The Details, Details, Details Thread, Part II

Lann_Boys'Girl

she is just getting fat.

I'd say there's at least an equal amount of evidence for pregnancy as there is for weight gain.

Weight gain: She's getting older, and in AFFC she does drink A LOT.

Pregnancy: She's been sleeping around, she found a dead chick in her breakfast egg, she had sex on the alter of the mother.

I wouldn't believe strongly either way if it weren't for the dead chick. If that's not foreshadowing, I don't know what is.

Guest Other-in-law

It looks like I was mistaken about it having anything to do with fools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckold

Cuckolds have sometimes been written as "wearing the horns of a cuckold" or just "wearing the horns". This refers to a tradition claiming that in villages of unknown European location, the community would gather to collectively humiliate a man whose wife gives birth to a child recognizably not his own. According to this legend, a parade was held in which the hapless husband is forced to wear antlers on his head as a symbol of his wife’s infidelity. Whether this did actually happen or not is irrelevant to the phrase, which survived.

The French equivalent of "wearing horns" is "porter des cornes" and is used by Molière to describe someone whose husband has been unfaithful.

• 3 weeks later...

Two details. Apologies if already mentioned - I have read this thread in full but it was a while ago.

1) In Jon's first meeting with Mance Rayder beyond the wall, Mance says two times that "All men must die". He is clearly a faceless man :). Seriously, though, I found it very odd that he said it at all, let alone twice. What's going on there?

2) When Davos returns to Dragonstone after the battle of the Blackwater and his near death experience, Sallhador Saan takes him on board a ship to warm up. Salladhor comments to Davos on the width of the chairs onboard, and says that the ship's owner has a fat arse. He then mentions that the ship is Magister Illyrio's. I missed that in my first few reads. Sallhador stole one of Illyrio's ships!

Guest Other-in-law

When Jaime meets his cousin Daven in aFfC, he asks about his beard. Daven: "I vowed I would not let my hair be cut until my father was avenged. The Young Wolf got to Karstark first, though. Robbed me of my vengeance."

That's an ironic echo of Karstark's own obsession with vengeance, which was ultimately the very reason the young Wolf hacked of Karstark's head. And who was that vengeance intended for? Why, Jaime of course. Fortunately Daven doesn't seem to be about to let his incompetent father's death ruin his life the way Karstark did with his sons, beyond a bit of facial hair. Winter is coming anyway, so it doesn't really hurt him any.

Thinking about that pile of obsidian and whatnot hidden in a ranger's cloak that Ghost found, I found this line from Dolorous Edd in the first chapter at Craster's:

"Do you know the difference between a wildling who's a friend to the Watch and one who's not?" asked the dour squire. "Our enemies leave our bodies for the crows and the wolves. Our friends bury us in secret graves."

Idk, could be something, more likely nothing.

Pregnancy: She's been sleeping around, she found a dead chick in her breakfast egg, she had sex on the alter of the mother.

I wouldn't believe strongly either way if it weren't for the dead chick. If that's not foreshadowing, I don't know what is.

It's possible, but if so I doubt the baby will live. Maggie the Frog seems to be dead on so far and she only predicted 3 children.

It's possible, but if so I doubt the baby will live. Maggie the Frog seems to be dead on so far and she only predicted 3 children.

Perhaps it will end as a miscarriage then, or some violence will be inflicted upon Cercei cutting short her latest creation with her bro.

Or perhaps this possible offspring is related to Maggys prophecy. Prophecy is never cut and dry, and im sure the church has plenty of rope...

I do not think it would be Jamies. She was with others as well. Osney for sure. He refers to once when they were together. They are then together again but this is after she starts noticing that she is fat.

Maybe it is Moonboys?

(Serious crackpot warning)

Maybe the unborn child in Cercei's womb is the valonqhar: Through a rough miscarriage she meets her demise, the child suffocating from the umbilical cord wrapped around its neck and killing Cercei in the process. I know. I know, it's a stretch................

Not in California, Washington and Missouri. I think the education community has learned. If not the student advocates and the ACLU will happily litigate one's right to be a leftie

I realise I'm reaching somewhat back into the past, but this quote prompts me to think that without the right to be left handed I'd be left to be right handed.

Just a few thoughts.

Do we ever hear Ser Gregor Clegane speak, until he kills the Red Viper? We hear him "roar", and we hear about him speaking, we even hear him paraphrased ("Ser said she wasn't worth a silver" etc) but do we hear him talk? I think not, not to add any particular plot point (maybe Gregor and Ghost are soulmates?) but as a great way of adding atmosphere.

The Damphair thing caught me too.

I now see the bit about Arya being found in the spring with Needle frozen in her hand as more metaphorical - the trials of winter and her various schemes of training to survive will mean by spring war is all she knows, her sword will be "frozen" to her hand.

I sort of assumed that Lysa's miscarriages where her aborting all children apart from Petyr's. Although whether this means sweet-robin is Petyr's son, or Lysa just couldn't go through another abortion, or (most likely) Petyr ordered her not to, so she could give Jon Aryn an heir through whom Petyr could rule the vale.

Just a few thoughts.

Do we ever hear Ser Gregor Clegane speak, until he kills the Red Viper? We hear him "roar", and we hear about him speaking, we even hear him paraphrased ("Ser said she wasn't worth a silver" etc) but do we hear him talk? I think not, not to add any particular plot point (maybe Gregor and Ghost are soulmates?) but as a great way of adding atmosphere.

At one point, during a war council, he tells the group what to do if their outriders fail, something about giving their eyes to the next one, so he can see better with 4, and if he messes up too, then the next guy can have 6. I don't know the exact quote, but he does say it.

I sort of assumed that Lysa's miscarriages where her aborting all children apart from Petyr's. Although whether this means sweet-robin is Petyr's son, or Lysa just couldn't go through another abortion, or (most likely) Petyr ordered her not to, so she could give Jon Aryn an heir through whom Petyr could rule the vale.

I like the other explanation, where the abortion on Petyr's kid messed up her workings, so to speak.

Archived