(Spoilers for book/show) Well a few theories just got confirmed/debunked...

Dubbs

The last few minutes of the new episode of the show revealed something new about the white walkers, primarily how they are born. The HBO viewers guide also revealed something as well...

http://i.imgur.com/G1pdcan.png

The white walker who turned the baby, with the crown spikes on his head is in fact the nights king (at the very least in the show). This not only has obvious implications regarding who the nights king is, but who coldhands may be.

Also keep in mind there were 13 walkers in this scene. The night's king was the 13th lord commander, and reigned for 13 years.

Gosh.

Well, color me surprised. While I did speculate the figure _might_ be a king, and even noted the 13 figures, I didn't think some random yahoo at HBO writing up their viewer's guide would insert the idea that it's _the_ Night's King.

It is always possible that whoever wrote the guide has taken extra-textual license, and this may end up changing if that detail was not what was intended (or at least was not intended to be revealed). Will be interesting to see if it changes in the next few days.

I dunno. I guess that while they're making small changes, they won't be changing everything as a whole. I think that in both books and show, this is what happened to Craster's sons and the NK is here to stay.

But I don't think we'll see him again until future seasons. They're simply introducing the character visually because if they have mentioned him (I can't remember), people can forget or miss him. In books we get some things repeated often for us to make theories and guesses but here is different. Image is better than words.

They're doing the same with the Iron Bank: we'll see it rather than hear about it because a main character will interact with it soon.

So the Darth Other is the Night's King and he is a part of a group of 13, he was the 13th Lord Commander of the watch.... so... were they all the orignal 13 lord commanders?

Was the wall built by the Others?

Did they wipe out the Children of the forest?

Are the first Men/Starks decended from the Others?

Is being an other a disease that is passed on via touch?

what if the ww/others are the first men? "the blood of the first men runs in my veins" has a whole different meaning if that is the case. but didnt the first men fight the others before the andals even arrived?

oh, my, god. hear me out. what if the nk story was flipped around. what if he was an other who married a human girl? my mind is completely blown right now and so many ideas are bounncing around up there. aaahhhh! so many questions!

So the Darth Other is the Night's King and he is a part of a group of 13, he was the 13th Lord Commander of the watch.... so... were they all the orignal 13 lord commanders?

Was the wall built by the Others?

Did they wipe out the Children of the forest?

Are the first Men/Starks decended from the Others?

Is being an other a disease that is passed on via touch?

no

Stannis fans rejoice!

This means he is not the Night's King.

Also, they say the Last Hero rode out with a dozen men.

Interesting, The Night's King and the story of the Last Hero and the number 13. We aren't told what happens to the Last Hero, just who he's looking for. His 12 companions die during the Long Night. Or do they?

We also learned that, contrary to what we've believed for years, Jon actually knew all along that Bran was alive :P

So, seriously, how can we know that this is actually legit and canonical, and not some made-up stuff made for the show?

(I mean, mostly, the Night's King being still there and ruling over the Others, and previous Lord Commanders being Others as well - Craster's kids being used to create new Others being quite a common theory)

Guest Thorrand

The write up says the WW rides to the city of ice, not the Land of Always Winter. It is specific in some ways, not others.

A city of ice. More than likely located in the land of always winter.

I hope GRRM addresses these questions.

1. Is that what happened to Craster's babies in the books too?

and

2. Is that really the Night's King, or did some HBO mook just decide to call him that?

It's not really something he can just leave hanging out there.

I hope GRRM addresses these questions.

1. Is that what happened to Craster's babies in the books too?

and

2. Is that really the Night's King, or did some HBO mook just decide to call him that?

It's not really something he can just leave hanging out there.

Maybe he can't though. Maybe they spoiled things from book 6 with this episode. It's entirely possible. They know the ending and they wouldn't have gone to his house multiple times to learn all the details if they were planning on writing their own ending. I think it's quite possible maybe even likely some of what we saw in regards to The Others is coming in book 6.

What are the thirteen figures a reference too?

If you mean the significance, the number 13 has various sinister associations in some religious mythology, particularly Christianity and Zoroastrianism. The latter is particularly interesting, since the whole Lord of Light/Great Other religious dichotomy has some Zoroastrian styling to it.

On the other hand though 13 also has positive associations in some mythology, mostly Judaism.

I think that HBO Realized its mistake because it went from this

to this: "A White Walker claims the baby and rides to a city of ice. The child is presented at an altar, where a Walker greets the infant and lays a finger on its cheek. The baby's eyes turn White Walker blue."

If you watch the Inside the Episode (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz5K_j4TRMs), the show wants to keep a mysterious atmosphere around the White Walkers, but identifying last night's Walker as the Night King removes some of the intrigue for those who read the books, explaining why they changed it.

Archived