Scott Lynch II: Read The Lies of Locke Lamora and Win at Life!

Werthead

Scared away? Wert, I'm an author. I deal with editors.

Nothing scares me anymore.

Except editors, of course.

Race, I'm glad you liked it so much. Would've really sucked to take the time to go to the signing and later find out the book was crap, eh? ;)

As far as horse pee...

SPOILER: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Decius has it. I figured it would be available in "industrial" quantities, piping fresh and warm (yum!). God, the research I had to do into that stuff... I actually made an in-depth inquiry in its pH and so forth just to try and decide what the lingering effects of immersion might be... red eyes, or worse? Cripes. There you have it, the romantic life of the fantasy writer... researching the acidity of horse whiz for days at a time.

Cheers,

SL

You know, the horse piss scene was very effective - made me want to puke! :)

I'm only half in the book, so I have not come to the scene yet, but concerning cruel methods of killing,

SPOILER: killing
the bag with glass was already disgusting enough. Killing methods like this one really creep me out, because imagination contributes even more horror.

Race, I'm glad you liked it so much. Would've really sucked to take the time to go to the signing and later find out the book was crap, eh? ;)

Hey I'm a collector... it wouldnt be the first crappy book I'd gotten signed. I have Kevin J Anderson for god's sake. I went to a Laurel K Hamilton signing!

I've got a problem.

I mean I have a signed copy coming from Clarkseworld, but I bought another copy so I could get it inscribed.... now that you mention it. I might be kinda mad if bought two copies of a crappy book. :P

Scared away? Wert, I'm an author. I deal with editors.

As opposed to other authors we might name about here, but this thread isn't about that now is it?

As far as horse pee...

Even if the research hadn't panned out, Scott, at least you coulda created an out by saying there was something "different" about Gentled horse piss... :P

So, I finished it in a rush, because I couldn't stop at a certain turning point.

It's ...

... a pretty good book. :) It's not the peak of literature, and the story is more or less predictable (after the turning point), but the characters, especially Locke and Jean, and even their anatgonist, are interesting variations of well-kown (arche-)types and the dialogues are vibrant.

SPOILER: I liked ...

the way Ibelius spoke, because it gave his character a special quirk. And the last dialogue read a classic.

I needed a little bit time to get used to the not entirely linear narrative structure, and sometimes, the switch from third-person limited POV to all-knowing POV or from one character to another was not always clear. That's something I'm a bit anal about.

The descriptions of the citylife were quite vivid and sometimes I grew hungry, because of the delicious meals. :)

Edit: One more thing:

SPOILER: I know ...

that the Bondmage used his bird as a weapon to hurt Locke and to kill Nazca, but even so the death of the animal was something I couldn't swallow so easily.

I see that Summon Author still works, then ;)

Is that a Conjuration or an Illusion spell?

BTW, I suck at both, so the question's academic as far as my continued progress in Oblivion is concerned.

Scott, cheers for the answer. I know it was a weird question but hey, X-Ray and I are journalists, we think that way :P

I went to a Laurel K Hamilton signing!

I've got a problem.

Jeez, Race. And here I thought, here's someone at a fantasy reading that looks perfectly normal. And now I know the deep dark secret you've been hiding...Laurel K Hamilton!

I'm so pissed, last night, went out with the wife, bro and sis in law and a cousin to do some shopping. After dinner they left me at Barnes and Noble while they went to Target, and I had every intention of buying the book, but my B&N didn't have a copy.... so I guess that's good news for Mr. Lynch. Oh well....later this week.

Jeez, Race. And here I thought, here's someone at a fantasy reading that looks perfectly normal. And now I know the deep dark secret you've been hiding...Laurel K Hamilton!

See the sad thing is, I've never read her, Have no real desire to read her, but because she was going to be there signing. I bought a used book and tried to get it signed. The wait was over 2 hours though, so I didn't manage to stick around.

I will be bringing a whole suitcase of books to Worldcon to get signed. I need help. :P

*random cheer for LoLL*

If the author is still reading this: loved it. This book put me in a good mood all week-end, even when I didn't have time to read it, and the buzz hasn't worn off yet since I finished last night at 3 AM. Fun without pulling any punches, dark and serious at the same time, some very memorable lines and sequences, this book is a rare find. I've read deeper works, but this one still has me grinning rather inanely whenever I think about it.

Soo... that's the second newish author named Scott who's damn good. After the Terrible Terries, does that mean we'll get the Superlative Scotts?

See the sad thing is, I've never read her, Have no real desire to read her, but because she was going to be there signing. I bought a used book and tried to get it signed. The wait was over 2 hours though, so I didn't manage to stick around.

No, the really sad thing is I have read her stuff. But I have ranted about that experience in other threads so I won't pollute Scott's thread with it.

I still haven't had a chance to get past the 100 page mark in Lies, we'll see what this week holds for me. I need a couple of blocks of time to just sit down and READ. I am loving the intricate world construction here. There are layers upon layers here and I eat that kind of shit up.

So i finished the book. I was very impressed with it overall, even if the ending was a tad too...neat.

SPOILER: lies
At one point i was afraid that The Grey King (esp when the Falconer told Locke he had 2 painful things to share with him) was Locke's father, but such a thing did not come to pass, and that is a very very very good thing. The Sanza twins and Bug were great characters and it was sad to see them go in such a brutal fashion, but it definetly set the tone for the final act of the book.

The mix of light hearted humor and brutality really worked well. I'll certainly be buying any future work by Lynch. Heh, and pimping this one out to all my friends.

And, just to add, its fucking awesome that you have a Locke avatar Mr. Lynch. One of Final Fantasy 6's great characters. Very appropriate as well.

The Sanza twins and Bug were great characters...

I think the twins could have been better as characters. They had basically the same personality, like Rowling's Fred and George Weasley. Identical twins in real life have distinct personalities. In fact it's creepy that in Harry Potter, if you substitute Fred for George in half of the occurrences and vice-versa, the plot will remain perfectly consistent. They are always doing things together and they always agree with each other. In LLL, the Sanza twins were given fewer lines than Fred and George Weasley in Harry Potter, so maybe they were different, but you can't tell.

I think the twins could have been better as characters. They had basically the same personality, like Rowling's Fred and George Weasley. Identical twins in real life have distinct personalities. In fact it's creepy that in Harry Potter, if you substitute Fred for George in half of the occurrences and vice-versa, the plot will remain perfectly consistent. They are always doing things together and they always agree with each other. In LLL, the Sanza twins were given fewer lines than Fred and George Weasley in Harry Potter, so maybe they were different, but you can't tell.

Well, they both amused me. :P:P

Sure, they werent all that well developed, but from the moment Chains talks about them in the first or second chapter they have...personality. I really enjoyed them.

Archived