[BOOK SPOILERS] Best Improvisations/Book Deviations of 402

Kaspiro

Episode 402 had a few major deviations from the books. Personally, I really liked the War of the Five Kings with dwarves adaptation rather than the dwarf jesters. Much funnier, and it suits the televised adaptation of Joffrey perfectly.

Bronn fighting Jaime

Hinting at Olenna poisoning the cup (or it was Margaery poisoning the pie?).. just like the book (I was expecting some hints to Oberyn being the poisoner).

Olenna shutting Mace: "I'm talking with Tywin!!".

Bran's vision of dragons over a pre-winter KL and an abandoned Iron Throne covered with snow. Things that may never happen, as at the end of ADWD is already snowing in KL and all known dragons are half a world away.

I have a bad feeling about Show-Vargo and Team Shaggy-dog :crying:.

I liked Fat Walda, I disliked Ramsey's Princess Merida, and Roose not saying 'Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother'.

The shaving scene between Theon and Ramsay, though I reckon Theon would most likely have killed him. He's not yet as broken as he is later on. Roose is more judgemental in the series towards Ramsay than he is in the novels. The Dreadfort deviations work better in the series, however, than the deviations elsewhere.

well roose was only chiding ramsay for ruing a valuable hostage, he doesn't care what atrocities he commits ie hunting women flaying prisoners he was upset because he wanted theon in one piece to trade for moat calin.

But...in ASoS, just before the Red Wedding, Roose makes it apparent he's not too concerned with valuing Theon as a hostage, despite what he suggests to Robb, when he presents Catelyn his flayed skin as a gift: which shows, if he isn't complicit in the flaying, he at least doesn't judge it very much.

the dwarves enacting the war of five kings instead of just jousting

thank god ramsay didnt rape the woman before killing her.

yeah but what he did was terrible man eaten alive by dogs is one of the most horrible ways to die.

Like: QoT's comment on what kind of monster murders a man at a wedding.

Unlike: 5 dwarves, at this point Balon Greyjoy and Stannis Baratheon remain unvanquished. A play where the kings enemies remain standing? Unlikely.

Ramsay telling Theon that Robb was dead was good, and made me hate him more and feel some sympathy for Theon. It's good that they established the fact that both were once like brothers. Plus, Ramsay was brilliant in the way he seemed unphased despite the fact Theon had a blade, because he knew Theon wasn't going to hurt him.

Olenna's subtle little hint about killing a man at his wedding being wrong was fantastic. Obvious to book readers, but probably not so obvious to show watchers since they wouldn't suspect her.

Joffrey not only dying with Cersei, but with Jaime beside him as well was a nice touch. I wonder if it'll change Jaime's perception of the event considering it doesn't move him in the books. Maybe actually seeing it happen will make him slightly more affected by it.

I also liked the "war of the 5 kings". It was an interesting twist to the original idea, and it was real fun seeng the faces of the Tyrells during the show. Also, it opens the possibility of retconning Penny as Robb Stark if needed.

The thing about Roose being already in the Dreadfort is: Where is "Arya"?

It's easy to introduce her at S5 if they decide to follow that arch. Just have Roose complaining that he's having trouble rallying the North behind him as they are too used to follow a Stark. And then, come with the idea.

In fact, !showJeyne has never been said to travel to KL. She could be one of the girls at Winterfell that Ramsay captured, and she may have been a prisoner in th Dreadfort since then. It fits quite nicely, I think.

yeah but what he did was terrible man eaten alive by dogs is one of the most horrible ways to die.

If I remember right (don't have access to the books at the moment), it was clear in the book (ADWD) that Ramsey's dogs did not kill his human quarry; they would track them down and hold them at bay and Ramsey himself would rape and kill the girls. The dogs were, on the whole, nicer creatures than Ramsey (I'm not including what the dogs might have done to Jeyne, since if they did, it would have been because Ramsey trained them to do that); they gave rough comfort and shelter to Theon.

Can't wait until Ramsey dies. He's a horror.

Olenna's subtle little hint about killing a man at his wedding being wrong was fantastic. Obvious to book readers, but probably not so obvious to show watchers since they wouldn't suspect her.

That line is from the books.

Archived