself. I'm planning on ascetic-ing that area and doing it again properly.

The single Sentinel you can mostly just sidestep, but I had to block the second two, and since I'm mostly a sorcerer who sometimes gets punchy, it was a close thing on stamina.

Note also that many people base their comments on a jolly cooperation experience, but they have to be beatable solo. (I beat them solo, I'm soloing the whole game.) So bear that in mind when people offer their opinions on the fights.

Started up Demon's Souls again... wow is it easy so far. Only died twice, once to the tutorial boss (tutorial was WAY different than I remember), and once to the Tower Knight when the camera prevented me from seeing anything and I got stomped. Otherwise I've taken out the Phalynx, Tower Knight, Armored Spider, and red dragon w/out issue doing pretty much straight melee (bow & arrow for the dragon).

Yeah, it's been pretty easy for me too. I've died a few times, mostly to Vanguard, once in the tutorial and twice in Shrine of Storms. Also did a suicide run for the Purple Flame Shield. Then dying on purpose in the Nexus, just in case.

So far I've gone through Phalanx, Tower Knight, False Idol, Armored Spider and Adjudicator. Flamelurker is up next, I think.

I'm determined to go through without cheesing out any of the bosses. No fog door glitch on Maneater. No getting Flamelurker stuck. No Biorr at Penetrator. It's actually the first time I've ever beaten Armored Spider withouth using a bow.

I did use the Thomas glitch though, for some upgrade materials and Grasses that I didn't feel like farming. I tried to resist, but... Oh well. That's one thing that definately improved in Dark Souls.

The single Sentinel you can mostly just sidestep, but I had to block the second two, and since I'm mostly a sorcerer who sometimes gets punchy, it was a close thing on stamina.

Note also that many people base their comments on a jolly cooperation experience, but they have to be beatable solo. (I beat them solo, I'm soloing the whole game.) So bear that in mind when people offer their opinions on the fights.

I've been through 4 times, twice solo (NG, NG++), twice co-op (NG, NG+). And started a 5th solo game. Everything is easy when you have a pair of phantoms with you. Easy to the point that it got kind of boring, which is why I went back to solo.

The Ruin Sentinels are tough solo. The first one is easy, sure. But the other 2 at once, melee, is a bit trickier. They don't always come at you together or sync up their attacks. They have approached me from both sides. Or one attacks while I was guard broken from blocking the other. You have to be very patient and very aware of where they are. Magic/Miracles help a lot.

Pre-patch you could get end up having to fight 4 at once in Drangleic Castle if you weren't careful. Plus a few stone soldiers thrown in.

Archived