Do you think Sansa's proposed marriage to Harrold Hardyng will happen?

Magnar of Fens

No. There is a long tradition of plans laid out like that not to come to fruition.

Plus, Harry doesn't seem to be everything Sansa wanted. As someone noted, he is Robert to her Lyanna.

LF reveals that his plan is to marry Sansa to Harrold Hardyng, a gallant young lord who seems to be everything Sansa ever wanted in a husband, for this reason and many others i do not believe the marriage will happen. Anyone else agree/disagree?

I'm pretty sure Sansa never dreamt of a husband who'd already fathered two bastards.

I think the main rationale against the plan is that in ASOIAF, it seems like plans laid out in detail in advance almost never come to fruition. However, Tywin's plan for the Tyrion/Sansa marriage was laid out in advance, and while Tywin's goals for that union were not realized, the marriage itself did happen. So I'm not convinced.

Nor am I convinced that the idea that Sansa might not be thrilled with marrying Harry--due to her distaste for political marriages--means that she'll never marry him. What ASOIAF characters want has very little bearing on what happens to them.

On the other hand, Littlefinger did say that the marriage "must needs wait" until a number of things happen. Some of these don't seem like any great obstacle, but Littlefinger has indicated that he means to wait until Sansa's "safely widowed." Unless he intends to fake Tyrion's death (something the would-be bounty claimers are realizing is a pretty tricky proposition), or unless he changes his mind and tries to get an annulment, he'll be waiting quite a while, possibly long enough for events to intervene and rule out the Harry marriage altogether.

I've also seen it speculated that Littlefinger will get wind of Aegon and try to marry Sansa to him instead. I'm not particularly convinced by this either, and it's not anything I would want for Sansa (as I think anyone who weds Aegon will be as doomed as he is), but it's another possibility.

Not only was the plan completely explained (a sure sign of failure), but there was an asterisk- that Alayne must charm him into it. This would be easy enough for her to do, but I don't think she'll want to go through with it. She's wary of any marriage arrangements and he seems like a dud. I can see her easily sabotaging the deal by acting really pious, prude and stuffy, so that he won't want to marry her.

No, plans that are laid out in details never come into fruition in this book series.

Tywin's plan for Tyrion and Sansa was laid out in detail, and they got married.

It occurs to me that Sansa might be a hard sell for Aegon unless LF can wrangle an annulment, since both Aegon and JonCon know for a fact that Tyrion was alive the last time they saw him.

In order for her to even bother with Harry:

1. Sweetrobin must die

2. Sansa must charm Harry into it acting as Alayne - I mean, might not be that easy. Why would the supposed heir to the Vale marry a bastard? and not even a high lord's bastard

3. Sansa and Tyrion's marriage must get annuled

I mean, sure, those are conditions that can be met pretty easily, but there's kinda too many of them. By the time all of the above happens, the word of Aegon will easily reach Littlefinger and plant some new ideas in his head...

His full plan was for Sansa and Tyrion to get married, have kids, and taken the North back from the Boltons in the spring. That's not what happened.

Sure, but the marriage part took place. The question was whether the Harry/Sansa marriage would happen, not whether LF's larger scheme to use the marriage to reclaim the North would succeed.

Part of me feels like the whole plan was LF's red herring to Sansa, that he had another plan and/or he just wanted a thought to keep her occupied.

I agree, he is using this on many levels, and it is not the real plan.

What he ACTUALLY wants is for the knights of the Vale to rally behind Sansa as she makes a bid to reclaim the North from the Boltons. They will rally behind the future lady of the Vale, since they already wanted to join Robb's cause before, and this will clinch it. Distracting Sansa from what he is really up to is also part of it.

I too don't believe that it's not going to happen for the long run because of it being explained so beautifully. Also it's Littlefinger remember? He has a young Cat with him who he has spent many resources to have isolated with him. He wants to enjoy what he has gotten.

I just don't see LF openly declaring war against anyone. His whole MO is all about hiding behind smiles and his humble birth. He got as far as he did because no one knew he was a threat. Having Sansa reclaim the North proves how dangerous he can be and something tells me LF wouldn't do well in the spotlight. He's savvy enough to know his strengths and weakness, unless he's gotten so drunk of power that he trips up; which is possible, but for now, I remain skeptical.

I don’t think a Sansa-Harry marriage will happen. I think the farthest the relationship it will get is a public betrothal announcement (given how fast things are happening than Littlefinger intends I think he’ll move forward with his plans even though everything hasn't fallen into place yet). And I think Harry will desire Sansa enough that he’ll resent not having her when the betrothal falls apart.

I do think Sansa marrying Aegon –or some sort interaction/relationship between the two– is probable. Just the irony of Cersei having dreamt of marrying the Targaryen prince and getting stuck with the Baratheon king while Sansa dreamt of marrying the “Baratheon” prince and getting stuck with the “Targaryen” king would make a Sansa-Aegon relationship worthwhile.

I think at most, she might marry and then be rapidly widowed. Main reason is: Why would Baelish in any way be content to actually hand Catelyn 2.0 over to some other man ? It is a set up. The Harry gambit is about setting up the Vale and Sansa to do what he wants them to do and be what he wants them to be. If it succeeds, Harry will never really be her mate; it it fails, Harry will never really be her mate.

I think at most, she might marry and then be rapidly widowed.

Sounds about right. If the question were "Will Sansa end the series married to Harry?" I don't think anyone would say "Yes." The question isn't whether the marriage will last, though--most marriages that have happened in-series have been of short duration--it's whether it will happen at all, and I can't rule it out at this stage. Is it unlikely? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Sounds about right. If the question were "Will Sansa end the series married to Harry?" I don't think anyone would say "Yes." The question isn't whether the marriage will last, though--most marriages that have happened in-series have been of short duration--it's whether it will happen at all, and I can't rule it out at this stage. Is it unlikely? Yes. Is it impossible? No.

Then count me as the sole contrarian. I would not be surprised at all if she ends the series married to Harry. I genuinely think that is a very plausible outcome to things, far more than, say, her marrying anyone else or staying married with her first husband.

Archived