[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

Everyone I was with loved this episode. Surprisingly, while I found it to be great (in the better half of GoT episodes), they all thought that it was one of the best episodes of the series. There was a huge uproar when they found out that Littlefinger was behind Jon Arryn's death, and the Jon and Bran scene at the end left everyone immensely satisfied. One of them said that he's beginning to like Jon, Bran and Sansa a lot more this season than he ever did before. Also, the Hound and Pod were referred to as "beasts", in a good way.

My hubby is really impressed with Hodor and wants to know what in the world he is. We talked about Osha saying he was part giant.

I had to pause/rewind the Lysa/Littlefinger conversation and explain it a bit. I don't think he's fully grasped it but he's getting there. My Dad was like "What happened to Jon Snow?" He almost got killed. I guess he thought Jon was supposed to be un-killable. heh

When my unsullied brother, who is a hunter btw, saw Pod pull the burning rabbit out of the fire & said, "First you singe the hair off." Then when Pod started stomping out the fire, he said "Then you tenderize it." I cracked up. :-D

I love Pod scenes!

my mom got really confused when Sweet Robin called LF "uncle". She wanted to know if Lysa and LF were brother and sister ............ :dunno: .

Though good that she remembered Lysa and Robin immediately.

Mom also keeps forgetting who Jojen is. Though she remembered Meera. Which is funny cause last season she remembered Jojen but kept forgetting who Meera was.

She finally had enough of Bran and wants to know just what the hell they're looking for up north.

She love'd all of Jon Snows scenes though.

Because I kinda spoiled them and told that Jon Snow is presumably dead in the books, they're always at the edge of their seats whenever Jon is fighting. It was fun watching them scream and cheer for Jon :D
And for obvious reasons, they're kinda disappointed that Bran and Jon didn't even meet.

Big WTF for the Jon Arryn revelation, and I kinda have to explain to them that Lysa is just fucking crazy for LF to do that to her own husband.

They're kinda disappointed how weak Arya is. (Though really, that sword is not really for armored people)

My unsullied boyfriend remembered who Lysa Arryn was, which surprised me ... because he can hardly remember half the main character's names. He was mostly like "Oh fantastic. That crazy bird's back now?"

I feel like the show revealed Lysa and Petyr's role in Jon Arryn's death far too casually, because my boyfriend completely missed the relevance, and I had to pause the episode and explain it to him. Don't know if this was intentional on the show's part so it could be brought up again in front of Sansa later during the Only Cat scene, or if it was just poor execution.

He also caught the significance of the Hound being the last name on Arya's list.

I watch GoT with one of my unsullied friends. He obsesses over the show, rewatches every episode the next day, and recently read the first book. He was amazed by the Jon Arryn revelation, especially considering we were just recently rewatching some episodes from season 1. His favorite scene was Arya and the Hound; I know he'll be so damn disappointed when they separate (although he is convinced that Arya will never get to the Vale). He is actually really great with predictions. He figured out Olenna and Dontos as culprits in Joffrey's murder (although not LF) and can't wait for Oberyn to face the Mountain in "some sort of duel". Last night, upon seeing the preview of the trial, he said that the trial will go south for Tyrion before Jaime frees him. He is also convinced that Bran will meet the children of the forest at the end of the season.

My flatmate didn't remember the Jon Arryn bussiness and I had to pause the episode and explain it to her, as with most of your Unsullied. He thinks Tommen is cute and feels for Podrick Payne: she wishes Brienne was nicer to him. For some reason, he dislikes Pycelle very much, and says so every time he's on screen.

Husband didn't understand why Myrcella was sent to Dorne -- I had to reminder him it was to protect her during Stannis' attack on Kings Landing and to solidify alliances with Dorne. Earlier in the season, he had completely forgot that Joff had siblings.

He also couldn't figure out what was up with Cersei, especially her being so nice Oberyn ("that Spanish guy") until he realized that he would be deciding Tyrion's fate.

He was also confused by Jojen's vision. "Why was his hand on fire?"

Wants to see more of Dany (she's easy on the eyes) and the Hound (because he is also Scottish)

I don't know. I stopped watching with my friend after the episode where dany launches the barrels of chains into mereen.

"Man I bet those guys are shitting their pants, dragon lady is going to enslave them all, look at those collars.".....

It takes too much time to explain things to him.

My husband caught the Jon Arryn scene right away. Said that he feels like this episode was really "about the Game" which he liked. The littlefinger reveal combined with Cersei's attempted manipulation plus the fleshing out of all the ulterior motives is entertaining for him to watch.

Remembered Lysa right away, it's amazing what inappropriately breastfeeding a 9 year old will do to make a character memorable.

When my unsullied brother, who is a hunter btw, saw Pod pull the burning rabbit out of the fire & said, "First you singe the hair off." Then when Pod started stomping out the fire, he said "Then you tenderize it." I cracked up. :-D

Damn you, Dolorous Lothston, I just spat my orange juice all over my keyboard! That's hilarious! :lmao:

Mom also keeps forgetting who Jojen is. Though she remembered Meera. Which is funny cause last season she remembered Jojen but kept forgetting who Meera was.

Maybe next season she'll finally remember both of them. You know... just in time for that one possible scene.

BTW: What were all the Unsullied's reactions to Dany deciding to stay in Essos? I can't imagine that that went over well with show watchers...

My unsullied wife was shocked at the Jon Arryn reveal and did not need any explanation, which gave me great pleasure. Think the show did a good job bringing his name up once in awhile in conversations over the past 3 seasons, where I made it a point to subtlety reminded her who he was to ensure this moment wasn't lost in confusion. She also was on the edge of her seat hoping Bran would get Jon's attention and was disappointed they didn't meet up.

Archived