[spoilers] Nitpicking with Impunity

Nami

To be fair, Marg might have strolled out of Tommens room just as the added guards arrived.

It may have appeared as if she were returning from the loo.

Nit pick: Crasters..

It's hard to concentrate on the conversation at hand,

when backed by a chorus of ow! from around the room.

Keep it down! we have company.

Spearing Hodor in the leg....

Taking a helpless thing and putting it in peril.

.gee..

how ordinary...

and the masses wept.

I'm not defending this episode because it was all around stupid, but when Marg enters the room, she readjusts her dress: I just assumed she went all HBO on the guard and he let her in.

I don't think that's Margaery's style, lowering herself to sexual intimacy with Boros Blount or whoever; but the show then went on to have her fondle a 12-year-old boy; so who knows. I did think Tommen's facial reactions were appropriate - a cross between I can't believe I'm going to be this lucky and deer-in-the-headlights-needing-to-get-some-advanced-sex-ed-quickly.

I don't think that's Margaery's style, lowering herself to sexual intimacy with Boros Blount or whoever; but the show then went on to have her fondle a 12-year-old boy; so who knows. I did think Tommen's facial reactions were appropriate - a cross between I can't believe I'm going to be this lucky and deer-in-the-headlights-needing-to-get-some-advanced-sex-ed-quickly.

Book!Marg, sure. But I don't know, I'm done giving this show the benefit of the doubt concerning female characters and them possesssing any sort of agency other than their sexuality.

gettin' real tired of all the rape. We get it. It's a crapsack world full of bad people. It's particularly shit if you own a vagina. But, you know, there are other ways to show how shitty a world is without constantly showing women getting raped, and worse, filming it in loving detail, with bouncing boobs clearly meant to titillate even as you sip your coffee and loudly annouce 'gosh, aren't those people just awful'?

*sigh*

Otherwise:

- Bran's wig/hair/whatever it is. It looks like it's about to leap off his head and attack someone. (Jon's hair is also developing its own personality, but at least it looks like it belongs on his head.)

- I didn't have a problem with Jon not knowing about Ghost's capture (his warging ability hasn't been touched upon yet) but you'd think he'd have wondered about Ghost at least once. Mind you, they seem to be keen on showing important Jon moments off-screen (see: Sam telling him about Bran.)

- Speaking of rape, are we not going to discuss this, showrunners? Not at all? Is Cersei not going to call Jaime out on what he did? No? We're going to show Jaime as being secretly honourable, sweet to Brienne, sending her off on a mission to save Sansa because he's secretly the nice guy Lannister, even though he raped his sister next to his dead son last week?

(I don't have a problem with Secret Nice Guy Jaime - it works fine in the books. But he didn't rape anyone in the books.)

- Jorah standing idly on the sidelines as the Unsullied stormed the sewers. I love show!Jorah and I love Iain Glen but please give the poor guy something to do other than just rasp 'Khaleeesiiiii' every other episode.

- Obviously, 'Kill Your Masters'. What a stupid oversight.

Dany's glory shot atop Kremlin.

Literally nothing bad happen in the sack of Meereen. No brutal murders and other stuff?

If writers want to have rape in every episode it should have been in the sack of Meereen.

For once show that Dany's army is just as pathetic as other armies present in Westeros and Essos.

More Dany whitewashing. *Sigh*

Littlefinger's accent as usual. Not nearly as bad as last week but still kept me distracted from an otherwise excellent scene.

What do you mean? The hint of irish in it? Maybe they speak like that in the fingers, I mean other characters have a bit of an english accent.

I thought Aiden Gillen was perfect. Fits Littlefinger so damn well. Dat grin.

Olenna: "I was to be given to some Targaryen or other. Marrying a Targaryen was all the rage back then. But the moment I saw my intended, with his twitchy little ferret's face and ludicrous silver hair, I knew he wouldn't do."

Perhaps it's just my poor English, but isn't her first sentence ("some Targaryen or other") in contrast with the third one, in which she speaks about a very specific, albeit unnamed Targaryen ("I saw my intended")? Is it me not understanding some finesse of English language, or one more blatant example of terrible writing?

Olenna: "I was to be given to some Targaryen or other. Marrying a Targaryen was all the rage back then. But the moment I saw my intended, with his twitchy little ferret's face and ludicrous silver hair, I knew he wouldn't do."

Perhaps it's just my poor English, but isn't her first sentence ("some Targaryen or other") in contrast with the third one, in which she speaks about a very specific, albeit unnamed Targaryen ("I saw my intended")? Is it me not understanding some finesse of English language, or one more blatant example of terrible writing?

