Textual evidence the Others are Crasters Sons?

Maester2chainz

So I was browsing through the GoT sub-forum and saw a huge quote that heavily implies that the others are Crasters Sons.

Gilly was crying. “Me and the babe. Please. I’ll be your wife, like I was Craster’s. Please, ser crow. He’s a boy, just like Nella said he’d be. If you don’t take him, they will.”

“They?” said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, “They. They. They.”

“The boy’s brothers,” said the old woman on the left. “Craster’s sons. The white cold’s rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don’t lie. They’ll be here soon, the sons.”

Now the real question is does Craster have specific blood or can anyone sacrifice their child to the Others?

I'm thinking he does not have specific blood, though people have quoted text of someone saying he "has a cold smell about him." If I were to guess, that's simply that the person is suspicious that he is in cahoots with The Others.

OR, another theory that I like is that Craster made a deal with The Others in return for his and his daughters' safety he would give up his sons. Those children were given the mark and turned into WW's. Craster's soul was also marked and those with heightened senses can smell it on him.

Whichever theory you prefer regarding Craster and The Others, it has been generally accepted that his sacrifices led to more white walkers some how. Last night, GoT went well beyond what Martin has ever written on the subject and for the first time really broke off from the general book storyline to show everyone something new.

I am in complete assumption that the show runners try to keep the show faithful to Martin's story and will run things like this by him before filming. So, maybe this isn't a huge break from the books afterall.

That's kind of amazing that all the book readers who analyze everything so closely missed this.

In fact, it even implies that the GoT TV show scene isn't actually a spoiler - it's just showing something that was said or implied in the book (like Renly being gay, Theon losing his cock, etc)

That's kind of amazing that all the book readers who analyze everything so closely missed this.

In fact, it even implies that the GoT TV show scene isn't actually a spoiler - it's just showing something that was said or implied in the book (like Renly being gay, Theon losing his cock, etc)

Yeah I don't really consider it a spoiler either

I agree with this 100%.

The biggest deviation from the books in last night's episode involves the Bran story line and Jon Snow's story line converging in a way it never does in the books.

The showriters know the general gist of how each character's arc is going to end and GRRM did provide them a basic blueprint overall, so I trust that they know what they're doing.

Like, in this instance, this was something quite a lot of people thought was happening. I mean, why else would the Walkers give a shit about making a deal with Craster. Hell, how does that even happen? Did they write a blood contract? So it was obvious that the Others were doing something more special with the babies than they do with corpses because I'm pretty sure they could kill Craster and all his people with very little effort; so why suffer "making deals" with mortal ants.

I mean, I guess there were some who thought they were just eating babies for food, but that never struck me as reasonable nor did it make sense. Waiting 9 months for a meal or two is kinda a rough deal.

Welcome to the wonderful world of filler arcs.

Ye. Bran's journey is pretty boring tho, so maybe they decided they needed to spice it up just a bit. So long at it doesn't deviate from him going north to his cave and jon going back to castle black it really doesn't matter I guess.

I have read a number of interesting The Last Hero, The Long Night, and The Night's King theories though. So at least some good is coming of it. :cheers:

There's a theory that Craster could be a Stark, maybe his father was the Stark on the Wall, or he's the descendant of the Night's King, who is also theorised to be a Stark.

The Night's King being a Stark is a pretty accepted theory I do believe. Tying Craster to that family line in any way runs into crackpot territory though I think.

Craster’s blood is black, and he bears a heavy curse.

I think Craster had to come to an arrangement with the Others, it wasn't just a practical arrangement. He probably does have blood which is right for othering (more so than other wildlings) but half the north probably have Stark or Bolton blood and the NK lived thousands of years ago and probably has thousands of descendants so Craster's dad could just have been a normal watch brother from the north.

Other Others textual evidence

The wildlings were cruel men, she said, slavers and slayers and thieves. They consorted with giants and ghouls, stole girl children in the dead of night, and drank blood from polished horns. And their women lay with the Others in the Long Night to sire terrible half-human children.

“He was a wildling,” Bran said. “They carry off women and sell them to the Others.

His lord father smiled. “Old Nan has been telling you stories again.

In that darkness, the Others came riding, she used to say, dropping her voice lower and lower. Cold and dead they were, and they hated iron and fire and the touch of the sun, and every living creature with hot blood in its veins. Holdfasts and cities and kingdoms of men all fell before them, as they moved south on pale dead horses, leading hosts of the slain. They fed their dead servants on the flesh of human children(this was the main quote used to discount Craster's wives statement)

She remembered a story Old Nan had told once, about a man imprisoned in a dark castle by evil giants. He was very brave and smart and he tricked the giants and escaped … but no sooner was he outside the castle than the Others took him, and drank his hot red blood.

At Winterfell one of the serving women told us stories,” Jon went on. “She used to say that there were wildlings who would lay with the Others to birth half-human children.

“Hearth tales. Does Craster seem less than human to you?”

In half a hundred ways. “He gives his sons to the wood.”

A long silence. Then: “Yes.” And “Yes,” the raven muttered, strutting. “Yes, yes, yes.”

“You knew?”

“Smallwood told me. Long ago. All the rangers know, though few will talk of it.”

“Did my uncle know?”

“All the rangers,” Mormont repeated. “You think I ought to stop him. Kill him if need be.” The Old Bear sighed. “Were it only that he wished to rid himself of some mouths, I’d gladly send Yoren or Conwys to collect the boys. We could raise them to the black and the Watch would be that much the stronger. But the wildlings serve crueller gods than you or I. These boys are Craster’s offerings. His prayers, if you will.

I can see why people though that there was a possibility that the Others were just eating the babies but I always gave Craster's wives the benefit of the doubt as they had first hand knowledge of the Others which Old Nan and the like didn't.

They didn't. They just thought the woman was a kook. Missing the point made by Old Nan, that the elders know the score and pass on their wisdom.

Archived