[Book spoilers] Oberyn Martell

Barbossa

I like the references they make about him being a poet, a poisoner, having 8 daughters etc. but I do agree that he was too aggressive in the intro. I also don't like how every time he speaks he wants to talk about Elia's murder. Book Oberyn is so much subtler and intelligent. But I understand that the show makers need to do this for the Unsullied audience because they haven't focused much on the backstory in general.

I think they've nailed him. The actor is owning the part, the dialogue has been sharp, his introduction was perfect and all his scenes since have been strong.

Audience may not fully understand who Elia was and how her children fit into everything, but the show got the key message across pretty well; which is that this guy is out for Lannister blood.

I dread the backlash when you know what happens though. I reckon it will hit people harder than the Red Wedding, considering the guy's only been around one season and had so much more awesomeness to give.

I think they've nailed him. The actor is owning the part, the dialogue has been sharp, his introduction was perfect and all his scenes since have been strong.

Audience may not fully understand who Elia was and how her children fit into everything, but the show got the key message across pretty well; which is that this guy is out for Lannister blood.

I dread the backlash when you know what happens though. I reckon it will hit people harder than the Red Wedding, considering the guy's only been around one season and had so much more awesomeness to give.

I can imagine all the people thinking that Episode 9 has come early. They'll probably be completely shocked when the last two are just as good or even surpass it :D

I have to say that Pedro Pascal is doing an excellent job of playing Oberyn. I agree that his aggression was a little over the top in the beginning, but in EP6 when Shae comes to the stand and tells of what Tyrion asked her to do (the exact quote is escaping me), and Oberyn deadpans Did you? Shae responds Did I what my lord? and he responds, Did you (to summarize and not get the quote wrong) satisfy all his desires? To me this was a perfect example of Oberyn

His behavior at the council meeting was fun as well. Like a lot of people here I've loved the portrayal of the character thus far, and am both excited and saddened for the upcoming reaction from my Unsullied friends on episode 8.

I would say I agree with the earlier post that they have focused a bit too much of his sexuality, but really those scenes have all been great so it's not much of a complaint.

I dont see how they will keep him alive, but theyve done some pretty interesting changes especially this season, so you never know. It would be quite the reverse trick on us readers, thinking we know that something unpredictible will happen, only to have it not actually happen. If that happens, it will be a very very select few that will make youtube videos of book readers taping unsullied in the fight with the Mountain, where the book reader is the one left with the "WHAT?" response. Very meta.

But if they did that, for ratings, or whatever, shock value yet again, they could spin it to be Oberyn being back in Dorne, basically playing as Doran. It would save them the task of introducing a much more subtle and formidible character (or so some of us think), and having to differentiate between more Dornish than the show can probably handle.

I loved him last night (that's what she said...!): he was perfect with his "i really don't give a fuck, I'm here for the justice" attitude. When he says "So, I am master of coin? ships? whatever?", he's like saying "let's get over with this already". He really dislikes all the mannerisms that involve ruling.

I like the references they make about him being a poet, a poisoner, having 8 daughters etc. but I do agree that he was too aggressive in the intro. I also don't like how every time he speaks he wants to talk about Elia's murder. Book Oberyn is so much subtler and intelligent. But I understand that the show makers need to do this for the Unsullied audience because they haven't focused much on the backstory in general.

He was very aggresive when he first got to KL. He told Tyrion how Cersei twisted his penis and according to Tyrion, everytime they met he asked for when Justice would be served.

The guy that plays Oberyn is good , very good! As you can see from my avatar i really like him and yes he was my favorite character , i didnt expect him to die , but yea , he took the Mountain with him and tortured him...Oh Oberyn , what a guy! He is not even a good guy like many point , he has his own ways , he is somehow twisted and craving for revenge. His line "you killed her raped her murdered her children!" is like the best on the entire series! Can't wait for episode 8! Hope they portray the battle nicely! He must die though , he can't stay alive on the show! It will ruin the plot!

The guy that plays Oberyn is good , very good! As you can see from my avatar i really like him and yes he was my favorite character , i didnt expect him to die , but yea , he took the Mountain with him and tortured him...Oh Oberyn , what a guy! He is not even a good guy like many point , he has his own ways , he is somehow twisted and craving for revenge. His line "you killed her raped her murdered her children!" is like the best on the entire series! Can't wait for episode 8! Hope they portray the battle nicely! He must die though , he can't stay alive on the show! It will ruin the plot!

Will it really though?

I'm on the boat now that he could fill Doran's place, and do it in a much more interesting way unless Doran's actor is reaaallly good. I mean we should be seeing a bunch of Dorne in Season 5 considering there ain't much going on anyways and they're already taking some of the stuff from Books 4 and 5.

Will it really though?

I'm on the boat now that he could fill Doran's place, and do it in a much more interesting way unless Doran's actor is reaaallly good. I mean we should be seeing a bunch of Dorne in Season 5 considering there ain't much going on anyways and they're already taking some of the stuff from Books 4 and 5.

Nu uh. He has to die, so that Tyrion will be condemned, and also, there's a little scene of Tyrion escaping the dungeons with Jaime in one of the trailers/ production videos, so all is as in the books. :)

Will it really though?

Doran has been mentioned many times, by Tywin, Cersei, Tyrion and even Oberyn. It's not going to happen.

I have a feeling this may cause quite some backlash. Gregor Clegane is already not exactly a major character in the books, but in the show he's been recast three times and mentioned twice this season as I recall. For such a minute character to kill someone as awesome as Oberyn can't go over well.

Personally, I'll be sad to see him go, Pedro Pascal has nailed every scene he's been in so far, eight episodes just isn't enough for such a great actor and character. Him taking Doran's role would actually be a major book departure that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, after all even Martin tried to recapture some of Oberyn's greatness with Dawnstar. I can't see it happening though, it would throw Tyrion's story completely off course. Horrific deaths of great characters is just part of what makes this show.

*SPOILERS * I was worried at first when I read that Oberyn would be in the show a lot because his character isnt in the books too much. But a lot of the book rumors about Oberyn being bi or being a poet or all that, they could actually do scenes showing those things in the show. At first i was scared they'd ruin him but man was i wrong. They did a great job and Pedro Pascal is playing a brilliant part. It's a shame it wont last. Sidenote: The fight better go down exactly like the book. Fingers through the eyes, fist to the teeth....head crush

What angers me about Oberyn's death is not that he dies, or that it's by the hand of Gregor Clegane. What angers me is that he loses for extremely stupid reasons, taking his time and being arrogant.

Im gonna hate that episode.

Archived