explaining the Daenerys odium

Starspear

I used to like Daenerys, long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Then something changed. And after reading the several threads on the forum, including one of my own, I figured out why.

It's not the self-entitlement or the fact that she finishes every sentence with "Queen-Khaleesi-Mother of Dragons." (tho this does not help)

The reason I believe she receives the odium (visible on these forums) is her "favored" status by GRRM.

Unlike every other character in the book, (and excluding TGOT... where I liked her character), Daenerys faces no consequence for her actions or words. And since then, her character has gone downhill. Being boring being her greatest sin (maybe she belongs in the Twilight series), but I digress.

Let's look at characters who had to pay for their foolishness, self-entitlement, treachery, or sins (in no particular order):

- Cersei

- Robb

- Catelyn

- Ned

- Robert Baratheon

- Theon

- Jon

- Tyrion

- Tywin

- Oberyn

- Jaime

- Quentyn

- Sansa

- Joffrey

- Griff

And I can go on. Somewhere, the torments these characters suffer (unprotected by their Creator) are accepted because, we "accepted" GRRM's realpolitik rules...

But when it comes to Daenerys, suddenly Fantasy rules apply to her.

Why does she still retain Selmy and Naharis? Why Mormont? Obviously, we are suppose to be feeling something other to accept this type of loyalty... I mean, anyone who has been loyal to her, suffers. Any town she has saved, suffers.

And yet it seems like she'll be off to Westeros to sit on the Iron Throne...

Again, a digression. The question is, why does author protect her from his own rules? Thoughts?

I kind of like her but I don't think she'll win in the end. Compare her to Robb who also seemed blessed with plot protection for a while while he made a series of blunders, well we all know how that ended. I think Dany's day of reckoning is coming. She may get some sort of semi-victory in a bittersweet ending but I don't think she'll just waltz on to the Iron Throne. That ending is far too trite and predictable for this series. When her mistakes do start to catch up with her it will be all the more shocking because it has taken so long.

GRRM is God of this world. She's is Gods chosen one. She's going to be there till the end folks so you had better get used to it.

Her chapters can be skipped. Plenty of book left.

No consequences for her actions? So, the Yunkai, the Sons of the Harpy, the Ghiscari, the Tolosi, the Elyrians, Qartheen etc. are all coming to pay her respect?

WAR is the consequences of Dany's actions in Slavers Bay.

This is about right, and if you don't like it, write your own book then.

the questioning of ths thread is legitimate. No one will reward you for defending GRRM against legitimate observations.

No consequences for her actions? So, the Yunkai, the Sons of the Harpy, the Ghiscari, the Tolosi, the Elyrians, Qartheen etc. are all coming to pay her respect?

Those are not personal consequences that all the other characters in the book have to suffer.

If I had pleasure servants who took baths with me, I can almost guarantee I would never get around to conquering Westeros.

Good point, but who wants to read about that?

personal consequence. Robb paid with his life, as did Ned, Catelyn and dozens of others. Cersei and Jaime lost the things most precious to them(her child, his fighting hand). Tywin lost the thing he valued most - fear and respect from others when he was found dead on a toilet and men laughed at him during his funeral. Oberyn lost his vengeance, Jon lost his family and his love.

Danny however loses nothing after AGoT(and during AGoT she was well liked) - she makes blunders and others pay for it and she escapes free.

the questioning of ths thread is legitimate. No one will reward you for defending GRRM against legitimate observations.

It's not a legitimate observation. It's an opinion along the lines of 'I don't like this character so am going to criticise the author.' The advice was correct. If you don't like what GRRM has written then go and write your own book.

Those are not personal consequences that all the other characters in the book have to suffer.

The loss of her child and husband wasn't personal either? The betrayal of Jorah Mormont and Brown Ben Plumm. The attempt to poison her in Daznak's Pit, the Undying of Qarth attempting to kill her, the loss of those around her when she tries to save them (e.g. Eroeh) etc. etc...

And the consequences in Slaver's Bay do effect her on a personal level too. Unlike Cersei etc. her people are her Children. To see them suffer is painful for her. To be betrayed by those close to her is painful for her. And attempted poisoning isnt a walk in the park either.

T

Archived