[Book Spoilers] The Jon Arryn Reveal.

shiola

Not a fan, honestly. I had this very vivid image of how that whole part went down in the books, with Lysa getting more and more histerical, spilling more and more secrets, with the music getting louder and louder (kinda like the part in The Dark Knight when Harvey Dent is pointing a gun at Gordon and Batman)

Eh, I don't know, at least they offered something plot-important in an otherwise uneventful episode, so I guess that's fine

Yes and yes and yes. This. Times 1 million. I've 'seen' this scene so many times in my head that I can do an impromptu rendition of it if you asked me too. I get the feeling, though, that it's not going to go down the same way in the show and I'm quietly bracing myself for the massive heartache. Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised and it'll be...BETTER...somehow. Wishful thinking I know, but well, that's all I have at this point. :dunno:

Side note: Will they make them kiss on the show?

i think episode 7 (or at least i hope) will have some stuff about lf being the lord. the lords of the vale that were cast are going to have something to say about that. it will be the start of the lords declarent.

the snow castle (or their substitute) might also be in ep 7, but i think only cat will be in ep 8 or 10, most likely 10

I think they really need to do a "what happened on the last episode" before each episode. It would have been good to remind viewers of the scene where Catelyn receives the letter about Jon Arryn's death, its been 4 years since season 1 and people that don't re-watch shows may have forgotten.

I think they needed SOMETHING to be in this episode (because it was relatively vacant). They added in a major story item in an episode that was very sparse on stuff we did not already know. Arya is sick of the Hound, Jon and Bran are not together, Cersei misses Marcella and Tommen and Margery are going to be wed- we knew all this [to a degree] before. They really needed SOMETHING to seem important in this episode, and in this episode, Lysa Aryn admitted to murdering her husband, the first of the dominoes.

And, I understand why else they did it this week.

If they waited until Lysa was slain, it would be at the very end of the season (possibly the very last episode) and there is a chance that a gigantic plot piece would have been glossed over in the final scenes of the final episode for ... 42 weeks. Its possible that such a large item could be washed away by the other shocks in the scene.

Even if they do a "Previously on GoT" at the start of episode \9 or 10, Lysa's death will almost assuredly be at the very END of the episode, and ts possible people would not remember it nor care.

Frankly, I thought it was fine,

I think they really need to do a "what happened on the last episode" before each episode. It would have been good to remind viewers of the scene where Catelyn receives the letter about Jon Arryn's death, its been 4 years since season 1 and people that don't re-watch shows may have forgotten.

They do have "previously on" segments that run before the opening theme song/credits that serve to prime the audience for certain plot elements/characters being re-introduced and tonight they did indeed show Ned/Cat/Luwin getting the letter from Lysa. At least, they do here in the U.S.

I assumed every audience got them but apparently not?

Maybe people streaming them literally only get the episode and don't get the "previously on" before and the "next week on" after?

It's really too bad if these are missing, they are as useful as you'd expect (even at the cost of kinda giving away what's coming, at least for a book reader who sorta knows to expect)

Honestly, this is a reveal that is not possible without clunky exposition, however and whenever you do it. It works and overcomes the unreality of it because it's so shocking when you first find out and realize Littlefinger has been playing the ultimate long game and is the man behind the curtain, not because it's actually a good scene, in either the book or the show. It obviously can't pack that same punch when you already know the truth.

They do have "previously on" segments that run before the opening theme song/credits that serve to prime the audience for certain plot elements/characters being re-introduced and tonight they did indeed show Ned/Cat/Luwin getting the letter from Lysa. At least, they do here in the U.S.

I assumed every audience got them but apparently not?

Maybe people streaming them literally only get the episode and don't get the "previously on" before and the "next week on" after?

It's really too bad if these are missing, they are as useful as you'd expect (even at the cost of kinda giving away what's coming, at least for a book reader who sorta knows to expect)

Yea I'm pretty sure if you stream it on hbo go it doesn't include the previously on. Not sure why as they are useful, especially to unsullied.

I liked it. I thought the reveal in the book--done through a long villain expository monologue as clunky as anything you'd find in the cheesiest James Bond movies--was horribly executed. This isn't a huge improvement, but at least it gets that revelation out of the way so that the tension and the momentum in the Moon Door scene won't be deflated by Lysa giving a long speech where she explains exactly at great length what her deal is. Ditto for the scene with Sansa where Lysa shows just how crazy and jealous she can be.

I agree, it was short and simple on tv and better for it.

I cant wait to see Lysa die.

I highly doubt they will kiss, because Sophie was still 17 at the time of filming. Maybe a kiss on the cheek

Before the season started I was CONVINCED that they HAD to make them kiss. Otherwise, how would Lysa get jealous and be provoked enough to throw Sansa out of the Moon Door? Watching these latest developments though, I don't think they'll do it. I think her jealousy has been firmly established already and all she has to do is HEAR Petyr telling Sansa something to the effect that he "wants" her, or is in love with her, and that'll be enough.

I highly doubt they will kiss, because Sophie was still 17 at the time of filming. Maybe a kiss on the cheek?

I really don't get why people are so convinced they aren't going to kiss. Did you miss the gang-rape scene they filmed with Sophie in season 2? There's nothing unusual about 17-year-olds kissing much older actors in TV/film.

Archived