Dany's death!

Victarion Steel

I have a feeling that GRRM is gonna shock us once again in aDwD by killing off Dany

It might sound crazy but something gives that feeling; am I the only one?

Another reason I got that feeling was the report from Jon Targaryen at comic last weekend. The spoiler part of his post got me thinking? http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showt...=9466&st=40

He went a whole book without really killing any substantial characters no one saw the red wedding coming so maybe something shocking like that will happen again but maybe I'm wrong.

We shall see.

Killing Dany off now would make all of her chapters since AGOT useless, though. Even if Martin can be unpredictable, I don't think he's one to terminate a storyline like that. Now, after some other PoV get near her and the dragons and give some higher purpose to her previous chapters, sure why not.

I have a feeling that GRRM is gonna shock us once again in aDwD by killing off Dany

He went a whole book without really killing any substantial characters no one saw the red wedding coming so maybe something shocking like that will happen again but maybe I'm wrong.

We shall see.

Don't see it happening. He's devoted too much time through his books to kill her off like that.

The Red Wedding had signs that something was going to happen but I cannot honestly say that I saw it coming. I know that hindsight is 20/20, but the signs were there, I just didn't notice them.

Back to Dany, I think that she is going to wed someone and be queen to someone else who's the king (obviously). That's my 2 cents.

Er... So I guess that whole thing about waking the dragons and apparently being one of the only ones in the whole world that can stop the Others effectively was just a diversion?

GRRM doesn't kill off characters to surprise us. He kills of characters when they no longer drive the plot forward or give any useful information. It's actually rather annoying, because you can see when a character's death is coming up easily: oh, they're not really doing anything useful, they aren't driving the plot for--hey, they died!

Seriously though, if Martin killed them randomly, you might have a point. But he kills them when he has no further use for them, and Dany still has a lot to give the story.

He doesn't just kill characters because they aren't going anywhere thats just his awesome writing style.

And besides only he knows the final outcome not us so we can't really say those characters weren't going anywhere.

can you?

we know after they were killed that they weren't going anyway because their dead obviously, so its easy for you to say that now.

Not a feeling, no. Wishful thinking perhaps. But I don't hold my breath. I think she lives on to transport the dragons, win the Westerous and all that jazz.

:rofl:

I wish. It would be somewhat amusing if all of these characters that are going to meet up with her end up conspiring to kill her and take the dragons for themselves.

Seriously though, I think we may very well see Dany die, but it will be as a noble sacrifice to save the world. She gives up the one thing she has been striving for, the Seven Kingdoms, which have basically been handed to her at this point, to fulfill her role as AA and PwwP (OR as Nissa Nissa to Jon, though at this point that seems almost nearly impossible).

But there is too much riding on her right now to kill her off as a surprise. Not to mention that Martin has devoted like a thousand pages to her in his story thus far.

It`s possible that Dany will die.GRRM ``killed``Ned,so why wouldn`t he kill Dany?

Ding-dong,the witch is dead!

Martin has spent books on Dany...Ned only lasted one. Plus, she has a major storyline still left to tell.

well I never thought the red wedding would happen did u?

I definitely knew that Robb shouldn't have gone into the Twins when all the Freys who were loyal to him were gone and they didn't allow his wolf into the hall. But upon hindsight, it was alluded to really, really, early.

GRRM doesn't kill off characters to surprise us. He kills of characters when they no longer drive the plot forward or give any useful information. It's actually rather annoying, because you can see when a character's death is coming up easily: oh, they're not really doing anything useful, they aren't driving the plot for--hey, they died!

:bs:

I feel I don't even need to justify...

I can't say I saw the Red Wedding coming, but I was getting seriously creeped out right after "Duskendale??" - more like a slowly growing dread.

I don't think Dany's going to get whacked just yet. I really, really, really hope she's not Jon's Nissa Nissa, though. I curled my lip into a sneer when I read that about AA :angry:

He doesn't just kill characters because they aren't going anywhere thats just his awesome writing style.

And besides only he knows the final outcome not us so we can't really say those characters weren't going anywhere.

can you?

we know after they were killed that they weren't going anyway because their dead obviously, so its easy for you to say that now.

I wish I could sympathize with you, but I really can't. Ned died when he had served his function. Catelyn died when she served her function. All the prologue characters died after they served their functions. It's one of the few flaws in his writing that he doesn't just leave characters to wander off into obscurity--they die.

Of course, I know I'm going to take criticism for questioning even one aspect of his writing.

But that's what I believe... Oh well...

I wish I could sympathize with you, but I really can't. Ned died when he had served his function. Catelyn died when she served her function. All the prologue characters died after they served their functions. It's one of the few flaws in his writing that he doesn't just leave characters to wander off into obscurity--they die.

Of course, I know I'm going to take criticism for questioning even one aspect of his writing.

Hey, if Catelyn's served her function, why the heck is she still walking around? I still think it's to exact revenge on LF.

Ok, I can see how this makes sense to you but think it through.

Ned, Cat, Rob as well as many of the dead characters could have re-inserted themselves in an interesting plotline. If Ned had ditched everything and taken his family to Winterfell, events could have played out very differently for him.

I guess what I'm trying to get to is that in a story so unpredicable it is hard to tell when once reaches the end of his part in the play.

Archived