[Show & Book Spoilers] Met Joe Dempsie (Gendry) last night...

jaimereborn

Unexpectedly ran into Joe Dempise, the actor of Gendry last night at bar in central London. I asked him about his role in this upcoming season and he revealed to me that he's not actually in this season at all, but that he's discussed with D & D and his character will be brought back in S5 'having seen things that have changed him'.

Interesting how they might tie him in with future plotlines, and wonder which character arc he might be brought back into? Could he end up meeting up again with Davos and joining the mission to Skagos to find Rickon?

If this is true, it makes me sad we won't see him this season.

I'd always hoped that he would tag along with Brienne & Pod. It would be very emotional for Brienne because he looks like Renly. And I think it would be interesting for Gendry to meet the BWB again after what they did to him last season.

It comes as no surprise to me that we won't see him this year. However, as I am convinced that Brienne will meet Catelyn in season 4, I'm not sure where exactly he could fit in. show!Gendry is unlikely to return to book!Gendry's role in the Brotherhood, as they sold him. However, if he was to continue taking Edric Storm's role he wouldn't appear in season 5 either. Maybe they will have him appear during Jaime's walk through the Riverlands, which brings in the potential for him to return to the path of book!Gendry when Brienne shows up? Or perhaps the 'change' could be him becoming pious and joining the Faith Militant. Following on from that, they could even do a change as extreme as having Gendry become the High Sparrow (which would have had a nice element of poetic justice if not for the fact that Joffrey ordered the deaths of Robert's bastards in the show instead of Cersei). So many possibilities...

If this is true, it makes me sad we won't see him this season.

I'd always hoped that he would tag along with Brienne & Pod. It would be very emotional for Brienne because he looks like Renly. And I think it would be interesting for Gendry to meet the BWB again after what they did to him last season.

Not so much in the show, where he doesn't look like Renly at all.

Providing that Edric has an important arc in TWOW and that Gendry doesn't.

That's a given. But since the show has taken show Gendry off the reservation in terms of his book arc, I can't see it being easy to bring him back to that path. Either way, whether it be Gendry's arc or Edric's or a combination of both that Dempsey will be taking on, it will be material inspired by TWOW, so new to us. I find that rather exciting.

If they want TV Gendry to get to where Book Gendry is at the moment, the most likely thing would be for him to join Jaime and (possibly) Bronn on their way to Riverrun. Maybe he's trying to find Arya or something like that. If that's the case, he'd end up pretty much where Book Gendry is in AFFC.

I think we can assume that Davos sent Gendry away from Westeros to keep him safe, so any meeting with Brienne or Jaime in the Riverlands is unlikely.

He could conceivably turn up in any of Aegons, Tyrions, Vic's, Quentyn's, Arya's or even Sam's storyline.

EDIT: Having said that, on the show didn't Davos send Gendry back to KL? I'm not sure. If thats the case then he could turn up anywhere.

I imagine we'll probably find him back where he was in AFFC, at the Inn. Then we'll have some explanation that after rowing back to Westeros, he went looking for Arya and found Lady Stoneheart, and stayed with the BwB because he likes their new leadership.

I think we can assume that Davos sent Gendry away from Westeros to keep him safe, so any meeting with Brienne or Jaime in the Riverlands is unlikely.

He could conceivably turn up in any of Aegons, Tyrions, Vic's, Quentyn's, Arya's or even Sam's storyline.

EDIT: Having said that, on the show didn't Davos send Gendry back to KL? I'm not sure. If thats the case then he could turn up anywhere.

You're right, Davos directed him to KL ("When you get to Flea Bottom, have a bowl of brown for me").

Of course, we only saw about the first 5 seconds of his voyage, he's never been in a boat before, I'm not sure how sophisticated his navigational equipment is, he doesn't know how to swim, and he's being hunted by the Gold Cloaks and (presumably) Melisandre (not to mention whatever trouble he may encounter traveling through Blackwater Bay) - so "he could turn up anywhere" seems like a pretty darn accurate way of putting things. :thumbsup:

Yep, Davos quite clearly gave him the directions to Westeros (specifically to KL) not away from Westeros.

The Goldcloaks aren't looking for him. He's thought to be dead.

Thus, going to King's Landing is a really bad idea, because it is basically the only place in Westeros where anyone could conceivably recognize him and then inform the Goldcloaks of their mistaken belief.

The Goldcloaks aren't looking for him. He's thought to be dead.

Thus, going to King's Landing is a really bad idea, because it is basically the only place in Westeros where anyone could conceivably recognize him and then inform the Goldcloaks of their mistaken belief.

aside from the blacksmith, who else knows anyone was looking for Gendry ?

Archived