"Some Targaryen or other" is a 'figure of speech' in English. It is an off-handed way of saying 'I can't recall their name, because I don't really care' or 'I don't think it is important enough to try to remember'.

The marg bit that annoyed me the most is that she wasnt in on joffreys death.

And it looks only stupider if we remember she was schooling Renly about The Game in Season 2. Back then, she was an experienced, all-knowing schemer, but this season she's constantly shocked by the power plays of her own family. Look like TV Margaery has the same condition as Benjamin Button, only on mental lever: she's more and more infantile with each season.

"Some Targaryen or other" is a 'figure of speech' in English. It is an off-handed way of saying 'I can't recall their name, because I don't really care' or 'I don't think it is important enough to try to remember'.

Thanks for clarification, but, truth be told, it didn't improve my impression of the line. Like, if the guy's look (or whatever it was that turned her off) was so important to Olenna, it's petty to mock him by refusing to recall his name, which she probably remembers clearly. We shouldn't be constantly reminded of how unsubmissive to men Olenna is. It's tiring.

Three things that were already mentioned I would nitpick about:

- The slave rebellion going too smooth

- Margaery being too naive when talking to Olenna (it's "should I go and get my brother" Margaery, so come on, she knows how it's done and in this case having the contrast of Sansa, who gets something for once makes it even worse)

- and personally: Jaime is getting way too nice again too fast. (I didn't mind the sept scene much, but now him distancing himself from Cersei just happens too fast for me, I would have liked a little bit more "emotional struggle" in deciding what to do with Sansa as it also means chosing between Cersei and Brienne)

My only problem with this episode was how easily Meereen was captured. Give out a few swords and hey presto you have a city.

Also the Direwolves being taken so effortlessly.

I don't care about the other changes, they help the tv show flow better.

I think that Margaery's trying to get Tommen on her side was a good idea but I feel uncomfortable with her sneaking into his bedchamber in the middle of the night. I get that it's probably the only way she can get time with him alone but it's a little creepy- I mean, if Tommen were a girl and Marge a guy people would be pretty angry about it the way they are with Littlefinger and Sansa. Also, it emphasizes how poor the security of King's Landing is...I mean, this is the heir to the throne, how was she able to get past the guards? Just like in The Lion and the Rose were Tywin looked like a fool asking for the surrounding area to be guarded...only there was no one in the street to see Dontos and Sansa escape.

Why does Sansa say that Littlefinger killed Joffrey? He was part of the plot but it was the Queen of Thorns who put the poison in the cup. Wouldn't most of the culpability lie in the hands of the person who was actually there? I know people are glad she figured it was him but really- who wouldn't? He's so obviously sinister. Murder ship wrapped in fog, slaying Dontos in front of her, crushing the necklace and admitting he had it made weeks ago. You don't have to be a genius to figure that out. I would've been more impressed had she figured out that Olenna was the actual poisoner.

Not sure what to think of that White Walker and the baby.

While I did enjoy the episiode, I think there is a lot that can be nit picked with it.

- LF voice (again)

- Ghost being kept alive, the NW KNOW he is Snow's and what he can do

- Ghost being able to growl, I really miss that he isn't the silent brother

- Bran at Crasters

- Jon needing to go to Crasters

- Sam telling Jon about Bran

-apparently, that whole scenario bugs me

- the mutineers at Crasters not all having pencil moustaches to twirl - that's kind of how ridiculous they were portrayed

- drinking out of Mormonts skull...

- wanting to see more of the taking of Mereen

2. How the heck is Bran anywhere near Craster's Keep? Its 60 miles from Castle Black. Bran left from the Nightfort. He also left around a month ago. They can't have only gone 60 miles or less in that time.

that's not something that bugs me...maybe the direction they took, but even for Hodor I would guess that dragging a sledge each day will get taxing and since it's not great weather they may have lost some time travelling.

1. The "Kill the masters" in English, in Latin alphabet.

2. After not showing Ghost for two seasons, he is shown in a cage? The direwolves are not supposed to be that silly nor that weak, how could they trap him?

3. The show spoiling the future books with the Great Other.

4. The Others looking really bad.

And, that reminds me, where is his friend Pyp??? The Mummer's Monkey who could pick out any accent, and ya know, the guy who is a friend, and does more than just look on?? That's a big nit. I'm not sure if I noticed whether he stood up to volunteer? Anyone know for sure?

I was looking for him too. He was sitting in the dining hall during Jon's speech, but he did not stand up. He will probably not go north with them - not sure why, maybe because he is a steward, not a ranger? But then Edd is a steward too, and he volunteered (which is also kinda out of character for Edd) ...

Archived