[Book spoilers] Oberyn Martell

Barbossa

As the title says, this thread will contain possible spoilers so if you didn't read the books please click that x button so you can properly enjoy his storyline in the show.

Moving on , so whats the general opinion on show Oberyn so far? I for one think they got the casting spot on but they really butchered his intro. What i mean by that is that we have gotten very little back ground on him, background that would have been vital in my opinion to this week end episode.

They only showed that he hates the Lanister but they didn't present two major feats of his: that he studied at the citadel and that he learned poison techniques.

Also for his background they didn't mention that he founded a bad ass mercenary company, that he is good to his bastard children and so on. I think they probably didn't want to get the unsullied riled up as it would seem to them like another Ned Stark situation.

So what's everybody takes on how they threaded show Oberyn so far?

P.S : i really really hope he doesn't die in the show.

Well being that he will be part of the council and the group to hear tyrion's trial, and TRV vs TMtR isn't until episode 8 there is still time to backstory and set his character up. Really the only backstory needed on him that has yet to come up would be the 1 on 1 fight to first blood he had back in the day where he was suspected of poisoning the tip of his spear and ended up killing the dude. Yronwood person I believe without looking.

You'll see a lot more of TRV from here on out as his role gets much larger. I do agree though in the book him meeting Tyrion on horseback was a really cool dialogue.

As the title says, this thread will contain possible spoilers so if you didn't read the books please click that x button so you can properly enjoy his storyline in the show.

Moving on , so whats the general opinion on show Oberyn so far? I for one think they got the casting spot on but they really butchered his intro. What i mean by that is that we have gotten very little back ground on him, background that would have been vital in my opinion to this week end episode.

They only showed that he hates the Lanister but they didn't present two major feats of his: that he studied at the citadel and that he learned poison techniques.

Also for his background they didn't mention that he founded a bad ass mercenary company, that he is good to his bastard children and so on. I think they probably didn't want to get the unsullied riled up as it would seem to them like another Ned Stark situation.

I like show Oberyn so far. They could have given him more backstory by now indeed, but I love how he openly insulted Tywin and Cersei.

Also, they already painted him as one of the good guys. Unlike most guys at the wedding, he was not amused by Joffrey's antics and they already pointed out that he comes from a culture where people aren't judged for how they are born.

I'd love for Oberyn to last, but I don't see that happening. That would be by far the biggest change from the books, but I would love it. It would make the show far more unpredictable, and after just 2 episodes, Oberyn is already my favorite character by far. I would love for him to stick around.

I'd like him to last too, but doesn't Tyrion's conviction and ensuing murder of Tywin and travels to Essos all depend on Oberyn's death?

Well, they could spind it in some way. Maybe, even if Oberyn wins they will still convict him. That would show just how corrupt and mean Tywin and Cersei are, so Tyrion would still need to go to Essos. Oberyn could then sail back to Dorne and maybe they could give him a new role there.

OP, I would wait till the dust is settled before complaining about lack of development for Oberyn. I believe it will be slowly built up throughout the season. They pretty much need to get across that he's a poisonous man for certain future events to work. Although I'm not so sure his studies at the Citadel or his founding of a mercenary company require any devoted exposition. The audience should be able to gleam that he is an intelligent warrior the more they get to know him. If they don't mention his countless bastard children, it could be a sign of the Sand Snakes not existing on the show.

Anyway, to answer the question, I haven't seen enough of Oberyn to make a solid conclusion. But I'm content with what we've been shown thus far.

i really like him so far. they have done a great job of setting him up (i liked his intro). the only thing i wish they would have done is mentioned his talents with poison. that would have confused the unsullied even more after the pw.

i watched it with a couple of friends and i was telling them a bunch of information about the possible poisoners, and i included oberyns talent. they are all so confused and its great.

I agree with those who've said they really like his portrayal to this point. While I was initially disappointed that the show removed the initial Oberyn-Tyrion conversation--in particular, the Martells-go-to-Casterly-Rock story--when Tyrion and co. went out to meet the Dornish contingent, I loved the sequence in the brothel with the Lannister men. The confrontation with Cersei and Tywin in E02 was even more satisfying. I died laughing at his delivery of the Myrcella line; it's just so good.

Oberyn is definitely very well casted, Pedro Pascal is doing very well and i am glad that GoT is open to actors from outside UK, i was afraid that i will never be able to submit my profil:) I hope there is some interesting characters coming up with Mediterranean heritage!

Peace

I agree with those who've said they really like his portrayal to this point. While I was initially disappointed that the show removed the initial Oberyn-Tyrion conversation--in particular, the Martells-go-to-Casterly-Rock story--when Tyrion and co. went out to meet the Dornish contingent, I loved the sequence in the brothel with the Lannister men. The confrontation with Cersei and Tywin in E02 was even more satisfying. I died laughing at his delivery of the Myrcella line; it's just so good.

This. It's a shame he's going to die so soon.

I love show Oberyn even more that I loved the book character. Pedro has just brought him to life in such a great manner.

I do agree that it is unfortunate his part is so short lived, but I don't see the plot working if he lives.

See, here is a classic example of the show not being able to deliver. Oberyn aka the red viper knows a great deal about poison.

• 3 weeks later...

I think he's been really good so far, and has a much bigger and more charismatic presence than he had in the books up to this point. The unsullied reaction has also been good.

I can imagine how much his popularity will rise in Episode 7, in anticipation for his fight with Gregor.

Archived