explaining the Daenerys odium

Starspear

Come on guys.

Why do so many, so often point their finger at the poster instead of the topic at hand? Focus on the character/story with your critique or defense eh?

So many statements about how fans of this or that character/storyarch are in one way or another subpar in their opinions because it's not shared by the poster. Surely we can do better than that. :)

But to answer the original question of plot armor, I don't buy it. There's still time in the books for suffering, just because she hasn't hit her RW yet doesn't mean it won't happen. As for gifts, what grand success has she had? Get army? Free Slaves? Slavers cause a ruckus, try and stop ruckus, have to stay in slavers bay, army doesn't work on shadow organizations, dragons are being rebellious. She's in a good position that wavers with every moment she spends in the bay.

But to answer the original question of plot armor, I don't buy it. There's still time in the books for suffering, just because she hasn't hit her RW yet doesn't mean it won't happen. As for gifts, what grand success has she had? Get army? Free Slaves? Slavers cause a ruckus, try and stop ruckus, have to stay in slavers bay, army doesn't work on shadow organizations, dragons are being rebellious. She's in a good position that wavers with every moment she spends in the bay.

Again - it's not about plot armor or suffering. It's about wanting to wear the crown... and in Westeros, it's a dangerous game, whereas in Essos, playing TGOT has little personal consequence... this is inconsistent. But I accept the arguments that this is simply to isolate her; the real action is in Westeros.

The consequences of bad ruling should realistically impact the people that the monarch rules, and not the monarch. When Robb declared war, it was his people who would suffer, his own repercussions came when he made a more personal mistake. Cersei's rule is devastating on the people she rules (particularly the Reach) yet her consequences are not for ruling, but for what she did wrt Margaery and Robert and her lovers. So the consequences of Dany's actions actually reflect her mistakes, as do the other characters in the series. Are some consequences more sever than others? Yes, but then thats life. Its like punishment within the legal system - two people can be tried for exactly the same crime and recieve different punishments. Its actually very unrealistic to imagine every character is going to have the same consequences, and would also make for very poor story telling.

Much of Dany's arc is a repeat of the whole Eroeh problem, on a much larger scale. She tries her best to help those less fortunate than her, but (as of yet) she has not succeeded at that.

I wouldn't say that. The ex slaves that make up her freed men companies are surely better off now.

I didn't really word that how I wanted it to sound. I'm trying to think how to change how it sounds :dunno:

The consequences of bad ruling should realistically impact the people that the monarch rules, and not the monarch. When Robb declared war, it was his people who would suffer, his own repercussions came when he made a more personal mistake. Cersei's rule is devastating on the people she rules (particularly the Reach) yet her consequences are not for ruling, but for what she did wrt Margaery and Robert and her lovers. So the consequences of Dany's actions actually reflect her mistakes, as do the other characters in the series. Are some consequences more sever than others? Yes, but then thats life. Its like punishment within the legal system - two people can be tried for exactly the same crime and recieve different punishments. Its actually very unrealistic to imagine every character is going to have the same consequences, and would also make for very poor story telling.

Much of Dany's arc is a repeat of the whole Eroeh problem, on a much larger scale. She tries her best to help those less fortunate than her, but (as of yet) she has not succeeded at that.

This is a good argument. Convincing.

Archived