explaining the Daenerys odium

Starspear

Being betrayed by your closest allied and friend, is nothing. Assassination attempts, nothing. Having to marry and sleep with a man you hate to keep your people safe, nothing.

She didn't have to marry anyone. She chooses to be Queen.

Are we suppose to feel for failed assassination attempts?

You know who I feel for? Robb, Ned, even Tywin (well, maybe not... but he was a great character to lose)

Sorry for constantly editing ;).

Here are a few characters who have suffered more:

Catelyn

Robb

Arya

Sansa

Rickon

Bran

Jon

Ned

Theon

Edmure

Tyrion

Doran

Stannis

Jaime

Aemon

How have they suffered more?

Cat lost her children, husband & her life which I suppose you could losing your life is more suffering but I know plenty of people who would agree they would rather lose their own life than watch those they love die.

Some on your list have only lost their lives. Hardly more suffering. Jaime only lost his hand (he did lose a child but not really. He didn't love Joffrey as an uncle let alone a father.

Stannis? Edmure? Not hardly.

The one exception is Theon he has suffered tremendously.

Most have loved the rapist dearly the way she started fucking Daario. The fact that you want do slip in two guys who were the love of her life shows that you're just reaching.

Oh and she never gave up Daario, seeing as she only wants sex.

She is despised for letting her people suffer, not ending slavery, torturing, cruzifying, killing.

She lost a family she never knew. Not saying that isn't tough, but for Jon the deaths of Ned and Robb were pure mental torture.

Her upbringing was relatively pampered except for Viserys and Jon suffered in that departement as well (Cat).

But you are missing some things....

She lost Drogo because she wanted him to go pillaging and raping (because that's what Dothraki do when they plan an invasion which is what she asked of him).

She lost her unborn child because she sacrificed him in a blood magic ritual - not entirely willingly, but she so wanted it to go her way that she didn't bother to ask.

As I said, she brought all the spite upon herself by her actions. At least big parts of it.

Jon lost Ned when he was bound by oath not do anything but protecting the realm.

Jon lost Robb when he was bound by oath not do anything but protecting the realm.

Jon fell in love with Ygritte on a mission he was sent on for the protection of the realm. He fell in love - his mistake. Ygritte died because he protected the realm.

See the difference?

So because after more than a year Dany sleeps witb Daario she didnt love Drogo? Despite her many thoughts of her sun and stars, and wearing his lionskin for comfort? I wasnt reaching at all by bringing them up. You mentioned Jon's sufferings, I said Dany paralleled them, and brought up those points.

Ibwill agree to disagree about Daario. I am one of just a few who thinks she had meaningful feelings for.hin (not marriage material feelings but significant enough) and she still gives him up.

I am not talking about outside of this.novels. She is hated by readers for those actions. In the novels, she is hated by many in Essos, Qarth, SB etc for trying to abolish slavery.

Losing her family is comparable to Jon, not identical.

Her upbringing was not pampered at all. She spent a bried time in safety in Braavos with Ser Darry. Then he died. From.then she was forced to traverse the free cities with her half mad brother, ridiculed by others. This in no way compares to other characters upbrinings. (except Davos) Jon had only.one problem with Cat as a child- she disliked him. She did not emotionally abuse him or.neglectbhim or.physically abuse him. The comparison between her treatment of Jon and Viserys' treatment of Dany is nonexistent.

As you said yourself, the los of Drogo and Rhaego was not entirely known to her. She was willing to sacrifice all to save Drogo (and did) but i do not think she knew (in the heat of the moment) that the price was her unborn child.

Also, wasnt the whole point of this thread that Danys actions held.no.consequence? You just contradicted that by saying "She brought all the spite on herself by her actions"

Betrayed in book one, found out later. That's been no real palpable assassination attempts. I mean the most real attempt on her life was eaten by someone else, and she immediately leaves on her Dragon. Real suspense there.

Marrying someone you don't want to? Oh you mean like every single other character basically.

Did she know in book one? No, she didn't. So the betrayal for HER happened afterwards. Whether or not the association was "palpable" the psychological stress of knowing people want to kill you is quite great. The Undying also tried to kill her if you don't remember. As to the marriage you just proved my point, GRRM treats her like other characters and makes her have to make sacrifices in order to try and make things right.

Wow, I love such threads. She didn't suffer at all, she only lost most of her family before she was even born, had to become a poor exile on the run, then was sold to a bunch of barbarians at 13, then her beloved husband, her baby, her brother (yes, he was a jerk, but he was her only family) all died in close succession, she barely survived a trip through a desert, then had to marry a middle-old jerk for political reasons...yes, she hasn't suffered at all.

And of course this theory is laughable because nobody has more of a plot armor than Jon Snow, Arya and Tyrion yet they are super popular in the fandom. Jon should have done at least five times already thanks to his stupid decisions but got bailed out. Same for Tyrion.

Frankly, not taking AGOT (or the backstory) in to consideration is just dishonest.

