GRRM clues [BOOK SPOILERS]

Kasumi

As GRRM wrote this episode, we can all assume he left some clues in it, or some "canon revelations". What did you notice, what did you think of them ?

I will start :

It's not really a clue, but I'm glad he included the dwarves, though I didn't spot any girl dwarf. Still, it may still be important later. Maybe one of them will be revealed to be Penny's brother later ? I wasn't sure she would be included, but with the dwarves at the wedding...

Not really a revelation also, but I was glad to hear Cersei bluntly say "but you love him [Jaime]" to Brienne. Poor Brienne, and her face...

I'm glad they included Walda too, I don't remember if she was in season 3. I hope they explain why Roose choose her. But does that mean she will be important ? (and why cast her if she is not ?)

More importantly : Bran's visions.

--> The dragon's shadow...I know it is probably symbolic, but does it mean that Daenerys will finally get to King's Landing ? Or is it a vision of the past ? Somehow, I think not, since it appeared after Ned's flashback.

--> Winter in King's Landing...or Snow in the throne ? What did you think ?

Have you spot anything else that could be considered as a "message" from GRRM ?

As GRRM wrote this episode, we can all assume he left some clues in it, or some "canon revelations". What did you notice, what did you think of them ?

I will start :

It's not really a clue, but I'm glad he included the dwarves, though I didn't spot any girl dwarf. Still, it may still be important later. Maybe one of them will be revealed to be Penny's brother later ? I wasn't sure she would be included, but with the dwarves at the wedding...

Not really a revelation also, but I was glad to hear Cersei bluntly say "but you love him [Jaime]" to Brienne. Poor Brienne, and her face...

I'm glad they included Walda too, I don't remember if she was in season 3. I hope they explain why Roose choose her. But does that mean she will be important ? (and why cast her if she is not ?)

More importantly : Bran's visions.

--> The dragon's shadow...I know it is probably symbolic, but does it mean that Daenerys will finally get to King's Landing ? Or is it a vision of the past ? Somehow, I think not, since it appeared after Ned's flashback.

--> Winter in King's Landing...or Snow in the throne ? What did you think ?

Have you spot anything else that could be considered as a "message" from GRRM ?

Roose already explained last season why he chose Walda.

I think the dragon shadow over King's landing was a prophecy from the future, and it looked like current day King's Landing..

I'm guessing Penny will slow up, one way or another.

It would be a mistake to assume that "glances" and "looks" are hints from GRRM. He wasn't there during the filming, and that kind of things are influenced by the actors, the directors, and the producers (if they are on set).

If anything comes from GRRM, it's the text. And we can't even be sure of that, as the GRRM's scripts are modifed, shuffled, moved around and rescripted at will.

Was the whole episode written by grrm? You know the way they seem to be mixing up scenes from other episodes written by other writers... I'm assuming that at least the whole KL/wedding scenes were grrm's, right?

From Bran's vision I noticed the sword as well. I think that not just in Bran's vision but in general, they're emphasising ice/oathkeeper/widow's wail (oathkeeper even made it as the title of an episode).

I kind of like GRR highlighting the thing we need to remember about Stannis is he's under Mel's thumb. It creates a lot of tension which will important on the Wall as he sacrifices political expediency for following the Lord of Light (Mance, the Wildlings, ect).

I said elsewhere, but I thought the way Marg looked at the band all lovey dovey (Sigur Ros I think it was) is setting up for her arrest next season or whenever it happens. Remember that Hamish the Harper and the Blue Bard are accused.

I said elsewhere, but I thought the way Marg looked at the band all lovey dovey (Sigur Ros I think it was) is setting up for her arrest next season or whenever it happens. Remember that Hamish the Harper and the Blue Bard are accused.

She looked bored to me (I thought because of its funeral march tempo), but that's a cool reading of it too!

As for Penny, the "Robb Stark" dwarf's face is never shown, and the booming male voice sounded like it could have been a female disguising her voice (KotLT clue?)

The scene at KL covered in snow and in ruins was also Dany's vision in the House of the Undying in season 1 so I think it's a prophecy that winter is coming (enventually.. :rolleyes: ) to Westeros and whatever happens will leave KL in ruins probably from the dragon fire.

It wasn't kl that was covered in snow, both times it was specifically the throne room covered in snow with the added bonus in brans vision of seeing the throne itself covered in snow.

The real question is...is it supposed to be snow on the throne (foreshadowing a great war with the others and winter sweeping the continent), or Snow on the throne?

Love the possibilities.

Was the whole episode written by grrm? You know the way they seem to be mixing up scenes from other episodes written by other writers... I'm assuming that at least the whole KL/wedding scenes were grrm's, right?

From Bran's vision I noticed the sword as well. I think that not just in Bran's vision but in general, they're emphasising ice/oathkeeper/widow's wail (oathkeeper even made it as the title of an episode).

No, the whole episode was NOT written by GRRM. Several scenes outside of King's Landing were cut from first episodes, I read it somewhere. I don't remember which ones and trying to find that article.

Thats my problem too, are Bran's scenes written by GRRM (then the visions are a MAJOR spoiler) or just by another writer, then visions are relatively meaningless - Winter will come to King's Landing, Dany "eventually" going to ride on Dragons there too and White Walkers will continue their advance southward.

Thats my problem too, are Bran's scenes written by GRRM (then the visions are a MAJOR spoiler) or just by another writer, then visions are relatively meaningless - Winter will come to King's Landing, Dany "eventually" going to ride on Dragons there too and White Walkers will continue their advance southward.

Just because GRRM might not have written a scene doesn't make it "relatively meaningless." D&D wrote the first episode, so they also wrote those cut scenes, and they know what's going to happen in the end. So I wouldn't write anything off.

Yeah I agree I doubt there are any hints at all of whats to come in the books, if that's what you mean. Look at last season. GRRM wrote the episode where Talisa tells Robb she's pregnant. I about **** my pants when this happened, thinking 'Well George wrote this episode so that has to mean something significant!!!' Later, we find out though that it was D&D's idea all along. Remember, George has a lot of experience writing for TV. I bet he's just taking the outlines that D&D give him and doing his best to make that into the best scripted show he can and that's it. He is not looking for ways to drop us any clues or hints.

Just because GRRM might not have written a scene doesn't make it "relatively meaningless." D&D wrote the first episode, so they also wrote those cut scenes, and they know what's going to happen in the end. So I wouldn't write anything off.

Not necessarily. Snow in Iron Throne room was a cut scene from Dany's House of Undying vision. At that time D&D had no idea what was going to happen at the end because they only later had that detailed chat with GRRM and went over each POV storyline with him - sometime in 2013 (When they realized that chances of him finishing last book before last season are minimal). So at the time that particular scene was written and filmed, they made it up themselves. If they wanted real hints, they might have used different scenes like reference to Song of Fire and Ice, Roses on the Wall, etc etc - book was full of them. Also, at least several scenes in Bran's tree vision were taken from previous episodes. The only new scenes are that of leaves and trees, White walker ice reflection. Even that girl scene - looks very similar to first scenes of Pilot episode.

Archived