Football LXX - Chihuahuas Rising

Zoë Sumra

Phew! Just got home from an amazing day out. My first time at the (not so) new Wembley - what an impressive stadium.

Thoughts on the match: We were far too negative in the first half. You could tell the players were terrified of failure, but if we'd shown a bit more bottle Wigan were there for the taking.

Rosler made a HUGE mistake in removing their best player once they'd gone ahead, and then, once we equalised, they had nothing.

As soon as the 90 minutes were up, Wigan were playing for penalties. And in the end, they got what they deserved. Absolutely nothing.

Really happy for Fabianski, hope he keeps his place for the final.

Come on you reds!

Does it matter?

I've seen United, Liverpool, Arsenal all referred to as reds. Same way you see Everton an Chelsea referred to as blues. Though I have heard red and white on many an occasion too. Strictly speaking, I suppose 'reds' is not the most accurate.

I am stranded at a truck stop off the New Jersey turnpike waiting for a tow truck but I am at a Denny's with terrible, terrible satellite-based wi-fi and I checked in on the game (can't stream at a watchable rate, I tried) and WE HAVE A GOAL and SOCCER.

Also I don't understand our tifo.

Surely Arsenal are the gunners? Referring to the as the reds just sounds weird to me.

The only people who refer to us as the Gunners are those who never go to the games (and the occasional corporate wanker). The correct term is Gooners.

I was wondering the same thing. I thought colours were only used in lieu of any other nicknames.

Man Utd's official nickname is the Red Devils. Their fans are also quite fond of the 'come on you reds' chant.

Does it matter?

I've seen United, Liverpool, Arsenal all referred to as reds. Same way you see Everton an Chelsea referred to as blues. Though I have heard red and white on many an occasion too. Strictly speaking, I suppose 'reds' is not the most accurate.

Thank you.

Boom-tish! :cheers:

Couldn't resist. Just one of those things which is automatically said.

R.e. the "reds" - that is either United or Liverpool depending on what City you are in. No other uses of it in Premier League football. Both have the history/infamy to demand it.

Arsenal are the Gooners.

A can of Red Bull.

Probably a shot at the FO attempts to bribe the GSUs.

Got it, thanks.

And yeah. I remember when it came out and someone was all "Dance for your masters, South Ward."

Couldn't resist. Just one of those things which is automatically said.

R.e. the "reds" - that is either United or Liverpool depending on what City you are in. No other uses of it in Premier League football. Both have the history/infamy to demand it.

Arsenal are the Gooners.

I remember standing in the Clock End in Highbury, with deafening chants of Come on You Reds ringing out all around just after we watched Mickey Thomas score the second at Anfield in 89. So, respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about.

ETA: Why are we even debating this? If you don't believe me, just look at what Arsenal FANS have been saying all night on Twitter.

I remember standing in the Clock End in Highbury, with deafening chants of Come on You Reds ringing out all around just after we watched Mickey Thomas score the second at Anfield in 89. So, respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about.

To be honest, I was born a year after that and every time I've been to Arsenal all I've heard is chants involving the words 'The Arsenal' or 'You Gooners' so I'm only speaking from what experience I've had.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Arsenal aren't widely known as 'the Reds' in same way that Chelsea aren't known as 'the Blues'. Its nothing personal.

Maybe inside London, but not outside it.

Archived