(Spoilers for book/show) Well a few theories just got confirmed/debunked...

Dubbs

Regarding the 13 figures. Could it be that legends got it wrong and that the first 13 LCs of NW all "went to the dark side"?

The 12 comrades of the Last Hero also died one by one, IIRC. That could fit with the first 12 Lord Commanders going to the cold side.

There has been some speculation in the heresy threads about a connection to the corn king myth, a hint is Mormont's raven saying corn from time to time.

And I am missing a reason for the watch to go ranging if the White Walkers haven't been seen for a long time. They could just patrol the wall and prevent the wildlings from coming over and be done with it?

So:

The White Walkers and the First Men built the wall together as a border. The White Walkers provided the ice magic, the First Men the blood.

The Black Gate was the only doorway then, and the vow of the Night's Watch is also a spell. Each Winter the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch has to go on a ritual ranging and gets killed (=sacrificed). The 13th Lord Commander meets the female Other and is spared. As a price he has to sacrifice his sons (is there a Roose Bolton connection in there?). This causes the Long Night, i.e. the winter doesn't end as long as he is alive.

The prongs of "Ice Maul" are the crown of the kings of winter frozen in place.

He also produces one female offspring, she stayed north of the wall and started the Craster line. She will mostly produced daughters, with the sons getting sacrificed like in the last episode of the show?

Now what happens to the blue eyed babies?

Longshot: They become ravens ...

The 12 comrades of the Last Hero also died one by one, IIRC. That could fit with the first 12 Lord Commanders going to the cold side.

There has been some speculation in the heresy threads about a connection to the corn king myth, a hint is Mormont's raven saying corn from time to time.

And I am missing a reason for the watch to go ranging if the White Walkers haven't been seen for a long time. They could just patrol the wall and prevent the wildlings from coming over and be done with it?

So:

The White Walkers and the First Men built the wall together as a border. The White Walkers provided the ice magic, the First Men the blood.

The Black Gate was the only doorway then, and the vow of the Night's Watch is also a spell. Each Winter the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch has to go on a ritual ranging and gets killed (=sacrificed). The 13th Lord Commander meets the female Other and is spared. As a price he has to sacrifice his sons (is there a Roose Bolton connection in there?). This causes the Long Night, i.e. the winter doesn't end as long as he is alive.

The prongs of "Ice Maul" are the crown of the kings of winter frozen in place.

He also produces one female offspring, she stayed north of the wall and started the Craster line. She will mostly produced daughters, with the sons getting sacrificed like in the last episode of the show?

Now what happens to the blue eyed babies?

Longshot: They become ravens ...

I think the long night was before the wall was built.

If all of the Nights king's Daughter's male offspring were given to the Walkers, where did Craster come from?

From GRRM on his notablog:

How do you define "spoiler?"

If something happens on the show before it happens in the book, I suppose one could call that a spoiler.

If something happens on the show, but happens very differently in the books, is that still a spoiler?

If something happens on the show, but never happens in books, what precisely was spoiled?

And how many children did Scarlett O'Hara have, anyway?

I think, frankly my dear, he doesn't give a damn.

Well I thought we had already assured that the ww/others are one thing, the wights another. If you don t state that nothing else makes sense...

I got these two ideas from the episode: 12 camerades died going north with the last hero/AA to defeat the great other but they did succeed, given that the long night finally ended. The wall was built and it would defend the realms of men as long as the NW stay true. But then the 13th LC could have been swayed to the dark side wich wasn t totally defeated by the 12 dead friends (killed by an entity wich gives a new birth with death), and being the first that doesn t stay true to his vows begins the spell breaking, begins the return of the Others becoming he himself the new Great Other. Don t know why this has to take thousands of years but maybe they can t begin their war again until the NW betrays its vows with no turning back (Jon second in turn LC being killed by his brothers).

They need the babies because they can turn into ww only them while adults being killed by them become wights. So I think there are many more ww/others than the 13 we saw, but the circle of those precise 13 makes the spell to turn the babies. So they can have a hierarchy like the nights king,his 12 fellows wich are the original ones,and then a score of the babies they ve transformed during millenias.... that wuold be a threat wouldn t it?

I agree that the baby becoming a WW is no true spoiler. I'd put it more or less in the category of things that have only been hinted on in the books, but bluntly confirmed in the show. It does have more of an impact because it's magic, and magic's gotta be important in the story.

The Night King spoiler/mistake is much more of a big deal. I don't mind cuz I find spoilers exciting but I get that some wouldn't like it.

What I want to know is where are all the Heresy thread veterans these last 48 hours?!?

I would have expected the Board to be exploding under a storm of Celtic/Nordic-inspired analysis based on what - I agree (particularly given the information was removed from that HBO write-up) - what a pretty major spoiler.

I was wondering the same thing!

Also how did they KNOW the baby was there? Looked like he came an extremely long way to get the child but how did he know to go?

But Crastor left all his boys, he had about what 30 daughters? So let's just say he had 30 sons, now there all white walkers?

I answer these questions with... "becoz magic"

Didn't Craster say he had 99 sons or did I just make that up?

I've also wondered how the WW knew to get the baby or if there's always one around or something (it did happen pretty quick when Jon witnessed it). I'm kinda ok with the because magic or whatever on that one but what's been bugging me is the WW city would have to be close to Craster's cause I'm not quite ok with dismissing the logistics of transporting a newborn all the way up to the Land of always winter.

[snip]

I agree that the number 13, if it means anything, fits better with the Last Hero's 12 companions than with the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Though the latter might be inspired from the former.

And I also generally like your theory there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived