Who was the best king?

Waylin Stark

Jaehaerys by far.

The Black King, the Dragonsbane. He restored order to Westeros after a terrible war, and unlike Jaeherys, had no monstrous dragons to scare the sh*t out of people.

Aegon III is definitely up there. One of my personal faves.

My rankings would be

1)Jaehaerys I

2)Viserys II

3)Aegon III

4)Maekar

5)Daeron II

6)Aegon I

7)Jaehaerys II

8)Viserys I

9)Baelor I

10)Aerys I

11)Robert

12)Aenys

13)Maegor

14)Daeron I

15)Aegon II

16)Joffrey

17)Aerys I

18)Aegon IV

By his negligence the guy caused the Dance of Dragons. Jaeherys' succesor was very bad indeed.

Can we really blame King Viserys for that though? He named Rhaenyra his heir early on, and groomed her to be queen. She was the "realms delight". I don't blame him for what happened, it was Cole and Alicent Hightower's fault imo. It's not like King Viserys pulled an Aegon IV and intentionally caused a succession conflict.

Can we really blame King Viserys for that though? He named Rhaenyra his heir early on, and groomed her to be queen. She was the "realms delight". I don't blame him for what happened, it was Cole and Alicent Hightower's fault imo. It's not like King Viserys pulled an Aegon IV and intentionally caused a succession conflict.

Yeah, it's the Small Council who's responsible.

Viserys seems decent enough.

I think a lot of the problem was that he knew of the tensions between the "Blacks" and the "Greens" yet did nothing about it. (Alicent continued to urge him to make Aegon the heir) Hiss Small Council were all Greens too. Still, thats just one way of looking at it.

By no meqns fhe worst king

He named her heir before Aegon II was born. He failed to repeat that move after Aegon's birth. therefore the Greens could go on plotting. He left governing to his council, which was filled with disloyal Greens. If he didn't see the Green's attempt to take the IT coming than he was a dumbass.

He deserves his ranking near the bottom of the sane Targ Kings. It's between him and Aenys anyway. Still not as bad as Aegon IV though, you are right about that.

I agree with Nictarion. Lyman Beesbury makes it obvious that Viserys had openly named Rhaenyra as his heir. It was Hellicent and Cole who started the whole mess.

@OP:

Non Targs:

Brandon "the Builder" Stark

Nymeria Queen of the Rhoyne

Princess Mariya "yellow toad of Dorne" Nymeros Martell

Torrhen "the King Who Knelt" Stark

Night's King's brother the King in the North/Joramun the King-Beyond-the-Wall

Jon Stark :cool4:

Robert "the demon of Trident" Baratheon

Targs:

Aegon III "Dragonbane" Tarharyen

Jaehaerys I "Conciliator" Targaryen, even tho I find the Counsil of 101 a travesty of justice and law

Daeron II "Good" Targaryen

Viserys II Targaryen

Best Targaryen/dragonseet would be Kings:

Beloved daughter of Lady Jocelyn Baratheon and Prince Aemon Targaryen, faithful wife of Lord Corlys Velaryon, mother and grandmother, :bowdown: the Queen Who Never Was :bowdown: lived fearlessly, and died amidst blood and fire.

Brynden "BloodRaven" Rivers

Baelor "Breakspear" Targaryen

Daemon "Rogue" Targaryen

Lucerys Velaryon

Daemon "the King who bore the Sword" Blackfyre

Baela Targaryen

Beloved daughter of Lady Jocelyn Baratheon and Prince Aemon Targaryen, faithful wife of Lord Corlys Velaryon, mother and grandmother, :bowdown: the Queen Who Never Was :bowdown: lived fearlessly, and died amidst blood and fire.

:commie: :commie: :commie:

"Princess Rhaenys made no attempt to flee. With a glad cry and a crack of her whip, she turned Meleys towards her foe."

:commie: :commie: :commie:

"Princess Rhaenys made no attempt to flee. With a glad cry and a crack of her whip, she turned Meleys towards her foe."

Now, she is someone I call shebamf. Visenya and Rhaenys played it safe, and they still lost in Rhaenys case, but the Queen who never was is a level of baawesomeness of her own second only to stfu&gtfo awesomeness of the yellow toad of Dorne.

Now, she is someone I call shebamf. Visenya and Rhaenys played it safe, and they still lost in Rhaenys case, but the Queen who never was is a level of baawesomeness of her own second only to stfu&gtfo awesomeness of the yellow toad of Dorne.

Seconded. Can I also add another to this list?

"...up to meet him rose Baela Targaryen, Prince Daemon's daughter by the Lady Laena, and fearless as her father."

:commie:

Seconded. Can I also add another to this list?

:commie:

Well eff, I had forgotten about Baela you know the saying "like mother, like daughter" in her case is more like "like father, like daugher" plus "like grandmother, like grandaughter". Thank you for that :cheers: *adding Baela to the list* and now I remember that I wanted to start a thread about her after the Dance.

I agree with Nictarion. Lyman Beesbury makes it obvious that Viserys had openly named Rhaenyra as his heir. It was Hellicent and Cole who started the whole mess.

Rhaenyra was named Viserys I heir before Aegon II was born. He was an idiot for not repeating the whole ceremony after Allicent bore him sons, since in the 7 Kingdoms the claim of a (younger) son trumps that of a daughter.

And he was an even bigger idiot for allowing the Greens to completely populate almost all the important positions (the SC, his personal servant, most of the KG).

