[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

As a book reader I thought the final scene was a big spoiler since it confirms that there is another power behind the white walkers controlling them which may imply some type of intelligence (rather than just some deadly force of nature as the white walkers have seemed so far). Sure we have heard of the "Great Other" but I always thought it was implied that it was a "god" like figure that was worshiped by the white walkers in comparison to Rhllor being worshiped by humans. The thing that touched the baby was obviously not a white walker, and there were many of them in the distance so we may have the creatures which worship the great other.

And they were not children of the forest either which pretty much kills theories that they controlled the WW's too.

Perhaps to Orys I... LOL

I think it was just a thing they invented to keep conversation going. No big deal.

nah she was supposed to marry a targ...what they invented was seducing tyrell of course lol

-What the motherfucking fuck!? That last 20 minutes were half fan-fiction, half WoW spoiler

-Those Others look like Dragonball characters. I want Goku to kick ass and save that baby

-Ser Pounce is so going to watch Tommen and Margaery bang

Well, overall it was...different, I really don't know what to think

I'm pretty nervous of what the White Walkers will do with the baby then they just turned into one of them.

Great episode as always. The scene with Jaimie and Brienne is the most powerful one for me this ep and i really can't wait for Jon and his companions to destroy that mutiny.

I'm sure if they thought there was a huge spoiler they would mention it... They understand how popular the books are, obviously, and wouldn't spoil anything significant. This babble tonight about spoilers is comical. If you hadn't realized these things about the walkers by now then you should join the silent sisters.

It's been confirmed. The Other at the end was none other than the Night's King.

http://i.imgur.com/G1pdcan.png

Clearly there were more of them (the silhouettes) in the background that this one walked from. This one we saw was one of many that were there.

As book readers, is it time to stop watching the show? What we saw tonight, are they spoilers of what's to come or are D&D just trying to progress slow book story lines? I'm of a mind that I have to stop watching. But I don't want to. Ugh.

DnD said on Inside the Episode this scene wasn't in the books but suggested by it, and they wanted to show people more about them.

I don't know why so many people are automatically thinking this was a book spoiler instead of the possibility of it being more random shit that DnD have made up.

Didn't spoil a thing but by all means keeping saying it in every thread.

Other than what happens to Craster's sons, where the Others come from, who they are, how they are made, and who and where the Great Other/Night King might be, no . . . you are right, it didn't spoil a thing

Edited by Justin Danford

Apparently HBO has confirmed that the character at the end is the Nights King. This makes me feel slightly better since the NK is not an Other. Still not happy with the look.

Anyway, let's discuss this little revelation and it's implications.

Edited by DebL66

-Those Others look like Dragonball characters. I want Goku to kick ass and save that baby

Lmao.

I have always hated the look of the 'White Walkers' on the show. They are the complete opposite of how they are described in the books and what GRRM has stated in interviews.

Now what does that mean for anyone that faces them?

Forget weapons. They just touch you and you transform? Like the "cheese touch" in the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series. Automatic cooties? Automatic freeze?

Ok, I admit it. I get a kick out those books. Funny as all hell!

Crap, Jon and Westeros is screwed down the road. Dany better just roast them. People better make nice with her.

Kidding, I know show writers can divert, but still...

As book readers, is it time to stop watching the show? What we saw tonight, are they spoilers of what's to come or are D&D just trying to progress slow book story lines? I'm of a mind that I have to stop watching. But I don't want to. Ugh.

I think what's best is just to try as hard as possible to remind yourself to keep the book and show separated, like any adaptation. No adaptation will ever beat the books like any good piece of writing should do, but still FWIW HBO's done an excellent job with the series. Is it frustrating sometimes to watch plot lines completely altered, characters deleted and new content added seemingly without reason? Absolutely. But I think what's best to do is just for all of us to be grateful for what we have and try to enjoy both.

It's funny to think that years ago when Winteriscoming.net was getting started I know a bunch of us were just hoping that HBO would get the show to TWO SEASONS after grinding out for weeks and weeks the initial cast members. Now it's one of the most popular shows period and I have a ton of unsullied friends who are either reading the books season to season or have promised to start reading them once the show is done. Whether or not you want to quit watching the show is of course your decision but I think if you can separate them and accept the changes both can still be incredibly enjoyable.

Other than what happens to Craster's sons, where the Others come from, who they are, how they are made, and who and where the Great Other/Night King might be, no . . . you are right, it didn't spoil a thing

We already know what happens to Craster's sons;

Gilly was crying. “Me and the babe. Please. I’ll be your wife, like I was Craster’s. Please, ser crow. He’s a boy, just like Nella said he’d be. If you don’t take him, they will.”

“They?” said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, “They. They. They.”

The boy’s brothers,” said the old woman on the left. “Craster’s sons. The white cold’s rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don’t lie. They’ll be here soon, the sons.”

It didn't reveal where they come from or who they really are or who the Great Other is, that guy at the end wasn't even him.

Edited by NightStark

OR

it could be more random shit DnD have made up.

But I guess that never happens, right?

Apparently HBO has confirmed that the character at the end is the Nights King. This makes fell slightly better since the NK is not an Other. Still not happy with the look.

Anyway, let's discuss this little revelation and it's implications.

Check Ran's response to that below:

Bear in mind that that's not written by David and Dan, or indeed necessarily by anyone in the production. It could well change if someone who's read the books who's writing this stuff took a leap of their own. I'm not saying it's necessarily the case, but things like that have actually happened before with the show.

I was totally on board the White Walker scene... until the guy was revealed to be frozen Darth Maul. Now that made me go ''wuh?''. The ''normal'' WWs look quite cool as undead old men, if not in line with book canon, but this guy with fangs and horns? Come on, he looks right out of a Power Rangers episode.

You must read with your eyes closed if you're surprised by this.

-What the motherfucking fuck!? That last 20 minutes were half fan-fiction, half WoW spoiler

-Ser Pounce is so going to watch Tommen and Margaery bang

Well, overall it was...different, I really don't know what to think

have your seen the DBZ live action flick?

Dude, looks like piccolo

MAN, screw the Oberyn casting we got SER POUNCE.

they sure kept that one tight lipped