From backstory and aGoT:

1) her mother dies

2) her guardian dies

3) she's raised by her unstable brother, who abuses her and doesn't give her young mind much feeding

4) she's sold as cattle to some barbaric horselord she never met

5) Victim of Stockholm Syndrome

6) Her brother goes bananas and needs to be put down

7) someone tries to kill her
8) her son and husband die because of a woman she herself had shown kindness to

9) her position of power is gone, the Khalesar has left her

from the rest of the books:

1) She loses a trusted servant

2) she suffers through the Red Waste

3) the Qartheen betray her
4) they steal her dragons and she gets them back

5) She frees slaves right and left, only to realize that it's not enough to set a man free in order to get rid of the evil of slavery

6) She has to dismiss her most loyal protector because he turned out to be a spy

7) she survives an assassination attempt

8) She sees her people suffer and submits to a loveless marriage, basically prostituting herself for her people

9) her dragons kill a kid and she locks them away, eventhough they are her people

10) she bows down even further and sues for peace with the Yunkai'i

11) her lover get's send to be a hostage among hostiles

12) Someone tries to kill her again

She has payed for her stupid decissions in various way, eventhough she is one of the more kindhearted leaders in the entire series.

That's you. But let's assume NO ONE thought they'd die at all....They're still gong through things. Dany isn't. Arya has been captured twice, lost her family while being so close. Tyrion has been disfigured, blamed for a crime he didn't commit, shunned by his father, left to a distant land, then was captured and sold into slavery, Jon has had to kill a member of the NW to infiltrate a group, he fell in love with a girl, then had to fight her and watch her die. He's hated by some for making tough decisions, and even if he is alive, he was still betrayed and stabbed by his own brothers.

Dany? Her only hardship is hearing about how a city she freed went into chaos. Yes, her ego being hurt because she didn't do something prefect is the height of her hardship. She's made plenty of mistakes and her only consequence is a bruised ego.

Dany is not going through things? Seriously? Have you read the chapters in ADWD? Just becuase she is not getting captured like Arya or disfigured like Tyrion does not mean she is not going through things. She is a different character in different circumstances with different problems namely in her case trying to rule a city with an ongoing insurrection, a bad economy and enemies at her gates. If this story doesn't intertest you, fine I get that. But lets stop with this idea that she is not going through things or suffering or any of the other nonsense from this thread. You just don't like her or her story.

I do not understand you peoples. I have never thought Dany was boring and can't imagine how you all think that way.

She's not even necessarily the problem but all the people around her and the locations. Everything else is closely related with intrigue and what not, while she's still pretty detached from the rest. Now she's even back in the Dothraki Sea, alone.

It's like you are watching the Sopranos but you have to watch segments of True Blood in between.

Did she know in book one? No, she didn't. So the betrayal for HER happened afterwards. Whether or not the association was "palpable" the psychological stress of knowing people want to kill you is quite great. The Undying also tried to kill her if you don't remember. As to the marriage you just proved my point, GRRM treats her like other characters and makes her have to make sacrifices in order to try and make things right.

She CHOSE to be queen in Mereen and all that entails. She married for political purposes to further her goals. And who in this book isn't under constant threat of death? And they don't have the benefit of the Unsullied army and dragons. Moreover if the threat isn't palpable, why should we be invested or care at all?

I'm sure plenty of characters are under stress knowing they're going to war, are going to die one day from diseases, or kidney failure, or a heart attack. But it's not palpable, so we don't care.

Wow, I love such threads. She didn't suffer at all, she only lost most of her family before she was even born, had to become a poor exile on the run, then was sold to a bunch of barbarians at 13, then her beloved husband, her baby, her brother (yes, he was a jerk, but he was her only family) all died in close succession, she barely survived a trip through a desert, then had to marry a middle-old jerk for political reasons...yes, she hasn't suffered at all.

And of course this theory is laughable because nobody has more of a plot armor than Jon Snow, Arya and Tyrion yet they are super popular in the fandom.

/thread

Stannis? Edmure? Not hardly.

Stannis is just an hollow shell and physically a shadow of his former self and the risk of being flayed while her daughter risks to be killed all while trying to defend the realm from the others.

Edmure's own family and their bannermen got butchered because of his wedding and then being kept prisoner while being threatened to hang on a daily basis.

Dany while she had hardships has problems like what would Daario think of her.

Dany is not going through things? Seriously? Have you read the chapters in ADWD? Just becuase she is not getting captured like Arya or disfigured like Tyrion does not mean she is not going through things. She is a different character in different circumstances with different problems namely in her case trying to rule a city with an ongoing insurrection, a bad economy and enemies at her gates. If this story doesn't intertest you, fine I get that. But lets stop with this nonsense that she is not going through things or suffering or any of the other nonsense. You just don't like her story.

Taking over city to city without any resistance? Listening to complaints as she sits all day?

For everything she's done, for how big her story is, her bruised ego doesn't count as "going through things". She hasn't faced consequences to her actions.

She's not even necessarily the problem but all the people around her and the locations. Everything else is closely related with intrigue and what not, while she's still pretty detached from the rest. Now she's even back in the Dothraki Sea, alone.

It's like you are watching the Sopranos but you have to watch segments of True Blood in between.

See I have the opposite feeling with Jon Snow. He is bland and a complete snoozefest as a character but atleast those around him are somewhat interesting.

Archived