Ser Arthur Dayne mention in Season 4 Episode 1

I tried to start a thread about this yesterday but it didn't go through I guess....

Did anyone pause the tv and try to read the book? I did :)

I tried to start a couple threads that never went through, and then 2 days later I see almost the exact same thread I started, done by someone else. I think the system here for approving threads by moderation is suspect.

That's the tricky part. There are no weirwoods near ToJ as far as we know (unless i missed something). So is there a chance that the Reeds will tell him anything about this?

Furthermore, will they go all the way during the ToJ exposition or will they show only the stuff readers already know, i.e. equivalent to Ned's dream?

Might be he just sees a snippet of Ned or someone else, who is back in Winterfell and who is talking to someone about it. When he then tells the Reeds what he saw, they might guess what it was about and tell him the whole story as they know it?! Or maybe in the show he will not need the weirwoods but other things can serve as a "medium"? Maybe they just invent there was a weirwood at the ToJ? I really have no idea.

I just have the feeling that they will have to come up with something they can do with Bran without overtaking the books too much and my feeling is that it's gonna be telling those stories that were otherwise tough to incorperate, because let's face it: when in a book you read how someone is telling a story of the past, it's not much different from reading what happens in the present. On screen however someone telling a story is not that impressive if you don't actually show the stuff and I think introducing flashbacks, dream seqences or something in that direction might have overcomplicated the show back then as there is already a lot of complexitiy in the storytelling due to space/location of all the characters. So throwing in another complexity level by spreading it also in time, might have been just too much to start the series of. (I hope someone gets what I mean, it's difficult to explain in english :D )

But I think now that viewers know all the characters better and are more familiar with the overall storyline and setting, it might be a better time to do something like this.

Is there a remote possibility that they may have shot the ToJ sequence well in advance when Sean Bean was on-board during season 1 shooting?

They had shot a few flashbacks about Robert's Rebellion that ended up being cut, I know. I think it was Ned's brother and father dying, though...not too sure. As for what we might get too see, it depends on how strict they're going to be about the location of weirwoods and Bran needing to see through those trees specifically. Obviously there's none in Dorne by the ToJ, but we could get Ned's "let them grow as brothers" line or even possibly the KotLT stuff, but as was mentioned, they could invent some other medium for Bran.

I thought it was funny that Jamie didn't mention that he was there when Arthur Dayne defeated the Smiling Knight. They talked about the kingswood brotherhood outlaws before twice in the show.

Also ser Duncan the Tall gets mentioned again in the show(first time was season one when Old Nan offered to tell Bran and story about him)

I thought it was funny that Jamie didn't mention that he was there when Arthur Dayne defeated the Smiling Knight. They talked about the kingswood brotherhood outlaws before twice in the show.

Also ser Duncan the Tall gets mentioned again in the show(first time was season one when Old Nan offered to tell Bran and story about him)

Jamie squires for Barristan on the show.

I was more impressed with

Dunk the Lunk namedrop :D Although it irked me that they had his entry after Arthur Daynes, since he should have been before

:agree:

I was expecting Jaime to say something about seeing Dayne defeat the Smiling Knight also. And thanks for the reminder about the season one mention of Dunk. I hadn't read the Dunk & Egg stories yet so it didn't sink in at the time.

Seven Gods, I'm going to need another rewatch from season one!

I was expecting Jaime to say something about seeing Dayne defeat the Smiling Knight also.

I may be missing something, but in the books, Jaime squired for Sumner Crakehall and was knighted by Arthur Dayne in the Kingswood after Arthur's defeat of the Smiling Knight.

Yet, in the show, Jaime squired for Barristan, who - in the show and the books - defeated Simon Toyne in the same conflict.

So I think the missing details (at least for me) are (1) who knighted Jaime in the show, (2) did Jaime ride against the Kingswood Brotherhood in the show and, (3) if so, might Barristan have knighted Jaime in the show instead?

The GOT Wiki reveals none of the above, and I can't remember if any of these details have been mentioned in the show... But I wouldn't be surprised if the show has a multitude of unimportant deviations planned where the fake history of major characters is concerned.

Belatedly, I answered one of my questions, thanks to the White Book excerpt thread.

Squired for Barristan Selmy against the Kingswood Outlaws. Knighted and named to the Kingsguard in his sixteenth year for valor in the field.

So, Jaime’s show/book differences:

Book Jaime squired for Crakehall, rode against the Kingswood Brotherhood, sparred with the Smiling Knight, after which Arthur killed the Smiling Knight, after which Jaime was knighted on the field of battle, all at 15 years of age.

Meanwhile, Show Jaime squired for Barristan and rode against the KB (possibly at 15?), but was reportedly knighted in his 16th year, which would appear to have happened (well?) after the defeat of the KB as a separate event.

So at least one of my (rhetorical) questions still stands: who knighted show Jaime? Pointing being (as pertains to this thread), if Show Jaime wasn’t knighted by Arthur on the field of battle, then there’s no reason for Show Jaime to say “I was there” when Joff mentions Arthur. Further, show Jaime likely wouldn’t have sparred with the Smiling Knight (not being near Arthur during the battle), and was most likely not knighted immediately after the defeat of the KB, having not been remarked in (in the show) as displaying valor in that particular battle (instead, he squired for Barristan).

Either way, for the show, it probably makes the most sense that Barristan knighted Jaime because the audience knows who Barristan is, where they have no idea who Arthur is. But I don’t believe that’s been revealed yet, and I also don’t believe it is of significant importance in the show, which tends to gloss over the “minutiae” (e.g. the typos in the White Book).

Anyway, I only wanted to follow up on my previous post because I think it makes sense – in the show – that Jaime wouldn’t have cause to speak up when Joff mentions Arthur, because Show Jaime didn’t ride to battle against the KB by Arthur’s side, and wasn’t knighted on the field immediately after.

Archived