Why you shouldn't be celebrating [No Book Spoilers]

I don't think that is the Tyrells motivation because it's not really true. 1) Margery is only Queen if Joffery is King OR if they can get her engaged to Tommen. While it is very likely that Margery would be engaged to Tommen following Joffery's death it is far from guaranteed, especially as Tywin no longer really needs their help and Cersei hates them. 2) Tywin is the real power behind Joffery's throne, this only becomes more true with Tommen king since Tommen is even younger.

They really seem to be more concerned with the danger Joffery poses to Margery than anything else (especially given the conversation they had with Sansa in the show).

But does it actually apply here?

They're not in his home, they're not staying in his home, he hasn't given them bread and salt and wouldn't be expected to give them guest gifts when they leave. I don't think just having people to an event automatically qualifies them as your guest, I don't even think having people in your home automatically qualifies them as your guest (else Joffery broke it rather badly when he had that singers tongue removed). I honestly don't think Joffery's murder can be considered a violation of guest right, which is probably why no one (in universe) does.

I don't think Joffrey was breaking guest right, since he was there to sentence, since the singer was not there as a guest, but as someone who had been caught committing a crime.

I don't think that Guest Right really applies to the Tyrells either, since they had been there for a while and seem to have no plans on leaving. they are pretty much residents of KL now. And no one says it's a violation of Guest Right in universe because neither Tyrion or Sansa were guest. it's different than when it for sure was violated in the case of Crasters Keep and The Red Wedding, since they were only going to be there for a bit.

I do wonder why no one accuses Tyrion or Jaime of guest right violation when Bran gets pushed out the window and later almost killed by an assassin.

Can you link me to the Wiki article? I'd like to read that chapter and see what it says. I'm curious about this.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Guest_right#Practice

• 1 year later...

Archived