Wise Man's Fear X (SPOILERS)

Elaena Targaryen

it's been awhile since I read the books but I have a different recollection than you. Kvothe puts the vomit drug in the stew based on, as you put it, "the fact that he thought they were impersonating another group of people."

But he hasn't taken any conclusive steps or passed the point of no return for killing all of them. That is a really important point and you are just ignoring it (or I am misremembering). He doesn't actually kill any of them until he has the evidence of the kidnapped girls.

You are correct in the chronology of the events that took place. What you are missing is that drugging the stew was the first step in his plan to kill everyone. Whatever he discovered after he did this does not matter as he has already acted with murderous intent. He knew that he was going to kill those people the moment he realized that they were not Edema Ruh.

I think it's been pretty well established that Kvothe ain't firing on all six.

Why would Rothfuss devote so much time in establishing the whole concept of "the greater good" and how it can be perverted into your own personal revenge modus.

You are correct in the chronology of the events that took place. What you are missing is that drugging the stew was the first step in his plan to kill everyone. Whatever he discovered after he did this does not matter as he has already acted with murderous intent. He knew that he was going to kill those people the moment he realized that they were not Edema Ruh.

In that case I can't conclude he was going to kill them vs just weaken them and interrogate them to make a determination about whether to kill them. Which I am not condoning by the way, it's just not the same thing morally as pre-committing to murder them at the moment he put the vomit drug in the soup.

In that case I can't conclude he was going to kill them vs just weaken them and interrogate them to make a determination about whether to kill them. Which I am not condoning by the way, it's just not the same thing morally as pre-committing to murder them at the moment he put the vomit drug in the soup.

Yes, Kvothe could have been poisoning them so that they would all pass out so he could decorate their camp and they would have all woken up to glitter and paper mache rainbows, with bunnies and puppies running around as well. Having him poisoning people so he could talk to them only makes a little more sense as wouldn't these people have kind of a negative response after getting over the effects of being poisoned? 

Since we do not see anything in the narrative about him changing his mind about what he was going to do when the new evidence was introduced, we have to assume that the plan was the one that he actually implemented which was killing all of the group. 

Why poison the false Ruh if he wasn't going to cut loose on them?

Unjon is saying that Kvothe might have just interrogated a group of people incapacitated by fits of vomiting, and that could have been his original plan. I personally find no support for this theory, and wouldn't choose to make people puke uncontrollably before starting a conversation, but this is the theory that he is proposing.   

Unjon is saying that Kvothe might have just interrogated a group of people incapacitated by fits of vomiting, and that could have been his original plan. I personally find no support for this theory, and wouldn't choose to make people puke uncontrollably before starting a conversation, but this is the theory that he is proposing.   

yes correct. I'm not sure I buy it either, but it's the theory I have seen others defend in these threads and I think it is consistent with the scene as written.

To spell it out, Kvothe sees a group impersonating the Ruh and he has evidence that they are in possession of real Ruh wagons (from the marks on wagons) and some real Ruh knowledge. Kvothe fears that bandits killed a troupe of Ruh and are now pillaging their way across the land. He needs to know if this is true, and if they are Ruh killers and bandits, he execute them for crimes against Ruh.

So he needs to question them. But he is outnumbered and will be in danger if they realize he's out to question/execute them. So he decides to incapacitate them with his herbs. After he has put the herbs in the stew, he is made aware of the kidnapped and raped women. He therefore had no need to interrogate anyone as he has established the bandits guilt to his own satisfaction.

• 1 month later...
About 3/4 the way through The Name of the Wind, and I am really enjoying this. Very interesting and I love how Kvothe is telling this story, and I hope he's a reliable narrator.... I doubt that though. Will continue to post my thoughts and any questions that may arise.

Oh, I had no idea Deena was gonna be his woman. Thought it had to be someone else.

Archived