Moody Murder Mysteries

Datepalm

This thread is right up my alley!  Netflix seems to be full of these types of moody, atmospheric murder mysteries and I have slowly been working my way through some of them and I have many more on my list.  A couple that I enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned yet (if I missed them, I apologize) are Luther and River.  

The Last Panthers. Multi-national and language. Contemporary, post the breakup of Yugoslavia.  Billed as Europe's The Wire.

Peaky Blinders!  Birmingham, post WWI era. Shooting for season 4 is rumored to start in March 2017.

Rebus! Edinburgh.  Adapted from Ian Rankin's crime series. Vaguely present day.

Vera! Yorkshire. Vaguely present day. The television series is splendid, also based on a book series, whose author, Ann Cleeves,has another series, Shetland, which have also been adapted for television.  However, in mine own opinion, Vera Stanhope as protagonist - detective is a lot more interested than Jimmy Perez, the protag - detective in the Shetland novels.  It may be different on sceen -- I haven't yet see the Shetland's television adaptations, but should soon, since the dvds have shown up on Netflix as available.

Single-Handed, set in western Ireland, was wonderful.  I wish there had been more.

The Brokenwood Mysteries has been billed as Midsomer Murders in New Zealand.  Mileage may vary.

Murdoch Mysteries. Gaslight and then early electric Toronto era, i.e. pre- WWI, when boosterism and optimism of all sorts in the ideas of progress were rife and cut across class and professional lines. Also based on a book series.  Very sharp writing and plotting -- it's been going for 10 seasons.

Homicide: Life on the Streets. 8 seasons I think.  Pre- 9/11. David Simon learned everything he needed to learn for The Wire from this Baltimore series run by Barry Levinson, initially based on Simon's writing.

Ooo -- one more.  How could I forget Death in Paradise! Fictional island of English Saint Marie (really French Guadeloupe).  The first three seasons are the best, but it's always a visual delight, particularly today, as the temps are below freezing and the wind chill makes its even colder, as I'm in the middle of season 5. Generally light-hearted. It's even more a pleasure since I've spent time on Guadeloupe, and am familiar with this loose anglo-french Caribbean consortium of islands and their variety.  But truly NOT necessary in the least to enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I need to catch up with Endeavour then! I've watched a lot of Morse, and probably more Lewis, not in any ordered fashion but just happening across it late at night when flicking through channels. 

My guilty pleasure is definitely Poirot. I think anyone who likes period dramas would enjoy it. There are always people you recognize in the different episodes. I've got an episode of Miss Marples on atm and it has Joan Collins, Brendan Gleeson and Alexi Sayle in it. It's not moody in terms of setting but they are generally set in stately homes or swanky homes in London or other cities so I enjoy the costumes and make up and so on.

Agree with whoever mentioned Luther, dark in tone and palette.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I missed it first time around.  I really enjoyed True Detective S1, Fargo, Broadchurch, Sherlock, Whitechapel, and a few others lately, plus occasionally enjoy but don't love Longmire, Wallander, Vera, etc.  I generally prefer stories over multiple episodes rather than a neat mystery per episode. 

Fortitude was pretty good (Amazon Prime) if people want to try that too.  A bit chilling at times but a good complex story with a few subplots. 

I'll go back and try some of the recs from this thread.  

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Endeavour series 4 returns to ITV at 8pm tonight in the UK

Not an Endeavor fan, though I do love Roger Allam, who plays DI Thursday, and his character too.  But Endeaavour himself just makes want to slit my wrists, or, preferably his, and put him out of his misery.

The descriptions of the first season 4 ep though -- they come through as if this one is particularly dreary and dismal.  Sigh.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Fortitude was pretty good (Amazon Prime) if people want to try that too.  A bit chilling at times but a good complex story with a few subplots.

Season 2 of Fortitude starts here later this month, although I'm still not sure whether I think that's a good idea - I liked the first season but it felt like it resolved the plot fairly well.

This will look like a bit of a BBC promo but they've had some of my favourite murder mystery style shows over the last 12  months.

