[TV/Book Spoilers] PTV Unsullied Thread Part 8

Independent George

PTV Unsullied really lost their spark, seems to me. I rarely venture there anymore. Good bits here and there, but generally meh.

Agreed, but I suppose that's a result of refusing to let the light of day enter their forum. I admire their restraint, but it's also coming at a cost of just talking themselves into circles.

NeoGAF has been a great revelation, though!

PTV is too strict. I much prefer NeoGAF. At least we book readers can go post in their thread.

They can, and they do, unfortunately. One NeoGAF supposedly unsullied poster just got caught calling Yara "Asha". And he was the one to point Sansa's necklace as maybe playing apart in the poisoning.

In short : NeoGAF "No spoilers" thread is not a real unsullied thread.

I really really hoped we wouldn't have show vs book people ala the Starks V. Lannisters but of course I was wrong in my hopes.

What surprises me about unsullied is this- if you are into the shows enough to go on forums, talk about the show, etc. why not just read the freaking books? It isn't Dostoyevsky or even a history book. ASOIAF books are light reads- with numerous POV's you can just read the chapters of your favorite characters. To me it just doesn't make sense at this juncture middle of Season 4 and book 5 has been published to not have read AFFC. Maybe the unsullied can explain this to me.

Perhaps because I am a soon to be part time librarian and completing my certification so I can teach AP English I wonder why people are so against books in general.

Oh well I love all of you! Sullied or not because if you are enough of a geek and lover of the ASOIAF universe to be on a forum well there is hope for the culture.

Its not that they're against books, but TV is a medium onto itself and the show should be able to successfully convey its story without the audience having to go to the book

on another note

On a different note, Mark Gatiss showing up as one of the iron bankers is one of the greatest things ever. Although, Stannis should have demanded more Sherlock episodes from him as opposed to gold

and ultimate brilliance.

Jamie has one hand and needs Bronn as backup. Tyrion knows this. So, it'll be neither of those two.

"I CALL CERSEI"

Cersei vs Margaery.

Winner: The audience.

I really really hoped we wouldn't have show vs book people ala the Starks V. Lannisters but of course I was wrong in my hopes.

What surprises me about unsullied is this- if you are into the shows enough to go on forums, talk about the show, etc. why not just read the freaking books? It isn't Dostoyevsky or even a history book. ASOIAF books are light reads- with numerous POV's you can just read the chapters of your favorite characters. To me it just doesn't make sense at this juncture middle of Season 4 and book 5 has been published to not have read AFFC. Maybe the unsullied can explain this to me.

Perhaps because I am a soon to be part time librarian and completing my certification so I can teach AP English I wonder why people are so against books in general.

Oh well I love all of you! Sullied or not because if you are enough of a geek and lover of the ASOIAF universe to be on a forum well there is hope for the culture.

You just said that you didn't want different factions against the others....and then you proceed to judge the other faction. lol Why do you even care if they read the books or not? How does it affect you?

Even if they enjoy this world, those books are time consuming and people have busy lives. It doesn't take nearly as much of a time commitment to watch shows and discuss things on a message board.

They're not against books - they're dead set on seeing a work stand on its own merits, and I agree with them. If you need to read the books or consult a reference material to follow the show, then it's failed. For the most part, the show's succeeded, but it's clear that there are points here and there where they've been led astray (the Reeds are the most obvious example).

I've sort of gotten a little disillusioned with PTV myself to be honest. It's not so much the being closed off that's a problem (though sometimes I wish I could give them a little nudge in the right direction), it's the fact that many don't seem to like the show any more which is really sad. Stannis is boring, Dany is boring, Bran is boring, Theon is boring, Jon is boring, the plotting in KL makes no sense etc. I feel like their complaints often validate some of my own criticisms of D+D's handling of the source material, as it shows that it isn't just book readers who catch the poor writing and plotting at times. But even when I agree with their complaints it's so frustrating to not be able to tell them that in the books it's different. They still remain very insightful though, and witty so I'll stick with them. I hope the end of this season sparks their interest again with some good fist pump moments for the good guys.

The most awful part of tonight's epi was the all time low of degrading Tyrion. It still boggles me that Tywin cannot or will not see that Tyrion is the braintrust legacy of the hallowed Lannister name. I kept thinking that if Tyrion lives long term in A Show, then what will his motivation and direction be from this point forward because although his family treate him like shit, and he has always complained about it, I think it was in the trial that he realized what utter bullshit his kin are and I would love to see him both live, and stick it to the Lannister clan in the end.

Hahaha! There will definitely be some sticking... [emphasis mine]

Over on WIC, their Unsullied recapper produces this little gem which matches the feelings of a lot of Bookwalkers:

A little more truth: I find myself repeatedly struggling to stay involved with Dany’s story. I think the conflict lies with the idea that we the viewers have been led to believe that we should like her character. But the more I see of her, the more I find myself growing to dislike her, and maybe that is the intent. After all, she does come from a line of family that included the Mad King and her own brother, Viserys. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, or so they say.

Except for the part about it being intentional, this was exactly my reaction on my first re-read.

Trial By Combat! Who will Tyrion name? THC (Tyrion's Hypothetical Champion - c'mon, I live in SEATTLE!) could be a number of people.

Maybe THC is Jaime. Since there is some spec that Jaime may have reached the end of his redemption arc, Jaime could die trying to save Tyrion's life. The THC could also be Bronn, who seems less likely to loose than Jaime. Who else is Tyrion familiar with as a great fighter? Oberyn Martel? It probably wouldn't be proper to select one of the judges to be a champion. The Mountain? Too much his father's henchman. Any other THC candidates?

Who would Cersei choose? Loras? There would be an amazing complexity to this. A grieving mother selecting her future husband (who she loathes) to fight for her in a trial by combat against the brother / baby-father who raped her. My mind wants to explode just thinking about it. She could also choose The Mountain, her father's loyal servant. Not nearly as interesting. No one else comes to mind for Cersei to choose.

Does a Trial By Combat have to be "to the death"? If it isn't, could Bronn fight for Tyrion and be bribed to throw the fight?

No matter who Tyrion selects as Champion, there is still a good chance they will LOOSE. Where will that leave Tyrion? Sitting in a dark cell, awaiting execution. Who could intervene?

1. Jaime. Strongly motivated to help, but could be injured / dead after the Trial By Combat. Or he could feel he did all he could to get Tyrion sent to the Wall, so all this Trial By Combat and it's aftermath is all on Tyrion's head.

Tyrell Family. Knows the truth behind the poisoning of Joffrey, and so don't want Tyrion to loose his head over it.

Varys. Might be motivated to save Tyrion's head because a) he couldn't save Poor Ned Stark, and b) he was sincere in saying "There are many who know that without you this city faced certain defeat. The king won't give you any honors, the histories won't mention you, but we will not forget." In S1 Varys told Ned "I could (free you); but will I? No. As I said, I am no hero", but he may be motivated by his promise ("we will not forget") to be heroic and risk his neck to save Tyrion.

Finally, someone is moderately close to an accurate spec. This is the first poster to even bring up the Mountain as a possible champion, much less to associate him with Cersei. I really can't understand why they think Jaime would be Tyrion's champion - he is the LC of the kingsguard, I think him fighting on Tyrion's side in a trial for regicide is a bit of a conflict of interest. I like this poster's spec on what happens if Tyrion loses, who could help him out - 2 out of 3!

As soon as I saw a peaceful, idyllic scene featuring a goatherd, his (supposed) son, and their charismatic flock, I literally said "uh oh."

When the dragon appeared and started lunch, I said "of course".

A Show is cruel, but at least neither of the goatherds got fried. Or eaten.

...yet :devil:

I've sort of gotten a little disillusioned with PTV myself to be honest. It's not so much the being closed off that's a problem (though sometimes I wish I could give them a little nudge in the right direction), it's the fact that many don't seem to like the show any more which is really sad. Stannis is boring, Dany is boring, Bran is boring, Theon is boring, Jon is boring, the plotting in KL makes no sense etc. I feel like their complaints often validate some of my own criticisms of D+D's handling of the source material, as it shows that it isn't just book readers who catch the poor writing and plotting at times. But even when I agree with their complaints it's so frustrating to not be able to tell them that in the books it's different. They still remain very insightful though, and witty so I'll stick with them. I hope the end of this season sparks their interest again with some good fist pump moments for the good guys.

Agreed. Take this for example:

Davos is loyal to Stannis because - look away! < insert plot hole > . The iron bank gives Stannis money because - look away! < insert plot hole >. What deal did they make and why? Who knows. They made a big song and dance about the iron bank but in the end it's just a plot device that gives you money. Cause nothing about it makes any kind of sense. They could have replaced this BS with Davos going on a treasure hunt with a pirate map that has X marks the spot and that would have been more interesting.

Literally lol'd at the bolded part, and don't necessarily disagree either. The Braavos loan made more sense in the books because Tywin was dead, Cersei was already "beggaring the realm" and Stannis was actively at war. It felt forced on the show and the ambiguity over what actually happened doesn't help.

At this point the Unsullied hate Stannis so much that I wonder if they will view his upcoming battles as bad guys vs. bad guys, and not care.

The "PTV" Unsullied have always been the least interesting group to discuss the show, in my eyes. NeoGAF and CHUD, in addition to several YouTube channels have always been my preferred sources for non-reader reactions (beyond critic reviews). That may have to do with the fact that the posters at TWoP, in general, were always missing both the forest and the trees for GoT and a number of other shows (like Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, etc.) that aren't overly simplistic. You go look at a thread for network shows like Revolution and Scandal, for example, and they absolutely love it... Besides, anyone who thought they didn't have readers among them was kidding themselves.

I've sort of gotten a little disillusioned with PTV myself to be honest. It's not so much the being closed off that's a problem (though sometimes I wish I could give them a little nudge in the right direction), it's the fact that many don't seem to like the show any more which is really sad. Stannis is boring, Dany is boring, Bran is boring, Theon is boring, Jon is boring, the plotting in KL makes no sense etc. I feel like their complaints often validate some of my own criticisms of D+D's handling of the source material

Fair enough, but I don't think that's the whole story. I get the impression that for whatever reason they're getting more and more narrow-minded. They hate the magical aspects of the story and they have since the beginning. As these things increase in prominence, so does their distaste for it. I also think, although they don't really say it openly, that some of them really dislike ASoIaF's/GoT's refusal to play by the book. They never truly recovered from the Slaughter of the Starks. They have these insanely well-thought-out theories on everything (which is cool) but that seems to leave them increasingly frustrated because they miss more often than not and then cry foul.

I really like Khal-a-bunga's observation that they are "missing both the forest and the trees" with their speculation.

Archived