(Book spoilers) So the Lannister gold has dried up?

Mr Smith

Please accept my bitter tears of anguish at this fan fiction.

I shall not sleep for weeks, if ever again at all.

No gold? This is character assassination. D&D knew how people would feel about this and did it anyway. This is worse than Syrio having hair. Remember that? Now those peasant unsullied think he has hair. Disgusting. Pathetic drooling tv watchers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember nothing in the book that suggests the mines under Casterly Rock were running dry. Probably not a terrible change to make, and a nice metaphor for the eventual disintegration of Lannister power, but a radical change none the less. They're getting bold.

In other news, I'm glad they're emphasising the importance of the Iron Bank.

Thoughts?

So? Even if that's never in the books, this is not the book.

This thing is really priceless, guys. It should enable pretty much anyone to see that the TV show is pretty much nothing but glorified (bad) fan fiction. It's not an adaptation anymore, it's loosely based on/inspired by the works of GRRM, and should be treated as such. I for one are done with comparing this thing to the actual books.

I'm even surprised now if stuff from the books is brought up unexpectedly - like Sunspear, the Water Gardens, or Oberyn's daughters. I don't expect stuff like that in this thing anymore.

LOL, I don't know what it is anymore...unless the future books reveal that Tywin has been manipulating the remaining supply to fool everyone including his own family....then this change will be utter and complete BS.

LOL, I don't know what it is anymore...unless the future books reveal that Tywin has been manipulating the remaining supply to fool everyone including his own family....then this change will be utter and complete BS.

Yeah, I heard that this change FORCES GRRM to also make them broke in the books. Because you know, they are both the exact same thing. If something is used as a plot device in one, it HAS to be a plot device in the other. I mean, both outlets this story is being told ARE exactly the same after all so there shouldn't be ANY deviations at all....

Stupid D&D.

Yeah, right, the Lannister mines will dry up in TWoW, and then they are done ... because they can't afford to pay the snow trucks that are supposed to clear the streets of Westeros.

That thing is so obviously an invention by D&D to make their version of the Iron Bank story work. And it's completely pointless. Just as their 'Bran will seek shelter at Craster's'-idea or their 'Mance does not know anything of the true strength of the NW'-stupidity are completely pointless. They could have Alliser/Slynt sent Jon to Craster's on a suicide mission without any of this crap. It was not necessary, but it severely hurt the illusion that these characters were actually real people with brains. Now their are just stupid.

I guess I don't see how this change helps the TV show...it will make Cersei turning on the Tyrells suicidally insane...whereas in the book, it's extremely stupid to alienate them, but I don't think book Cersei would trash the alliance if she knew her family was really broke.

Yeah, right, the Lannister mines will dry up in TWoW, and then they are done ... because they can't afford to pay the snow trucks that are supposed to clear the streets of Westeros.

That thing is so obviously an invention by D&D to make their version of the Iron Bank story work. And it's completely pointless. Just as their 'Bran will seek shelter at Craster's'-idea or their 'Mance does not know anything of the true strength of the NW'-stupidity are completely pointless. They could have Alliser/Slynt sent Jon to Craster's on a suicide mission without any of this crap. It was not necessary, but it severely hurt the illusion that these characters were actually real people with brains. Now their are just stupid.

I know right? They should have just had a whole episode of exposition explaining things like the iron bank. I mean, that is how the BOOKS do it. Why can't the show? D&D are simply poor writers.

Why do people talk as if the books are leagues better than the show? The books have PLENTY of flaws.

POV's that get waaay too many chapters (Im looking at you Brienne...and Asha....and Danaerys....and Tyrion and oh you get the point). Storylines that go on too long (when the hell is Dany going to Westeros? When is Robin gonna frickin die?). Prose is good but used overly much.

For gods sake, some people here make me ashamed to be a fan of the books. Can't you appreciate both as separate entities?

Why do people talk as if the books are leagues better than the show? The books have PLENTY of flaws.

POV's that get waaay too many chapters (Im looking at you Brienne...and Asha....and Danaerys....and Tyrion and oh you get the point). Storylines that go on too long (when the hell is Dany going to Westeros? When is Robin gonna frickin die?). Prose is good but used overly much.

For gods sake, some people here make me ashamed to be a fan of the books. Can't you appreciate both as separate entities?

No... some people absolutely can not. Have you ever read the nitpick threads?

Did it ever even say that they were completely broke? Just because the mines are dry, doesn't mean that they don't have gold.

You're right; I'm sure they have savings...they're not stupid. Also, Kevan seemed to think they weren't broke:

“The magisters of Pentos have been known to lend money as well,” said Ser Kevan. “Try them.” The Pentoshi were even less like to be of help than the Myrish money changers, but the effort must be made. Unless a new source of coin could be found, or the Iron Bank persuaded to relent, he would have no choice but to pay the crown’s debts with Lannister gold. He dare not resort to new taxes, not with the Seven Kingdoms crawling with rebellion. Half the lords in the realm could not tell taxation from tyranny, and would bolt to the nearest usurper in a heartbeat if it would save them a clipped copper. “If that fails, you may well need to go to Braavos, to treat with the Iron Bank yourself.”

I liked Brienne's chapters...

I liked Brienne's chapters...

In the beginning so did I, but at a certain point "I am looking for a girl 3 and 10" or whatever got annoying. I liked Cersei's chapters too, but it went on too long.

Yes Brienne is loyal to a fault and it's exhausting keeping those vows, yes Cersei is a terrible ruler, paranoid and poisonous, WE GET IT. You can't honestly tell me the books needed THAT many chapters to get the point across.

We all need to appreciate the amazingly awesome absurdity of this situation.

"So, you say you are the rightful King of Westeros, that is fine, Ser, but we will still need at least 2 of your latest payslips".

Archived