[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

You hear the crows right before Ghost rips Rast's face off? This confuses me quite a bit. Presumably Bran let Ghost out of the cage, but he did say in his dialogue "we have to free Summer" and nothing about Ghost. And of course the actor playing Sam said Coldhands is cut, and I would think if he was ever going to show up this episode would have been the time. So, I don't think it was him.

So then what are they trying to insinuate with that? I mean so far in the series they've used the sound of crows to symbolize a White Walker is near. Does this mean one of them released Ghost or what? Or is Ghost himself one of them (which unless that's coming in the final 2 books, would be quite a story change). It's obvious it was there for a reason. I mean they added the sound of it in the editing process. So it was not a mistake and absolutely meant something. But with no Coldhands...I don't know what it could possibly be.

So then what are they trying to insinuate with that? I mean so far in the series they've used the sound of crows to symbolize a White Walker is near. Does this mean one of them released Ghost or what?

Bran saw Ghost when he warged Summer just before they were caught. I don't think he would just release Summer and abandon Ghost.

Edited by NightStark

Bran saw Ghost when he warged Summer just before they were caught. I don't think he would just release Summer and abandon Ghost.

:agree:

i have three theories...

1) Hodor likely released him as well while they were escaping and the crows were just a coincidence, they could be afraid of Ghost being a direwolf and all

2) Hodor released him and the crows signifying that WW's are close by and Jon & Co. about to be attacked

3) CH released him and crows were cawing because he was near, Ghost recognizes his scent as a Stark is cool with him, hates Rast more so goes after his ass

:dunno:

This bothered me too.

I posted (i think, unless the forum ate my post again) that the Bloody Gate appears to be in.the position of the Gates of the Moon from.the books, rather than as an entrance to the Vale

Yea I agree with you. My impression was that he outfought Gregor and could have finished him off if it wasn't for his desire to draw a confession out of him. I believe GRRM wanted everyone to be thinking holy crap Oberyn is really kicking Gregor's ass, he's going to beat him and Tyrion is going to get off, then bam everything goes to shit. He had the perfect strategy to take down a huge guy in heavy plate. He even had him pinned on the ground, but he needed that confession so bad that it ended up backfiring on him. The other thing is he knew Gregor was dead regardless, considering he poisoned the spear. So at that point all he cared about was a confession. It's really too bad, but arguably the most epic scene in the series IMO.

Oberyn kind of screwed himself over twice, in fact. First by altering the poison to kill more slowly (as noted by Qyburn), and second by getting too close during the actual combat.

I know everyone is upset about Cersei's "whitewashing" this episode but I don't understand how anyone wouldn't get that she is doing it to bring the judges to her side. I mean the way she says that Tommen needs someone makes clearly is hurting her inside to say it! You can see it in her facial expressions and btw very well played by Lena Headey! I think she was brilliant today

I am re watching now and something bothered me. Barristan said: "They've been fighting Joffrey's wars for years". Really? Years? I always thought the events from aGoT to a DwD didn't take more than a year, two at most. How is it that Joffrey's war lasted for years? I mean if 5 years f.ex. had passed I think they would have aged especially the children. Anyone has any ideas regarding that?

Nice off pg tie up from last week at Craster's...liked fight scene (with exception of course for Karl forgetting about fight with Jon to turn attn. to Craster's daughter, little heroine that she was) badass image of Longclaw(?) extending through Karl's mouth. What a great villian, and didn't we just love hating him?

Loved the bit of forecasting for Bran's arc showing the Weirwood. Future scenes need to show Meera's badassery, in this ep. she was like Dudley Dooright's Nell, come on already, she's an archer, Crannogwoman for Chris'sake. She's Jojen's protection, show some of that please.

Was expecting CH (I know just wishful thinking) when Ravens were gathering, must have been BR. Liked that Rast taken out by Ghost. Will he be wighted, since he was the only one not burned?

Coronation sequence nicely done, is Cersei being niced up for a fall in season 5? Liked that Myrcella & Sand Snakes mentioned, perhaps an introduction of characters for next season? Liking NewDaario since he's finally being portrayed as the character we are more familiar with. Loved his "I heard you like ships" line.

Show stealer definately crazy Lysa, will we see a snow castle soon? Odd that Alayne is Petyr's neice. Since he married Lysa Sansa is his neice by marriage...is this a good cover story since all of Westeros is looking for her? Generally enjoy Arya & Hound scenes, this one was not the most well written but moving their journey along I suppose.

For all the scenes off page I did enjoy it and as always, await with baited breath for Sundays! lol

I am re watching now and something bothered me. Barristan said: "They've been fighting Joffrey's wars for years". Really? Years? I always thought the events from aGoT to a DwD didn't take more than a year, two at most. How is it that Joffrey's war lasted for years? I mean if 5 years f.ex. had passed I think they would have aged especially the children. Anyone has any ideas regarding that?

I always pictured it as being about 2 years for the first two books, an 1.5-2 years for the 3rd. So Joffrey would've rained about 3 years in my opinion. The children did age quite a bit, just look at bran and arya, they changed alot from season 1-4