GOODKIND IX - Killer Queen

MinDonner

I am disappointed in the last quote Terry clearly wasn't on top of his game if he wanted to really impress us Oba should of Raped his mother. Then bashed her head in with a shovel. That is true empowerment.

Considering what a messed-up imbecile Oba is made out to be, I'm surprised he didn't rape his mother after killing her. There has been a shocking lack of necrophilia in this series. I would have thought it a natural next step in Terry (BBNC)'s glorious tale. What better way to demonstrate the evil of the Order than a sentence like;

Nicci (to D'Haran soldiers): "After the battle, the enemy will scour the battlefield searching for D'Haran soldiers that have survived. When they find one, they castrate him, fry up his testicles and eat them in a celebration feast, torture the poor soldier to death, and then finally engage in intercourse with the corpse."

Sounds evil to me.

Oh, and Oba is a very realistic serial killer as TG (BBHN) talked to a bunch of FBI-guys that told him so, or something like it. I seem to recall him saying that in an interview, and TG (BBHN) never passes an opportunity to toot his own horn up.

Wait a minute, Oba is the serial killer that Goodkind is always talking about that he did all that research with the FBI for? :o:rofl:

Who else does he kill? Is the shovel and moving as quick as a fox his preferred method on killing? Is there a Midlands CSI unit that finally brings him to justice?

I'm worried by the continuous references to drinking in this thread from people who have just read Terry Goodkind.

What will happen with the 50 million people who have read his books according to our most trusted sources of information concerning Terry Goodkind and his world? Are Health Services aware of the terrible consequences of this: people who read Goodkind and then drink to forget and then buy and read more of his books so they can drink more and forget. It's a vicious circle?

Wait a minute, Oba is the serial killer that Goodkind is always talking about that he did all that research with the FBI for? :o:rofl:

Wait a minute, Goodkind researched Oba's character? He did research and Oba still turned out as a crappy character? Inconceivable.

I wonder what kind of research did TG did with the FBI? Is Oba based on a real-life serail killer, or is he a composite of several serial killers?

Wait a minute, Goodkind researched Oba's character? He did research and Oba still turned out as a crappy character? Inconceivable.

I wonder what kind of research did TG did with the FBI? Is Oba based on a real-life serail killer, or is he a composite of several serial killers?

It's probably a mish-mash of characteristics, not really based on anyone. Besides, based on what I've seen so far, Oba wouldn't even be classified as a serial killer. Serial killers generally kill strangers, otherwise they wouldn't last too long. And most are at least moderately intelligent as well, or once again they wouldn't be able to avoid detection for too long. Oba seems more like a spree killer to me, who had psychotic break and went on a rampage for awhile.

You could almost make a parallel with the Middle East situation: Richard & co are Hezbollah, making as many kills as possible, because they can't face the Imperial Order (Israel) head on, due to their strength in numbers (real world: superiority of equipment)

Both sides kill civilians, one side claims all deaths are justified in the struggle for freedom. Not sure whether the IO claims the victims, rapes, etc... is collateral damage, though. euhm, yeah. ok, fine, it's a weak comparison. Sue me :P

No, Richard's crew is the US. The IO are terrorists and Iraq. They attacked us first so now we can go into their land and kill them as we see fit. If you kill a small Iraqi/IO child now then he won't grow up to be a terrorist/IO Soldier later. The US has the moral clarity to justify this. Hezbolah doesn't.

It's probably a mish-mash of characteristics, not really based on anyone. Besides, based on what I've seen so far, Oba wouldn't even be classified as a serial killer. Serial killers generally kill strangers, otherwise they wouldn't last too long. And most are at least moderately intelligent as well, or once again they wouldn't be able to avoid detection for too long. Oba seems more like a spree killer to me, who had psychotic break and went on a rampage for awhile.

I've read somewhere that those with criminal backgrounds were abused as a child and lived in a depressed neighborhood. Oba seems to have that down pat. But intelligence is something Oba seems to lack. ;)

Who does Oba kill, aside from his mother? and how long did he go on killing beofre being caught?

Oba kills the sorceress because she won't shut up, then his mother for a similar reason and after the revelation that he can kill without consequence goes on to experiment with killing whores and anyone else he please for a while. He is of course never caught until he decides to try and kill Richard and take his place. He feels that as a Rahl he has every right to become the new Lord of D'hara.

He is also never caught because this world does not have a police force as we would understand it. In fact this entire world is not as we would understand it. Rational behaviour, realistic action and consequences are completely absent from this fictional world, which is ok because Goodkind does not do worldbuilding and there is no such thing as a contradiction.

Furthermore I request that this serious dissection of Goodkind's work desists instantly and a triumphant return to parody begin forthwith. Thank you.

I don't think Oba kills all that many people. A few more I think. I doubt the body count goes higher than six or seven, but at the moment I really don't feel up to skimming through that book again. Maybe later. After a few drinks.

