[book spoilers] White Book excerpts

stunningsteve

Just rewatched the scene with the white book and looked closely at the text we can see.

Joff ist talking about Dayne,Dunk and Jaime, but we also get a look at someone elses second(?) page left to Daynes. It can be concluded that this person is Gerold Hightower.

...while defending the honour and property of the Dornish princess, Elia Martell. Handed command to Ser Arthur Dayne due to sustained injuries the same year. Broke three lances against Oswell Whent in the Tourney at Harrenhal and fought with great distinction the melee.
Dispatched by King Aerys to locate the crown Prince Rhaegar Targaryen in the wake of Robert Baratheons rebellion. Died in the Red Mountains of Dorne alongside his sworn brothers Ser Arthur Dayne and Ser Oswell Whent. After refusing to bow a knee to the new King, Robert Baratheon, all three were defeated by a small force led by Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xh9f5bh7jlnt2qc/Screenshot%202014-04-07%2016.25.36.png

I wonder if the beginning is somehow related to the Kingswood Brotherhood or something different. ToJ reference, but no surprise that Lyanna is not mentioned.

Arthur Daynes first page:

Second Son (of) Beric Dayne of the House Starfall. Named "Sword of the Morning" and wielder of the great white blade "Dawn", forged from a fallen star.
Won many tourneys and broke twelve lances against Rhaegar Targary(en), Prince of Dragonstone at the Tourney of Storm's End. In the year of the False Spring, at the Great Tourney at Harrenhal, he stood against all but the prince once more.
Beloved by the people, he acted as their voice in the reign of Aerys II, gathering their concerns and bringing them before the King. Brought in laws for the royal forces to repay the smallfolk for their goods and turned the tide of support against the criminal scourge of the Kingswood Brotherhood. Let the Kingsguard to victory...

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfwjo7d527st1kx/Screenshot%202014-04-07%2016.28.14.png

For some reason the page has a few "typos" ( first sentence is missing an "of" and Rhaegar has the last name "Targary"). The second half is rather interesting.

At last we got a very good look at Jaimes Page:

Squired for Barristan Selmy against the Kingswood Outlaws. Knighted and named to the Kingsguard in his sixteenth year for valor in the field. At the Sack of King's Landing murdered his king, Aerys the second, at the foot of the Iron Throne.
Pardoned by King Robert Baratheon. Thereafter known as Kingslayer.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qdartvuk507kbb/Screenshot%202014-04-07%2016.38.57.png

The squire thingie for Barristan is quite an interesting change and potential build-up for their reunion at some point down the road.

I wonder if the beginning is somehow related to the Kingswood Brotherhood or something different. ToJ reference, but no surprise that Lyanna is not mentioned.

Ulmer, stooped and grey-bearded and loose of skin and limb, stepped to the mark and pulled an arrow from the quiver at his waist. In his youth he had been an outlaw, a member of the infamous Kingswood Brotherhood. He claimed he’d once put an arrow through the hand of the White Bull of the Kingsguard to steal a kiss from the lips of a Dornish princess. He had stolen her jewels too, and a chest of golden dragons, but it was the kiss he liked to boast of in his cups.

I loved seeing the White Book.

I'm very hopeful now that we're going to be getting the Rhaegar and Lyanna backstory.

The mention of Ser Duncan the Tall also made me hopeful that we'd get some info on Summerhall, maybe through Barristan if he starts giving Dany more details about her family.

I don't know why it's bothering me, but it's really weird that they so egregiously misspelled Targaeryn. But other than that, seeing the White Book was really cool and I'm glad they found a way to introduce it into the show.

Have a look at how Shakespeare signed his own name. Names were more malleable in the past

I could be wrong, but I think it was mentioned in the first season that the show changed Jaime to Barristan's squire, obviously different than in the books.

And, yeah, Dayne lead the fight versus the Kingswood Brotherhood after Ulmer shot Hightower through the hand with an arrow.

I don't know why it's bothering me, but it's really weird that they so egregiously misspelled Targaeryn. But other than that, seeing the White Book was really cool and I'm glad they found a way to introduce it into the show.

Don't forget you can't erase and you don't become Commander of the Kingsguard with years of experience in a scriptorium. It seems unlikely that either Barristan or Jaime has used the ability to write much beyond sending military reports, and even then many of them would have been dictated.

Don't forget you can't erase and you don't become Commander of the Kingsguard with years of experience in a scriptorium. It seems unlikely that either Barristan or Jaime has used the ability to write much beyond sending military reports, and even then many of them would have been dictated.

It would have been Barristan who wrote the Hightower and Dayne entries (hence no mention of Lyanna...how would he have known), so mayhaps ol' Barristan the Bold was not such a scholar. Didn't Tywin tell Arya that Show!Jaime was dyslexic back in Season 2? That could be why Jaime's section is still so blank.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived