[Book Spoilers] Missing Character

I got suddenly VERY excited at the end of the episode when Rast was running away through the forest and we hear ravens, I was convinced we were going to see Coldhands then, and it would have been a cool introduction. But no :-(

We're not getting him...John Bradley said this last season. BR's been cast, so we know Bran's getting to the tree this season (they wouldn't have cast him just so he could say "North" in Bran's visions). There just isn't time to introduce CH without it feeling really off. It's a shame; he would have been cool to see on screen, but obviously his existence doesn't affect the end game too much.

We're not getting him...John Bradley said this last season. BR's been cast, so we know Bran's getting to the tree this season (they wouldn't have cast him just so he could say "North" in Bran's visions). There just isn't time to introduce CH without it feeling really off. It's a shame; he would have been cool to see on screen, but obviously his existence doesn't affect the end game too much.

That is a shame, was looking forward to his introduction. Wonder if we'll ever find out who he really is then?

I would have loved to see him, too. Coldhands might not play a big role besides bringing Bran to BR, but he brought a lot of mystery to the books. ANd I was hoping, that he has a bigger part to play, but if he is cut from the show, I guess, this isn't the case

i think in the books coldhands dies fighting the wights around the great tree. it's not said but he was alone vs a lot of them.

Sucks hes not on the show.. i really wanted to see him on screen.. prob my fav non character, character

WHAT THE FUCK?? are you 100% sure hes being cut completely??

I am SO fucked off right now.

I'd put it at 95%. It's possible Bradley was talking only about CH not being in Sam's arc, but given where we are in the season, I'd be floored if CH popped up. Looks like we'll have to wait for the books to clarify who he is/was (if that's ever explicated).

The only thing that has me clinging to hope is how long the show took to intro Sir Dantos' role...I just want to see Coldhands on screen. I guess GRRM told the show runners he doesn't have a further role in the books...

Ser Dontos was in S2

Better not to even anticipate CH's appearance. (Then if he does show up it'll be all the more exciting)

They've eliminated, for better or worse, all the reasons for his existence. And I imagine the wights outside the cave will be handled by Hodor and Meera, as well as the CotF. But since Bran won't have a lot of material left for next season, and I expect J, M & H to head back to the Wall at some point, maybe they'll have him show up at that point, just for the hitherto-elusive fuck of it. But I doubt it.

He didn't really approach Sansa about leaving until this season, I believe.

I see what you're saying...they cut the florian/jonquil stuff so Dontos didn't take on his role as Sansa's friend/helper until this season.

I think it's difficult to extrapolate that to CH, because he would literally come out of no where and be around for 2 episodes before Bran gets to the tree. I just don't see his purpose at this point in the story.

Yeah for whatever reason, they decided cutting Coldhands out of the story and adding Locke / Karl and the additional Craster's scenes would be better television material than a mysterious dead guy with black hands who leads everyone to Bloodraven riding on an elk.

I had always hoped we would find out who Coldhands really was from the books as well. I'm doing a re-read of ADWD now and it's occurred to me in this second read of the chapters with him in it that one of the theories I've read here on the forums might have merit. It's entirely possible he was just some dead corpse / wight that Bloodraven was warged into as a way to contact and help Bran get to him is really possible. If that's true though, wouldn't it still have been important enough character development for the powers of Bloodraven to have him appear on the show?

My best guess is they decided it would be too tricky to show onscreen well and if the character has no future use in the books (because it's just a wight controlled by BR) then there was no need to film him at all.

On an island somewhere, smoking cigars with Strong Belwas and laughing at Patchface.

Har!

Well never say never.

Remember when many around here were convinced the Reeds were cut?

Archived