How do Maesters get appointed?

Stormland's Fury

It was established that a Maester is appointed to a certain castle or stronghold and serves there for life, no matter if it changes hands, they always stay loyal to the actual location.

Do they swear oaths?

Was wondering because Cressen was the Maester of Storm's End but followed Stannis to Dragonstone.

How do Maesters get selected?

Did Renly (or Penrose) need to pull out the Maester Catalogue 283 and order a new Maester?

Or let's say Harrenhal needs a new Maester. Is there a room in the Citadel where all the Measters are gathered, they draw straws and everyone crosses fingers, hoping that they are not appointed to a cursed castle for life?

They are assigned to houses whenever necessary. It doesn't say specifically how they choose who to assign where. They do a lotto style picking to choose a new Seneschal, maester who governs the citadel, each year. The grand maester for Kings Landing is chosen by the Conclave, a group of all the archmaesters (perceived masters in each area of study).

Based off that information I'd assume the Seneschal assigns a maester to a house based on availability and competence, as I figure a more experienced maester would be sent to Winterfell then one who is sent to a lesser house like Karhold.

Some of it might have to do with the specialties of the maesters and what links they've forged. A maester sworn to one of the greater houses, for instance, might be expected to have forged more links.

This question makes me wonder how Luwin ended up with the Starks. I don't think it's a coincidence that a maester with a Valyrian link, something only 1 in 100 maesters have, gets sent to serve the Starks. I'm curious as to whether other Stark maesters have had the Valyrian link. If the maesters are anti-magic and the Valyrian link is a sort of "know thine enemy" type of thing, maybe they're sending maesters to Winterfell to keep tabs on the family, i.e. on possible warging. Just an idea.

Some of it might have to do with the specialties of the maesters and what links they've forged. A maester sworn to one of the greater houses, for instance, might be expected to have forged more links.

This question makes me wonder how Luwin ended up with the Starks. I don't think it's a coincidence that a maester with a Valyrian link, something only 1 in 100 maesters have, gets sent to serve the Starks. I'm curious as to whether other Stark maesters have had the Valyrian link. If the maesters are anti-magic and the Valyrian link is a sort of "know thine enemy" type of thing, maybe they're sending maesters to Winterfell to keep tabs on the family, i.e. on possible warging. Just an idea.

Interesting idea that leans towards the idea that the maesters may be more politically active then most realize. I like it.

Just as an alternative, maybe when the houses send for a new maester they include a list of specific specialities that they'd prefer. Like the Lannisters may want one who's good with money or has a knowledge of the earth and mining, the Tyrells may want one who studied weather and agriculture, etc.

The Citadel is still a very mysterious organization. We really have no idea how it operates.

With Cressen following Stannis, my guess is Cressen held certain sway at the Citadel. That one really old Archmaester seemed to know him, so perhaps if one convinces the Archmaesters they are allowed to move castles?

My guess is that the ruling body of the Citadel simply appoints Maesters to castles in need. I doubt the Maesters themselves have a choice in it, since they are servants to begin with.

The Maesters seem to do as they are told in general, so I don't think they have much say in it either.

And yes having the more competent ones with certain abilities assigned to the greater houses makes sense.

But then we have little gems like the Maester Theomore who seems to be politically biased because of his heritage. Who was showing the middlefinger to whom in that arrangement? How did that happen?

Are the Maesters assigned to the House or the domain? I am not exactly sure, does anyone know for sure?

The domain, because Luwin serves Theon after he takes Winterfell, even though he was fond of the Starks.

He might even mention it himself, but I don't have the quote.

Are the Maesters assigned to the House or the domain? I am not exactly sure, does anyone know for sure?

Place. I believe Maester Luwin says something like I'm sworn to the ruler of Winterfell as his reasoning for working for Theon after Theon takes it.

The domain, because Luwin serves Theon after he takes Winterfell, even though he was fond of the Starks.

He might even mention it himself, but I don't have the quote.

Right, I had something like this in mind. Thanks! I have to continue my re-read of ACoK it seems...

I think they also tend to send the higher skilled maesters to more highly regarded houses. Luwin had a ton of links, Ballabar of the Redwyne's a renowned healer, Caleotte for the Martell's invented his wheelchair and is described as "as clever as they come." Some probably get the scrapings if you're without a ton of prestige, like Lady Dustin said "Every highborn aspires to have their own maester."

I think they also tend to send the higher skilled maesters to more highly regarded houses. Luwin had a ton of links, Ballabar of the Redwyne's a renowned healer, Caleotte for the Martell's invented his wheelchair and is described as "as clever as they come." Some probably get the scrapings if you're without a ton of prestige, like Lady Dustin said "Every highborn aspires to have their own maester."

I can imagine that the Clegane's for example get a rather crappy one.

I don't even know what a Maester thinks when he's getting appointed to the Dreadfort. What skills do you need?

I can imagine that the Clegane's for example get a rather crappy one.

I don't even know what a Maester thinks when he's getting appointed to the Dreadfort. What skills do you need?

Qyburn would be a solid fit I'd imagine.

He knows a lot about life and death.

And then there's the whole supposed Maester's conspiracy to rid the world of magic and to take more political control.

Maybe Major Houses and King's Landing are sent maesters who can influence policy and change for some secret goals of theirs.

Maybe Pycelle wasn't just a corrupt henchman for the Lannisters, maybe he had some mission of his own and that's why Varys killed him.

Any thoughts people?

I always wondered why the Citadel has not replaced Pycelle at some point in time.

If he was just the Lannister dog he claimed to be, then why did they not send someone else?

Change the rules a little bit, bring in a new player...

Because maesters suck and their citadel should be brought down to ruins, please Euron do this thing for me.

Archived