A return to parody? Consider it done. Herewith, I present the little-known Jane Austen work, Truth and Consequence...

"By the bye, Richard," said Kahlan, "Are you really serious in conducting a war in the Midlands? I would advise you, before you determine on it, to consult the wishes of the present party; I am much mistaken if there are not some among us to whom a war would be rather a punishment than a pleasure."

"If you mean Zedd," cried her husband, "he may go to the Westlands, if he chooses, before it begins--but as for the war, it is quite a settled thing; and as soon as Jagang has molested my countrymen enough, I shall send round my invitations." "I should like wars infinitely better," she replied, "if they were carried on in a different manner; but there is something insufferably tedious in the usual process of such an occasion. It would surely be much more rational if conversation instead of fighting were made the order of the day." "Much more rational, my dear Kahlan, I dare say, but it would not be near so much like a war," said he.

"Surely we can work together to find a peaceful solution," suggested a hippy.

"Oh! shocking!" cried Kahlan. "I never heard anything so abominable. How shall we punish him for such a speech?" "Nothing so easy, if you have but the inclination," said Nicci. "You hold him down, I'll get the pincers and red-hot poker. Let him feast upon those testicles of his, then we can all laugh. With your long association with Richard, you must know how it is to be done."

Furthermore I request that this serious dissection of Goodkind's work desists instantly and a triumphant return to parody begin forthwith. Thank you.

Hear, hear!

Brilliant, MinDonner. I like the bit on "as soon as Jagang has molested my countrymen enough, I shall send round my invitations." It so polite and chilling at the same time. ;)

Ayn Rand QOTD (2) from The Fountainhead

Altruism is the doctrine which demands that man live for others and place others above self.

No man can live for another. He cannot share his spirit just as he cannot share his body. But the second-hander has used altruism as a weapon of exploitation and reversed the base of mankind's moral principles. Men have been taught every precept that destroys the creator. Men have been taught dependence as a virtue.

<snip>

Men have been taught that their first concern is to relieve the suffering of others. But suffering is a disease. Should one come upon it, one tries to give relief an assistance. To make that the highest test of virtue is to make suffering the most important part of life. The man must wish to see others suffer--in order that he may be virtuous. Such is the nature of altruism. The creator is not concerned with disease, but with life. Yet the work of the creators has eliminated one form of disease after another, in man's body and spirit, and brought more relief from suffering than any altruist could ever conceive.

Freaky. Mm Rand is attacking a notion. And the ultimate consequence of that notion, altruism, is that one will actively inflict suffering if no more suffering can be found to make life meaningfull.

Bad girl, bad bad girl.

In a black and white society or world this might prove usefull as a confrontational approach but in modern society there are no outspoken black and white ideologies left. Well, apart from the Randian and neo-con followers in the USA. The rest of the western world has moved on and packed all notions in a toolbox to be used when applicable. The Randian solution seems very benificial for the healthy, strong and independent few, not for everybody else that happens to be temporarily or permanently in a less able state.

I stated before: inequalities exist and will always exist, it is how you handle those that define a society. Dismissing other social (economic) notions is just plain ignorant.

There has been a lot of talk about Richard sending his troops to the Old World to wreak havoc, so I guess it’s only fair to give a sample of what these troops have actually been doing. Despite the vast distances and (apparently) little time, these go-getters from D’Hara have been very busy boys, causing mischief all over the Old World. In honor of their intrepid spirits and can-do attitudes, their glorious deeds against the evil citizens of the Old World win a place as the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day.

“Well,†Jagang said, “what is it that’s so urgent?â€

“Excellency, cities in the Old World have come under attack.â€

“Is that so.†Jagang heaved an impatient sight. “It’s those insurrectionists, mostly from Altur’ Rang. Haven’t they been put down yet?â€

“No, Excellency, it is not insurrectionists – although they are causing trouble as well, led by one called the blacksmith. Too many places have been attacked for it to be the doings of insurrectionists.â€

Jagang eyed the man suspiciously. “What places have come under attack?â€

The man pulled a scroll out from inside his dusty shirt. “Here is a list we have collected, so far.â€

“So far?†Jagang asked, arching an eyebrows as he unfurled the scroll.

“Yes, Excellency. The information is that there is a wave of destruction sweeping across the land. “

Jagang scanned the long list of places on the scroll. Kahlan tried not to appear obvious as she glanced at the report out of the corner of her eye. She saw two columns of towns and cities listed. There had to be more than thirty-five or forty places written on the scroll.