Season 1 and 2 of "the missing". There is a detective in both seasons but season 1 also has the additional angle of a parent doing some private investigating. It doesn't necessarily deal with a murder as the mystery in both seasons is whether the missing person is still alive or dead.

Just aired on BBC is "Rillington Place" - again it's not really a murder mystery but the atmosphere is definitely moody. The first two episodes are an excellent example of how not showing murder can be far more disturbing than graphic scenes. In fact, the final episode is a bit of a let down because they start to show the murders. Still, pretty chilling as it's based on a real serial killer. Tim Roth is amazing and worryingly disappers into the role.

There's murder and mystery (but not necessarily at the same time) in "the line of duty" seasons 1-3. Each season deals with a 6-8 part story and while they can be watched alone there is an over-reaching arc across seasons.

An old one but worth checking if it's on amazon/netflix is "the shadow line". An all star cast and from what I recall it is a murder mystery from the POV of the police and a crime family. It has a strong neo-noir style and convinced me to keep an eye out for other works by Hugo Blick. Overdue another one as two years since "the honourable woman" aired.

This might not be considered "moody" but Veronica Mars has an excellent murder mystery investigated by a teenage girl. Sounds awful but it was probably the closest thing to Buffy in terms of high school drama I've encountered. But it has a great mystery and there are some very dark aspects to it (if moody is a key element to recs).

All of the above (with the exception of "Rillington Place") I'd thoroughly recommend.

10 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Season 2 of Fortitude starts here later this month, although I'm still not sure whether I think that's a good idea - I liked the first season but it felt like it resolved the plot fairly well.

I hope the 2 year gap means they've come up with a decent story. I get the feeling it can't really be a murder mystery any more and instead has to morph into something dealing with the revelations in the final season.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Not an Endeavor fan, though I do love Roger Allam, who plays DI Thursday, and his character too.  But Endeaavour himself just makes want to slit my wrists, or, preferably his, and put him out of his misery.

The descriptions of the first season 4 ep though -- they come through as if this one is particularly dreary and dismal.  Sigh.

Endeavour is fuck awesome.

Fortitude didn't seem amenable to a second season but I'll try it out. 

I dropped The Honourable Woman after the fifth or sixth episode.  The grim tone far exceeded any mystery or suspense, and the story relied on characters acting stupidly or feeling forced to do things that weren't really forced at all. 

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I hope the 2 year gap means they've come up with a decent story. I get the feeling it can't really be a murder mystery any more and instead has to morph into something dealing with the revelations in the final season.

We will watch it but I don't have super high hopes for it. But, who knows, it might surprise us.

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Fortitude didn't seem amenable to a second season but I'll try it out. 

I dropped The Honourable Woman after the fifth or sixth episode.  The grim tone far exceeded any mystery or suspense, and the story relied on characters acting stupidly or feeling forced to do things that weren't really forced at all. 

Sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that one as a rec in this thread. It's more a political thriller - I just metioned it as I liked "Shadow line". FWIW I still enjoyed "honourable woman" but nowhere near as much as "shadow line". I discovered Blick has a new miniseries out later this year about the hague/events in Africa. Not a murder mystery though.

28 minutes ago, Isis said:

We will watch it but I don't have super high hopes for it. But, who knows, it might surprise us.

Like you say, expectations are low but worth giving it an episode to see what they might try and do. Like I said, I think the only option is to drop the murder mystery and focus on the revelations

make it more into a parasite apocalypse show

but that's a massive gamble,

2 hours ago, red snow said:
  Hide contents

make it more into a parasite apocalypse show

but that's a massive gamble,

I would LOVE for there to be a parasite TV show. A good one. Not just like Monsters Inside Me, which is super hammy, but supposedly a documentary.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Hide contents

I would LOVE for there to be a parasite TV show. A good one. Not just like Monsters Inside Me, which is super hammy, but supposedly a documentary.

I think that crappy vampire show on FX sort of fits your requirements but it is terrible and the science dubious.

11 hours ago, Isis said:

Hide contents

Ugh.  So dreary because we've been there and done that a million times!  :lmao:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived