[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

We already know what happens to Craster's sons;

It didn't reveal where they come from or who they really are or who the Great Other is, that guy at the end wasn't even him.

The book excerpt doesn't reveal if crasters sons are turned into wights or others — a significant distinction. It also doesn't tell the method by which this happens. The show did both.

Now what does that mean for anyone that faces them?

Forget weapons. They just touch you and you transform? Like the "cheese touch" in the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series. Automatic cooties? Automatic freeze?

Ok, I admit it. I get a kick out those books. Funny as all hell!

Crap, Jon and Westeros is screwed down the road. Dany better just roast them. People better make nice with her.

Kidding, I know show writers can divert, but still...

Well yeah the show might be exaggerating the single touch and instant transformation thing... but I've long thought there was some sort of parallel between the Stone Men and the WW's. And the Stone Men infect by touch, though it takes much longer.

The closeup shot of Pod smiling excitedly at the idea of going off with Brienne on her quest made me unexpectedly emotional, knowing how Pod ended up at the end of AFFC (although I think--hope?--that he's still alive).

It made me laugh, but yeah, I think he's okay.

The book excerpt doesn't reveal if crasters sons are turned into wights or others — a significant distinction. It also doesn't tell the method by which this happens. The show did both.

Why would they turn them into wights? They already have plenty of them and can turn any human corpse into one, makes no sense that they would make a pact with Craster just to gain an extra few.

The woman in the passage also mentions that it becomes cold when they come..only happens with the Others.

There obviously had to be some sort of spell or other magic behind the change..they can't exactly send them to White Walker school to become one.

Edited by NightStark

Well yeah the show might be exaggerating the single touch and instant transformation thing... but I've long thought there was some sort of parallel between the Stone Men and the WW's. And the Stone Men infect by touch, though it takes much longer.

Factors of size or age, perhaps? Or other factors?

Can't believe still that this is something I would even be pondering this evening. LOL!

Would have been clever if the child was turned by having the Other's frosty breath poured into it, actually, now that you mention it. But then again, the show really didn't go all the way with the "kiss of fire" thing, did they? Thoros just prays over Beric, IIRC.

Why would they turn them into wights? They already have plenty of them and can turn any human corpse into one, makes no sense that they would make a pact with Craster just to gain an extra few.

The woman in the passage also mentions that it becomes cold when they come..only happens with the Others.

I don't think Wights go wondering on their own, Others come with them. Sure they are probably being turned into others, but that idea is a theory presented by a distressed wife of Craster. That doesn't mean that is what happens, and it doesnt explain how it happens. Some say the sky is blue because they live inside the eye of a blue eyed giant. Hearsay is one thing. Authoritative exhibition is another.

No one should be surprised that Jon Snow is the love child of R+L. That doesn't mean the show should tell us before George does and everyone be okay with it because it was implied.

There's no evidence to support that the Night's King was anything but a man who was killed in the Age of Heroes by The King in the North and Joramun, King Beyond the Wall. I don't think that was the Night's King anymore than that was/is a typo by someone who is ill-informed on the history. Most likely that guy is just some special Other.

There's no evidence to support that the Night's King was anything but a man who was killed in the Age of Heroes by The King in the North and Joramun, King Beyond the Wall. I don't think that was the Night's King anymore than that was/is a typo by someone who is ill-informed on the history. Most likely that guy is just some special Other.

Or maybe the NK was a man turned into an other by his Queen?

I always assumed that the babies were made into Others. But I thought it was a spoiler since they revealed that the white walkers are taking commands from someone else. Something that is much more human than the white walkers.

Also I don't think at all that the baby was turned into a WW as those seem much more like magical constructs than a living breathing creature. Seems that humans can potentially be transformed into that devil looking creature instead which looks more human than a WW.

Most importantly this has big implications for the rest of the book as now the battle we will be seeing at the wall won't just consist of a bunch of mindless white walkers herding zombies to the wall, but there are actually intelligent beings on the other side to contend with.