Protecting Jon, if R+L=J is true (*Potential Spoilers*)

bpdizzle

Ned is keeping a secret. Howland Reed, Arthur & Ashara Dayne are potentially in on it.

There is a huge interest in keeping the secret safe and keeping Jon close by and protected.

How come when he goes to the Wall, no one is keeping an eye on him, especially when he is stabbed?

Thanks for any thoughts.

That's an interesting question. The likeliest answer is that Ned couldn't include another person in the secret and probably thought that Jon would be safe from Robert's Targaryen wrath at the Wall.

You should try to ask this in the R + L = J thread.

Ned is keeping a secret. Howland Reed, Arthur & Ashara Dayne are potentially in on it.

There is a huge interest in keeping the secret safe and keeping Jon close by and protected.

How come when he goes to the Wall, no one is keeping an eye on him, especially when he is stabbed?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ned is dead and Howland is 1000 miles away. Who is supposed to keep an eye on him?

I honestly don't think R+L=J is all that known or else there would be a lot of people trying to kill/capture Jon through out the books.

Ned was very encouraging of Jon joining the Nights Watch which I think is Ned keeping an eye on Jon. In Ned's mind Robert was going to continue being King and then Joffery would become King (Ned didn't know that Joff was actually a Lannister at this point) so Jon being a Targ would just be a target on his back, so he encouraged him to take the black and ship off to The Wall and just do his own thing and then tell him much later on (if he was going to tell him at all, which I don't honestly know if Ned would.)

I know and I guess thats my question. Why make such a big deal the entire time only to leave him be?

I'm confused by what you mean by "make a big deal". There really hasn't been that much emphasis on it. It's not like people are acting strangely towards Jon. It's not as if there have been assassination attempts through out the books?

I know and I guess thats my question. Why make such a big deal the entire time only to leave him be?

Well, Ned have taken care of Jon when he was a child. Now, Jon can take care of himself, as long as the secret of his parentage is not know.

Ned wasn't trying to keep Jon safe because Jon had a big future and important role to play. Ned was keeping Jon safe because he was an innocent baby. The only extraordinary threat to Jon would come from the secret of his parents getting out. Ned didn't need someone to watch over Jon. He only needed to keep the secret. So there is no need to send anyone special to watch Jon.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Don't forget that Ned's own brother is at the wall. Even though he wasn't in on the secret, Benjen was there to keep an eye on Jon. If Ned had to go to King's Landing, then his choices were to bring Jon with him, leave him with Catelyn, or send him to the wall. Based on the scene in GoT where Maester Luwin presented the option of the Watch, Ned seemed to think that the 3rd option was the safest for Jon.

Maester Luwin cut in. “Another solution presents itself,” he said, his voice quiet. “Your brother Benjen came to me about Jon a few days ago. It seems the boy aspires to take the black.”

Ned looked shocked. “He asked to join the Night’s Watch?”

Catelyn said nothing. Let Ned work it out in his own mind; her voice would not be welcome now. Yet gladly would she have kissed the maester just then. His was the perfect solution. Benjen Stark was a Sworn Brother. Jon would be a son to him , the child he would never have. And in time the boy would take the oath as well. He would father no sons who might someday contest with Catelyn’s own grandchildren for Winterfell.

Maester Luwin said, “There is great honor in service on the Wall, my lord.”

“And even a bastard may rise high in the Night’s Watch,” Ned reflected. Still, his voice was troubled. “Jon is so young. If he asked this when he was a man grown, that would be one thing, but a boy of fourteen …”

“A hard sacrifice,” Maester Luwin agreed. “Yet these are hard times, my lord. His road is no crueler than yours or your lady’s.

Catelyn thought of the three children she must lose. It was not easy keeping silent then.

Ned turned away from them to gaze out the window, his long face silent and thoughtful . Finally he sighed, and turned back. “Very well,” he said to Maester Luwin. “I suppose it is for the best. I will speak to Ben.”

“When shall we tell Jon?” the maester asked.

“When I must. Preparations must be made. It will be a fortnight before we are ready to depart. I would sooner let Jon enjoy these last few days . Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well. When the time comes, I will tell him myself.”

"Big Deal" = Keeping the secret, lying.

But there really hasn't been that much of it. It's more a "don't ask because I won't tell" situation. Carolyn doesn't ask, Jon doesn't ask, no one asks. So really it's just a "I'll tell you later."

Then Ned dies.

And it is barely mentioned again.

I think it would be different if Jon/Catelyn/Anyone was actively doing research through out the books. But no one is. Jon isn't asking people "Hey, by any chance where my dad was around the time I was conceived?" Or "Hey Maester Aemon do I look like I could be your relative?"

And it's also not like anyone is going to Jon like, "Hey you kinda look like you might be next in line for the throne! What're you doing here at the wall?!"

I adhere to BR and Arthur as well. But they didnt. Because he is "potentially" dead. This is my question....and perhaps there is no answer yet. Just curious...

What is the Arthur at the Wall theory? I do so love a good crackpot. :drool:

Ned wasn't trying to keep Jon safe because Jon had a big future and important role to play. Ned was keeping Jon safe because he was an innocent baby. The only extraordinary threat to Jon would come from the secret of his parents getting out. Ned didn't need someone to watch over Jon. He only needed to keep the secret. So there is no need to send anyone special to watch Jon.

:agree: Yeah, that's what I meant.

I don't believe that Jon was left alone at the Wall. BR, and my personal fav crackpot Arthur, could protect him there.

I think the very next chapter at the Wall will be of a mysterious hooded figure scooping up Jon's body and fighting off a horde of angry crows.

Archived