[Spoilers] Dark Souls 2 part Deux

aceluby

Yeah, no cheesing for me either. First time I did the Armored Spider w/ melee too... still didn't die because my shield is a BEAST. I got the purple flame shield after beating the red dragon since he's not there to flame you if you do. Should make Flamelurker at least manageable as I strive not to cheese him. I'm not doing the item glitch either... playing all 3 games the way they were meant to be played, though I will probably do a champions run for DS2 for a little extra umph.

The Gargoyles just don't flinch. Bastards. I got them down to two remaining (I hope) and finally slipped up. But the way they simply don't twitch after I smash their stupid faces with a large club is getting me killed so many times.

edit: vvvvvv Yeah, the main problem I'm having is that I decided I want to start going into hexes on my sword guy, so my stats are all over the place and completely not helping. I've got a bunch of levels in ATN, Int, and fth just chilling so I can cast an utterly basic dark orb. It'll pay off in the long run, but for now...ugh. Plus a bunch of dex going for a Drangleic sword that I then found out upgrades with twinkling. Basically, my stats are all jacked and I have what amounts to my starting health and stamina.

Went through the Gutter/Black Gulch on my Company of Champions character. Still not seeing any change in difficulty. The enemies may hit a little harder, but I always had a shield before so I'm not sure.

Got the Pursuers Ultra Greatsword, which was my target weapon. But it's really heavy. I'm going to have to dump another 10-15 points into VIT to be able to use it and still fast roll.

The Gargoyles just don't flinch. Bastards. I got them down to two remaining (I hope) and finally slipped up. But the way they simply don't twitch after I smash their stupid faces with a large club is getting me killed so many times.

There are 6 Gargoyles total. They initially spawn 2, but getting one down to half health will cause another one to animate. Try to finish them off 1 at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.

How are my fellow PCbros doing? I'm slowly plodding along. The Pursuer was an incredibly annoying boss, not because he was particularly difficult, but because idiots I summoned kept on killing me with those catapult things.

Also I haven't been invaded yet. I'm guessing there's not many people invading yet on PC because it hasn't been out long, or maybe just because whatever stuff is needed to invade isn't generally obtained until after Forest of Giants? I don't know.

Cleared the path from Huntsman's Copse up to the entrance of Iron Keep. Acutally found 2 rooms in Earthen Peak that I'd never noticed before. Hurrah for exploration!

Executioners Chariot is such a pain with no shield. Go into the alcoves and get pinned down by skeletons. No longer able to turtle until the Chariot swept past, I just died instead. Out in the corridor you still need to be careful not to get surrounder; those skeletons are really aggressive. Managed it on the 4th try.

So next up is Iron Keep, which I'm expecting to be a little more challenging going in without poison arrows.

How are my fellow PCbros doing? I'm slowly plodding along. The Pursuer was an incredibly annoying boss, not because he was particularly difficult, but because idiots I summoned kept on killing me with those catapult things.

Also I haven't been invaded yet. I'm guessing there's not many people invading yet on PC because it hasn't been out long, or maybe just because whatever stuff is needed to invade isn't generally obtained until after Forest of Giants? I don't know.

The Pursuer is a pretty cool fight solo. Let's you know early on that the game hasn't gone soft. But yeah, idiots firing the ballista... well, if you hit him with it it'll take him down about 95%. But it's really only necessary for speed runs. With 3 people fighting him it's going to be quick anyway. And no worry over friendly fire.

On PS3 invasions are rare too. In NG I was only invaded twice (by red phantoms), once on each character, and those at the end of the game. It's supposedly more common in NG+, but I was only invaded once there too. Even wore the Red String for a while, and still nothing.

If you want a lot of PVP then kill all of the NPC's before flipping to NG+, then hang out at Heide's.

There are also a couple of covenant areas later that should see plenty of invasions. But they are optional and potentially missable.

It's a combination of Soul Memory, no unlimited Eye Orb, and the pool of potential invadees being so much larger. There just aren't enough red's to go around.

If you want to do some low level invading yourself, you can farm a few Cracked Red Eye Orbs from the pigs in Majula. There were a couple to pick up in Things Betwixt too.

So this is a stupid question. I never did figure out how to get to that big monster in Things Betwixt that you can see from one of the tutorial segments. How do you reach it?

Through the 3rd fog gate coming from the bonfire. You go through a short area - you have to kick a tree down to cross, then drop down to another room. After that you come outside, if you turn left then there is another tree to kick over and return to the main path. If you go straight/right, you go down to where the coffin and ogre are.

There are actually 2 ogres. And if you beat them, then you can get the Handmaiden's Ladle from the girl in the Firekeepers house. Not that it's any good.

There's also another ogre on a hidden path before the Firekeepers house.

If you want to be invaded, step into the motherfucking Belfry. Its a slaughterhouse (and so much fun). I wish that Bellbros would only invade one at a time (or that invadees got rewards for killing them) to encourage more people to hang out, but I could pop on my invasion ring right now and probably get a hit within a few seconds. At primetime, I get another invasion queued up faster than I can take off the ring.

And one of the games best bosses. Better if you keep lights off.

And just wait until you fight her in NG+. :thumbsup:

They're already on. :(

So this is a stupid question. I never did figure out how to get to that big monster in Things Betwixt that you can see from one of the tutorial segments. How do you reach it?

There's also one that drops an okay ring before the witches house. If you're coming from the Things Betwixt bonfire, go through the Firekeeper's house, cross the bridge, and immediately hang a right through a narrow passage. Follow the bigass footsteps and you'll find it. I don't like fighting them, their hitboxes seem mushy.

They're already on. :(

It doesn't weaken her. Just makes it a little trickier because the lights being off reduces your lock on range.

There's also one that drops an okay ring before the witches house. If you're coming from the Things Betwixt bonfire, go through the Firekeeper's house, cross the bridge, and immediately hang a right through a narrow passage. Follow the bigass footsteps and you'll find it. I don't like fighting them, their hitboxes seem mushy.

They're easy enough if you can get behind them. They'll just try to sit on you, which you can easily back away from and punish. Or you can lead them to a doorway they can't fit through and bait attacks that way.

Even so, I prefer poison arrows or Lightning Spears if I have the option.

ETA - can anyone tell me what the requirements are to run this on PC? I just have a cheap laptop. But it's a new cheap laptop, so maybe there's a chance of being able to run it.

I'm not completely sure, but I think this is what I have: AMD Quad AA6-5200M 2.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 8400. Good enough? Don't bother?

It doesn't weaken her. Just makes it a little trickier because the lights being off reduces your lock on range.

They're easy enough if you can get behind them. They'll just try to sit on you, which you can easily back away from and punish. Or you can lead them to a doorway they can't fit through and bait attacks that way.

Even so, I prefer poison arrows or Lightning Spears if I have the option.

ETA - can anyone tell me what the requirements are to run this on PC? I just have a cheap laptop. But it's a new cheap laptop, so maybe there's a chance of being able to run it.

I'm not completely sure, but I think this is what I have: AMD Quad AA6-5200M 2.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 8400. Good enough? Don't bother?

That should be fine. Its better than my desktop and I run it at 60fps.

This PCbro is loving the game by the way. I've got all but the Duke's dear's big soul and that seems a matter of time. I switched over to Large club and Zweihander, the damage is too great compared to the stuff I used to use. The PvP is so much more fun. As said earlier the Bell keepers is hilarious fun but the invadees should get a reward for killing them, like a chunk. I like to do two fights as bell keeper then go there for a couple fights to give back lol.

Not very far into the game yet, but some bosses - last giant, lost sinner, flexile sentry, skeleton lords and ruin sentinels - are surprisingly easy.

..and I do miss my divine/occult weapons.

Most of the bosses I've gone against are Demon's Souls level which is kind of disappointing. Nothing on a Artorias level yet, but maybe nothing will that is possibly my favourite video game fight ever.

Indeed, it is somewhat disappointing, I don't play dark souls to succeed first try but to to desperately manage at last after countless tries and ragequits with barely hp left.

Artorias really was something extraordinary, incredibly difficult, required extensive adaptation but all the more rewarding for it - and an absolutely badass entrance, too.

So Iron Keep didn't turn out to be all that hard. I did die a few times, but it was from accidently walking off ledges, not from any of the enemies. Old Iron King took a few tries though, as I had to learn to fight him without Great Lightning Spear.

Next up is the Gargoyles and Sinner.

And you don't get Awestones for defeating Gray Phantoms. :crying: I was hoping, since you get them for Red Phantoms. I was going to camp out in Belfry Sol to farm them. No such luck. Hmmm... maybe Navlaan...

Most of the bosses I've gone against are Demon's Souls level which is kind of disappointing. Nothing on a Artorias level yet, but maybe nothing will that is possibly my favourite video game fight ever.

Artorias was the best boss in any game ever. Kind of hard to live up to that.

Darklurker will fuck you up. If you find him. Other than that, yeah, there are no really memorably hard bosses. There are a bunch that I really liked from a design standpoint though:

Flexile Sentry, Executioners Chariot, Mytha, Smelter Demon, NG+ Freja, Looking Glass Knight, Demon of Song, Throne Watcher and Defender.

Even without that, I still think this a fantastic game.

It's easy to forget how tough Sinner was that first time, without taking actions to make the fight easier or bringing friends. She has some interesting surprises in NG+ too. Definately one of the harder bosses. I kind of wish they didn't put that mechanic in; she might have been the new "I quit" point.

I'm going to fight her 'the hard way' for my CoC playthrough. Seems appropriate.

Archived