What if Joffrey was raised by someone else

Kaguya

I use think Joff was crazy due to incest but now I'm not convinced as it usually takes successive generations for stuff like that to start happening. He might have had a psychopathic gene which came from his mother...But this doesn't mean he was already destined to be evil, because as stated already not all psychopaths go down the bad route, Cersei ultimately bought it out of him.

Nothing Cersei or Robert did in paranting caused Joff to dissect a cat for fun. That is pure Nature. Also Cersei and Jamie are products of distant incest, as well, as their mother and father were cousins. That is narrowing the gene pool a bit too much, just as the Targaryens have.

Nothing Cersei or Robert did in paranting caused Joff to dissect a cat for fun. That is pure Nature. Also Cersei and Jamie are products of distant incest, as well, as their mother and father were cousins. That is narrowing the gene pool a bit too much, just as the Targaryens have.

Actually Joffrey didn't dissect the cat for fun, he did it to impress Robert. I am aware, but Jaime isn't a psychopath while Cersei without a doubt is, which could have been passed into Joffrey, rather than it being from incest.

• 1 month later...

Not to put too much on real world psychology, but sociopathy may well have a genetic aspect to it, and early animal cruelty is a common red flag. Maybe Cersei will reminisce about him wetting the bed and getting off on fire like she does.

I think he might have been tempered but we could say the same about his mother if she'd been raised by somebody else, although she has at least some degree of empathy, albeit very very minimal.

I think the incident with the pregnant cat was used to represent that he is indeed a psychopath. Psychopathic children are generally identified by a particular cruelty to animals, which shows their range of emotions when presented with something somewhat 'expendable' and below them. The bad parenting wouldn't have helped, but they personality traits were there.

Lets say that after the cat incident, Robert becomes frightened and sends his son off to Ned or Tywin, how much different would have the boy ended up as opposed to being raised by Cersei?

He would have been a sociopath. You don't stop being a sociopath. Who raised him didn't cause him to be one (though it couldn't have helped), and it couldn't have stopped him being one.

Who we are is built in rather early. Theon came to Ned quite young (10 or 11 I think) and even after half his life raised well by good people, was revealed in his first POV chapters to be basically a monster. Unlike Theon, Joff was an actual monster - a sociopath. So I don't think there'd have been any change.

Actually Joffrey didn't dissect the cat for fun, he did it to impress Robert. I am aware, but Jaime isn't a psychopath while Cersei without a doubt is, which could have been passed into Joffrey, rather than it being from incest.

Jaime may well be a psychopath. In fact, Jaime checks off more of the boxes for psychopathy than he doesn't.

Again, nobody is denying Joff is a psychopath. But psychopath =\= Evil, that's like saying that every pedophile is a child molester. Just imagine Joffrey being raised by an evil mother like Cersei, obviously that's not going to help his condition isn't it? There are plenty of psychopaths that function well in societies provided they have good education and understanding.

I don't think that Joffrey was mentally ill or anything. There a lot of kids like Joffrey. Some kids at his age are very cruel, they can be even crueler than Joffrey. But most of them grow up out of it and become decent men. Thought that would have been impossible with Cersei for a parent. The problem of Joffrey is that he could do anything he wanted without any punishment and sometime was even prised by his mother. So yes, had Joffrey been raised by someone better than Cersei, I believe he could have been way better.

I don't think that Joffrey was mentally ill or anything. There a lot of kids like Joffrey. Some kids at his age are very cruel, they can be even crueler than Joffrey. But most of them grow up out of it and become decent men. Thought that would have been impossible with Cersei for a parent. The problem of Joffrey is that he could do anything he wanted without any punishment and sometime was even prised by his mother. So yes, had Joffrey been raised by someone better than Cersei, I believe he could have been way better.

There are not a lot of kids like Joffrey. And those who are like him do not grow out of it to become decent.

I'm curious. Like what?

Psychopathy = "enduring anti-social behavior". Anti-social means "lacks consideration for others and may cause damage to the society, whether intentionally or through negligence." Remind you of anyone?

Psychopathy = "diminished empathy and remorse". Empathy meaning to feel what others feel, to imagine how it feels to be another person. Remorse meaning feeling sorry for having done something bad. Jaime meets these two criteria perfectly. He expresses great sadness about his bad reputation - expresses none about Bran Stark.

Psychopath = "disinhibited or bold behavior". Disinhibited means disregard for social conventions (incest much?), impulsivity (push anyone off a tower lately?), and poor risk assessment (Jaime was noted by opposing commanders as being aggressive and risk-taking in battle, and it was why he was captured). Bold means lacking fear. Jaime is - not a fearful character.

He's a psycho, imo. All Tywin's kids are crazy - Tyrion the extreme neurotic is actually the sanest one, which puts in perspective how crazy they other two are.

Archived