[spoilers] Nitpicking with Impunity

Nami

I think Jon might have put him in a cage for the night so he wouldn't be tempted to eat all Craster's pigs in the night. I'm worried about Ghost because I didn't actually see any sign of them giving him any food or water. How long has it been since Jon or Sam were there?

They are probably keeping Ghost as a kind of watchdog. He'll make noise if someone's out there he doesn't know, which is helpful for them for now. And then he'll starve and they won't have to worry about him. They're creeps and I hope he eats them all.

So you think they are using a Often Mute direwolf the size of a lion as an alarm? Also, they feed him. As they did in the last episode.

Also, when would Jon have caged him up? Ghost stayed by his side I believe up until he travels with Qhorin on the show... Ghost trots off on his own. In the books Jon sends Ghost away with instructions to go to Castle Black... Not Crasters. There is no scene with him saying go back to crasters.

This instance and the whole, Bran being close to Crasters make no sense. Also, If I have to speculate or guess aspects of a story that are not meant to be mysteries or intreguing... Then the story has problems.

IMO the Other protected him from the cold. They seem like they can control it.

There is no evidence of them adding heat, which is what they would need. The child was naked. When fat man, left him on that stone the cover came loose and his chest was bare. He would have froze coming from the Keep to that rock. It only seemed like the Night Kind had the power to change the baby. I can't see any of that being plausible.

Again, I agree. Ghost being here is such a stupid fucking plot point, but I also never got the impression that these idiot mutineers ever "captured" him. I just assumed that he was put in there for safety reasons, much like Grey Wind was caged up during the Red Wedding.

The part that I don't understand is why he wasn't treated the same way as Grey Wind was. Wasting food on an extra mouth makes no sense to me, because none of these guys can control him and they have no practical use for him.

I would love to be in the writers room with D&D just so I could point out how fucking stupid and nonsensical their fan fiction is.

We should have had a scene in episode 1 with Jon standing on top of the Wall and seeing Ghost running out from the woods towards the Wall and have the reunion then, and then Ghost could have accompanied him on this murder mission.

But that would have made too much sense for D&D.

Yup.

Another option would be to just ignore Ghost completely until after this season when he returns as part of Jon's decision regarding whether to take Stannis' offer.

Another sensible option would have been to have Ghost be free but haunting around Crasters and have the desserters be scared of him (some scene with Rast spotting him out of the corner of his eye or similar). That would also justify them digging absurb pit-traps for Summer AND would give Bran a reason to have been attracted to Crasters in the first place. And ultimately it would allow Jon to find his wolf and/or Bran to warg his wolf as part of an escape in a later episode (they're going to have Bran warg hodor, by the way). Of course, it's all to serve the silly side-plot, but it would at least be less embarassing to watch.

There is no evidence of them adding heat, which is what they would need. The child was naked. When fat man, left him on that stone the cover came loose and his chest was bare. He would have froze coming from the Keep to that rock. It only seemed like the Night Kind had the power to change the baby. I can't see any of that being plausible.

Or maybe Craster's boys are immune to cold as Dany is to heat/fire. Not sure I even believe this but it's a thought...

• 4 months later...

The whole Meereen sequence really bothered me. I remember being very impressed with Dany's (and her advisers') plan to conquer Meereen, how much time it took to prepare etc. In the show it seemed ridiculously easy. The only thing I really liked about the Meereen sequence was that shot of Dany with the Targaryen banner behind her. Everything else was just... boring. And stupid. Why would any slave write "Kill all masters" in English when both the slaves and the masters clearly don't speak English? Argh. What also bothers me about the Meereen sequence is the knowledge that Dany won't go anywhere soon from there and that her storyline will deteriorate if the show sticks to the books. Also, where are her dragons? Are they hiding?

Also very annoying: Bran near Craster's resp. inside Craster's and revealing his identity. What the heck?

Annoying and boring as usual: Jon Snow and his merry men. Never cared much for that storyline (neither when reading the books nor when watching the show), never will.

• 11 months later...

Archived