If he had more than two braincells he would have affirmed Rhaenyra as heir to the IT after Aegon II was born (or in a latter stage skipped a beat and named Jaecerys his heir). And he would have wed either Heleane or her daughter with Aegon II to one of Rhaenyra's children. He would have made sure that the SC and his personal staff wasn't populated with anything other than Greens.

@OP:

Non Targs:

Brandon "the Builder" Stark

Nymeria Queen of the Rhoyne

Princess Mariya "yellow toad of Dorne" Nymeros Martell

Torrhen "the King Who Knelt" Stark

Night's King's brother the King in the North/Joramun the King-Beyond-the-Wall

Jon Stark :cool4:

Robert "the demon of Trident" Baratheon

Bobby B? Seriously? He ranks amongst the lower end of the spectrum if we look at the list of Kings that ruled the entire 7 kingdoms.

I agree with Nictarion. Lyman

Targs:

Aegon III "Dragonbane" Tarharyen

Jaehaerys I "Conciliator" Targaryen, even tho I find the Counsil of 101 a travesty of justice and law

Daeron II "Good" Targaryen

Viserys II Targaryen

Lol, dragonbane above Jaeherys I, Daeron II and Viserys II

Best Targaryen/dragonseet would be Kings:

Brynden "BloodRaven" Rivers

Baelor "Breakspear" Targaryen

Daemon "Rogue" Targaryen

Lucerys Velaryon

Daemon "the King who bore the Sword" Blackfyre

Baela Targaryen

Daemon Blackfyre was an idiot.

Lucerys? (Do you mean Rhaenyra's eldest? Or the one that got killed by Aemond? It's really hard tonkeep those names apart)

Daemon Targaryen had a penchant for making enemies. He woud still be a good King but he's I think a lot better at being a Hand.

But tbe biggest gripe is that Baelor "Breakspear" Targaryen isn't occupying the top position. He's the greatest Targaryen ever. A great military commander, he cared for justice and the common people, had great people skills, was a great hand. If Daeron II had followed his line of thought than the Blackfyres would never have posed a problem. So no future Blackfyre Rebellions, no Dagon Greyjoy, no war of the 9 penny kings and no Roberts Rebellion or war of the 5 Kings in the way it happened (since Illyrio and Varys are behind a lot of the mayhem and escallation of that war).

Rhaenyra was named Viserys I heir before Aegon II was born. He was an idiot for not repeating the whole ceremony after Allicent bore him sons, since in the 7 Kingdoms the claim of a (younger) son trumps that of a daughter.

And he was an even bigger idiot for allowing the Greens to completely populate almost all the important positions (the SC, his personal servant, most of the KG).

If he had more than two braincells he would have affirmed Rhaenyra as heir to the IT after Aegon II was born (or in a latter stage skipped a beat and named Jaecerys his heir). And he would have wed either Heleane or her daughter with Aegon II to one of Rhaenyra's children. He would have made sure that the SC and his personal staff wasn't populated with anything other than Greens.

But iirc even after Aegon's birth he still had Rhaenyra in the counsil meetings with him and for 22 (?) years Rhaenyra was still the heir. I agree that he should had send the Hightowers back to their watchtower.

Bobby B? Seriously? He ranks amongst the lower end of the spectrum if we look at the list of Kings that ruled the entire 7 kingdoms.

I liked him yes his economics sucked but he had a peacefull reign.

Lol, dragonbane above Jaeherys I, Daeron II and Viserys II

It wasn't in *best king* order rather than *who I thought first* order.

But tbe biggest gripe is that Baelor "Breakspear" Targaryen isn't occupying the top position.

Same^

Daemon Blackfyre was an idiot.

He was charismatic for me that is essential for a successful leader.

Lucerys? (Do you mean Rhaenyra's eldest? Or the one that got killed by Aemond? It's really hard tonkeep those names apart)

Rhaenyra's second but yes the one who was killed by Hellicent's spawn.

Daemon Targaryen had a penchant for making enemies. He woud still be a good King but he's I think a lot better at being a Hand.

I think that Daemon was Tywinlike and like Tywin, Daemon wore no crown, yet he was all a king should be.

What's interesting is that Aegon 2 wasn't overly enthused about taking the crown when his mother offered it to him. It's possible that Viserys had talked to him about Rhaenrya succeeding him and was satisfied with the result. He still should have made it clear but I wouldn't entirely blame him.

What's interesting is that Aegon 2 wasn't overly enthused about taking the crown when his mother offered it to him. It's possible that Viserys had talked to him about Rhaenrya succeeding him and was satisfied with the result. He still should have made it clear but I wouldn't entirely blame him.

So we are told ;) (I don't buy it)

So we are told ;) (I don't buy it)

Well, I think it's quite clear that he wasn't too enthused about the prospect if you read PatQ.

Prince Aegon was with a paramour when he was found. At first, the prince refused to be a part ofhis mother’s plans. “My sister is the heir, not me,” he said. “What sort of brother steals his sister’s birthright?”

Only when Ser Criston convinced him that the princess must surely execute him and his brothers should she don the crown did Aegon waver. “Whilst any trueborn Targaryen yet lives, no Strong can ever hope to sit the Iron Throne,” Cole said. “Rhaenyra has no choice but to take your heads if she wishes her bastards to rule after her.”

It was this, and only this, that persuaded Aegon to accept the crown that the small council was offering him,

Well, I think it's quite clear that he wasn't too enthused about the prospect if you read PatQ.

Yes, I've read it. But as with all history (including fictional histories) not everything you read can be trusted.

Archived