The enigma of Hoster Tully, what's your take?

Why a man old enough to be her grandfather was better than someone else? Because of how rich he was?

Are you seriously asking this question?

Yes, because he was rich. Because he had high social status, which passed to her as his wife. Because he was the second most powerful man in the kingdoms - which made her, in a way, the second most powerful woman after the Queen.

And not for nothing, but marrying Jon Arryn also allowed her to be close to Littlefinger, which is the only thing she wanted in life - an opportunity she wouldn't have had if she had married some Ryger or Grell.

You mean like Tywin allowed Gerion to do whatever he wanted? Tywin killed a family but Hoster killed a village. Why a highborn family worths more than a smallfolks' village?

Agai, your opinion.

No, it's not. That's like saying Obama is a better person than Stalin...That's a fact, not an opinion.

Are you seriously asking this question?

Yes, because he was rich. Because he had high social status, which passed to her as his wife. Because he was the second most powerful man in the kingdoms - which made her, in a way, the second most powerful woman after the Queen.

And not for nothing, but marrying Jon Arryn also allowed her to be close to Littlefinger, which is the only thing she wanted in life - an opportunity she wouldn't have had if she had married some Ryger or Grell.

So someone's worth is based on his money and his status? I thought that people used to think like that back in the '60s. She could had also married LF.

No, it's not. That's like saying Obama is a better person than Stalin...That's a fact, not an opinion.

I don't know about Obama so I cannot comment on this. But the fact that Tywin was a monster doesn't mean that Hoster wasn't one too.

So someone's worth is based on his money and his status? I thought that people used to think like that back in the '60s. She could had also married LF.

In ASOIAF, yes. People's worth is based on money and status.

In ASOIAF, she couldn't marry LF, unless they eloped. But LF had no interest on her.

You do realize we're talking about a medieval society, right?

Jon Arryn was a good man. Just because Lysa was so obsessed with Petyr that she never found it in herself to love (or even come to better know) her husband doesn't mean that he treated her badly.

And what makes you think Littlefinger wanted Lysa?

In ASOIAF, yes. People's worth is based on money and status.

In ASOIAF, she couldn't marry LF, unless they eloped. But LF had no interest on her.

Hoster could had made LF to marry her.

You do realize we're talking about a medieval society, right?

Jon Arryn was a good man. Just because Lysa was so obsessed with Petyr that she never found it in herself to love (or even come to better know) her husband doesn't mean that he treated her badly.

And what makes you think Littlefinger wanted Lysa?

JArryn was a polite man that is what we know of him as a husban. But that is not the point. The point is that Hoster made Lysa to abort the child and this is one of those things that make him a monster.

I don't know about Obama so I cannot comment on this. But the fact that Tywin was a monster doesn't mean that Hoster wasn't one too.

I know you'll say this is my opinion, which is fine :). But there is a huge difference between a monster and hard man...

I know you'll say this is my opinion, which is fine :). But there is a huge difference between a monster and hard man...

Killing a village because their lord disobeyed you and making your daughter to abort her child is being a moster not just a hard man.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d3d06628657c25449df5fefca24c02f2/tumblr_mx0crpO8Jv1rlylr1o3_250.gif

So, he can't make her daughter abort a child but he can make a man who doesn't love her and probably didn't even knew he had conceived such child marry her just because Lysa wanted him too?

Ok.

Which would've actually made her life even more miserable. Being denied LF at least gave her the fantasy of the mutual love between her and Petyr. But I digress.

The point is that Hoster made Lysa to abort the child and this is one of those things that make him a monster.

No, it is one of the things that make him a grey character - like every other major noble in the story.

Which would've actually made her life even more miserable. Being denied LF at least gave her the fantasy of the mutual love between her and Petyr. But I digress.

No, it is one of the things that make him a grey character - like every other major noble in the story.

Yes, and yes!!!!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d3d06628657c25449df5fefca24c02f2/tumblr_mx0crpO8Jv1rlylr1o3_250.gif

So, he can't make her daughter abort a child but he can make a man who doesn't love her and probably didn't even knew he had conceived such child marry her just because Lysa wanted him too?

Ok.

So making Lysa marry a man that she didn't wanted is better?

That is your opinion

That is correct, but you cannot say someone that his/her opinion is wrong because you disagree with him/her.

I am calling it :bs:

So Tywin is a grey character and not a moster right? Hoster being a monster is him being grey and Tywin being a moster is a monster?

Hoster was a better politician than Tywin, and a better father.

Lysa took the benefits of her position and spat on the requirements.

Hoster merely tried to salvage the situation.

Girlish dreams make for sobering realities later in life.

The Goodbrook situation again, is how a lord handles his vassals.

You think Robb wouldn't have killed innocent Umber men if he took his men home like he threatened?

Archived