“I don’t know what you mean by ‘sweeping across the land,’†Jagang growled. “These places are all random. They’re not located in a line, or cluster, or one area of the Old World. They’re all over the place.â€

The man cleared his throat. “Yes, Excellency. That is the report.â€

“Some of this has to be overstated.†To make his point, Jagang jabbed the paper with a fat finger. The silver rings on each finger flashed in the fading light. “Taka-Mar, for instance. Taka-Mar has been attacked? It couldn’t have been very effective for a malcontent mob of fools to attack such a place. There are troop garrisons there. It’s a transfer station for supply trains. There are ample defenses in place. There are even Brothers of the Fellowship of Order in charge of the place. They wouldn’t have allowed a rabble to have their way in Taka-Mar. This report most likely is overstated by nervous fools who are afraid of their own shadow.â€

The man bowed apologetically. “Excellency, Taka-Mar was one of the places I saw with my own eyes.â€

“Well?†Jagang roared. “What did you see, then? Out with it!â€

“The roads into the city from every direction are lined with stakes topped with charred skulls,†the man began.

“How many skulls?†Jagang waved dismissively. “Dozens? As many as a hundred?â€

“Excellency, thee were numbers beyond counting, and I stopped counting at several thousand without having made much headway in a full tally. The city itself is no more.â€

“No more?†Jagang blinked in confusion. “What do you mean, no more? Such a thing is impossible.â€

“It has been burned to the ground, Excellency. There was not a single building left standing. The fires were so intense that the lumber cannot be salvaged. The orchards all the way out into the hills were all cut down. The fields of ripe crops for miles and miles in every direction have all been burned. The ground has been salted. Nothing will ever grow there again. A once fertile place will never support anything again. It looks like the Keeper himself destroyed the place.â€

“Well, where were the soldiers! What were they doing during all this!â€

“The skulls on stakes were the soldiers garrisoned there. Every last one of them, I’m afraid.â€

Jagang cast a look at Kahlan, as if she were somehow responsible for the catastrophe. His glare told her that he somehow associated the trouble with her. He crushed the paper in his fist as he returned his attention to the messenger.

“What about the Brothers of the Order/ Did they say what happened and why they weren’t able to stop it?â€

“There were six Brothers assigned to Taka-Mar, Excellency. They were impaled on posts placed in the middle of different roads into the city. Each had been skinned from the neck down. A cap of office was left on each man’s head so that all could know who they were.

“The masses of people who fled the city say that the attack came at night. As terrified as they were, we weren’t able to get much useful information from them, other than that the men who attacked them were soldiers of the D’Haran Empire. They were all sure of that much. Every one of these people has lost their home.

“The attackers made no move to slaughter the escaping refugees if they offered no armed resistance, but they made it quite clear to the fleeing people that they intended to lay waste to all of the Old World and anyone who supports the Imperial Order.

“The soldiers told the people that it is the Order and their beliefs that has brought this strife upon them, and who will bring them and their land to ruin. The soldiers vowed that they would haunt the people of the Old World into their graves and then into the darkest corners of the underworld if they did not give up the teaching of the Order and their belligerent ways that flowed from those teachings.â€

Kahlan only realized that she was smiling when Jagang rounded on her and backhanded her hard enough to knock her from her feet. She knew that he was going to beat her bloody that night.

She didn’t care. It was worth it to hear what she had just heard. She couldn’t stop smiling.

<a couple chapters later another messenger arrives>

“What word do you bring from our homeland?â€

The man hesitated. “Excellency, I am afraid that I must report some unsettling news. As the next supply train that was to follow after ours was assembling down in the Old World, it was set upon and destroyed. All the recruits who were to be sent north with the train to reinforce our army…well, I’m afraid, Excellency, that they were all killed. Their heads were left on stakes beside the road. The line of stakes stretched from one town to the next – both towns burned to the ground. A number of cities, along with forests and croplands, are burning. The fires are intense and, when the wind is right, we can smell the smoke even this far north. It is difficult to pin down exactly what is going on, except that the attacks are all reliably reported to be New World soldiers.â€

<snip>

“The reports are, Excellency, that these marauders are destroying everything in their path. They burn crops, kill livestock, destroy mills, break dams, ruin every sort of craft producing goods for our noble effort to spread the word of the Order.

“Particularly hard hit are those who give support to our people by teaching them the ways of the Order – those who instill the need to sacrifice for our effort to crush the heathens to the north.â€

Jagang was remaining calm on the outside, but Kahlan, as well as the officers watching him, knew that inside he was boiling with rage.

“Any idea who is going after our teachers, our leaders? Any particular unit of the enemy?â€

The man bowed another apology. “Excellency, I regret to report that all of our teachers and the Brothers who have been murdered trying to teach the ways of the Creator and the Order, well…every one of their corpses was found to be missing a right ear.â€

~Terry Goodkind, Phantom

Hooray! The ear harvest has begun. And skinning people? Fantastic! I'm having moral celery for lunch!

Richard's troops again show their great moral clarity - loose in an enemy country with no means of support or lines of supply... and they burn the crops! Fantastic!

Archived