Best Military Mind on ASOIAF?

Jose Stark

I was watching Alexander's and a comment about GOT made me wonder whos the best military mind that we've seen or heard from?

You can count fighting ability, stamina, accomplishments, conquests, results, strategy etc

You got some candidates.....

Aegon "The Conqueror": Along with his sister wives brought all but one of the end kindgoms to their knees and unite them under one theone. The guy had a great army by the end of his campaign. Deduction points go to the facts that his sister wives were instrumental in the planning, the guy had dragons so could he do it without them?

Robb: won every battle but lost the war and was very capable considering his numbers and circumstances

Robert Baratheon: defeated and ended the Targaryen Dinasty . Had help from Ned and Jon

Stannis Baratheon: saved the realm by ending the wildling army and is in the process of liberating the north

Tywin: he has secured the reap for his family and defeated all that opposed him

Tyrion: say what u will but every militart engagement that he has been involved in he has won

Any others?

There's been some great ones in the age of heroes and the time of the Targ dinasty!

Purely military?

Probably Stannis, as he has a good track record and the determination of a pitbull.

Randyll Tarly is not bad either but we haven't seen or heard of him that much yet.

Aegon I was no slouch either, he invaded and conquered Westeros after all.

Randyl Tarly is the best military commander in the Reach.

Euron is a skilled naval commander (one of the best)

Barristan has more experience then just about every person alive and is very skilled at all forms of combat.

Jon Snow is a master at strategic defense and siege warfare (no doubt due to his upbringing at Winterfell)

Dany. Say what you wish about her shitty rule, her military campaign in slavers bay was flawless

I would agree but gets minus points in results and strategy. I mean the aftermaths are devastating and she has not much of an overall strategy except to go from one city to the other.

I'd have to say that in realistic terms I'd put Tywin at the top of the pile.Warfare isn't just individual fighting or even winning battles. A commander needs to spend far more time handling logistics and ensuring his men are well kept than leading a cavalry charge. Sadly I am going to sleep right now, but I will give reasons for my top two commanders:

1. Tywin Lannister: Whatever else one can say about the man, he never loses sight of the REALITIES of warfare. Logistics are handled and he isn't afraid of using methods other than traditional ones to accomplish his goals. The Red Wedding might've been a horrible thing to do, but in my opinion it was also possibly the smartest thing he could've done at that point to secure victory for the Lannisters. The political fallout was well in hand until Varys stepped in and the Lannisters had survived the war at the top of the heap, despite having lost every single notable battle they'd partaken in.
  2. Stannis Baratheon: He might not have the charisma of Robert, but he makes up for it with variety and actual understanding on the principles one fights with. We've seen that he's an able commander on both land and sea and despite having suffered horrible losses is still more than capable of winning the War.

Dany. Say what you wish about her shitty rule, her military campaign in slavers bay was flawless

:lmao: Please point me to a single instance when Dany made a single military decision that required actual ingenuity and strategic thinking on her part?

No, telling people to make battering rams and such don't count, and moving blindly from one city to another with only "army" (such as the Essosi count these things) in the region, doesn't count as maneuvering.

` If we're talking about the best military mind it has to be Robb. He was always outnumbered and always found a way to minimize the disadvantage. No one else in the books can boast that. The closest to me is Tyrion. He defended King's Landing using unorthodox tactics. I'm in a rush so those are the two that came to mind right away.

I also don't see what fighting prowess has to do with being a great military mind. Unless it would count as extra points.

` If we're talking about the best military mind it has to be Robb. He was always outnumbered and always found a way to minimize the disadvantage. No one else in the books can boast that. The closest to me is Tyrion. He defended King's Landing using unorthodox tactics. I'm in a rush so those are the two that came to mind right away.

I also don't see what fighting prowess has to do with being a great military mind. Unless it would count as extra points.

Yeah we can count it for extra points.....

Robb was great but unlike Tywin he lost sight of the bigger picture of the war

Of those who are alive? Stannis, I think.

Dany, really? I don't remember that clearly, but did she work out strategies by herself?

Even if she did, there's not much of strategy. She basically just said that she wants to take the next city and her army did the rest. There's no big picture or anything imo.

Robb Stark.

You cannot argue with that record. The man is constantly outnumbered, both in his riverlands and westerlands campaigns. He is facing constant political and logistical problems.

Yet all Robb did, time after time, again and again, was WIN. Tywin, Stannis, Euron, these men may have had more formal schooling and experience. But none of them did what Robb did, with the resources he had, on that consistent of a basis.

Yeah we can count it for extra points.....

Robb was great but unlike Tywin he lost sight of the bigger picture of the war

He still was the best on the battlefield in terms of strategy and tactics, and his counsel (Bfish) was amazing as well.

And Robert likely was the one who planned the Battle of Summerhall, which was a great move, though was probably from some key intel.

Tywin wins wars, not battles. Tyrion should rank higher on the lists

Stannis is definitely still up there, even with his recent loss at Blackwater. The guy has the strength of Westeros mapped out in his head, which is a huuuge deal

Robb Stark.

You cannot argue with that record. The man is constantly outnumbered, both in his riverlands and westerlands campaigns. He is facing constant political and logistical problems.

Yet all Robb did, time after time, again and again, was WIN. Tywin, Stannis, Euron, these men may have had more formal schooling and experience. But none of them did what Robb did, with the resources he had, on that consistent of a basis.

Well Stannis started the war with only 5000 men on a volcanic island. He's still the only one of the original kings kicking and was holding 3 castles simultaneously in different geographical locations. I would say he was the underdog.

Robb lost his own territory to the Ironborn and many of his successes can be attributed to a united, determined and competent army.

I admire him, but the whole "won every battle" is hardly only his merit. He got the Umbers, Blackfish etc and the power of 2 regions. attacking weakened Westerlands.

Well Stannis started the war with only 5000 men on a volcanic island. He's still the only one of the original kings kicking and was holding 3 castles simultaneously in different geographical locations. I would say he was the underdog.

Robb lost his own territory to the Ironborn and many of his successes can be attributed to a united, determined and competent army.

I admire him, but the whole "won every battle" is hardly only his merit. He got the Umbers, Blackfish etc and the power of 2 regions. attacking weakened Westerlands.

He fought one engagement against other Westerosi. One. The Blackwater. And he got his butt whooped.

Robb lost his own home to the IB... how is that his fault? That means he got cut off from his base, basically leaving him as commander of an army in being, and he still managed to kick some ass after that.

He fought one engagement against other Westerosi. One. The Blackwater. And he got his butt whooped.

Robb lost his own home to the IB... how is that his fault? That means he got cut off from his base, basically leaving him as commander of an army in being, and he still managed to kick some ass after that.

He only lost because of Tywins arrival. And that was not his only battle against westerosi.

Robb left the whole north unprotected.

Archived