The Good Wife 2: The Good Fight Season 2

Mladen

Yeah, it is kind of a perfect situation, isn't it? All the good guys together in one happy boat - probably a few other friendly faces, like Julius, might follow Diane as well - Canning, David Lee, et all left to claw at each other for the remains of L/G, now without L or G...Who's next season's Big Bad? Castro? Peter?

In law, politics -- any profession, and particularly where professions and politics are together -- there is no shortage of available Bads for fiction. Just like, alas, Real Life!

Many thanks for answering the Kalinda question, especially since answer told me what I wanted to hear. :)

Where is the wine? Surely it's time? It's time over here, that for sure, though, alas, I have to do more work now. But I can pretend.

In law, politics -- any profession, and particularly where professions and politics are together -- there is no shortage of available Bads for fiction. Just like, alas, Real Life!

True. But this is a show with a deep mythology and roster. There are villains out there: But the established ones are toothless or neutered at the moment. Particularly as the villains of the story are dependant on guest stars. But who's out there? Who am I not thinking of? Does Elliot Gould resurface? What about Mrs. Tom Hanks (I think that's who's shown up before). Is it Castro? Canning? It's just a weird dynamic thinking about next season because the first four had Lockhart/Gardner as one side, then the fifth season had Lockhart/Gardner as the other side. Now it's no longer there. Where's the bedrock that is either the shield or the spear?

On the nepotism thing... Perhaps this is when Alicia gets a divorce? But continues using the name Florrick, of course. I don't know if that would eliminate any legal problems, or if there are any, since Peter is in the executive and Alicia would be running for the judiciary... unless I misunderstood something? I really don't know how American law works.

Lady O, there's no fever like board WC fever. :)

Thanks for the rec; I couldn't resist joining in, even though I got one of the countries I knew zero about lol

Thank you Lady Octarina. You are so kind... And I needed today this, since I had clash with particularly nasty "person" who questioned my ability to read.

Don't thank me, I was just saying the truth :cheers:

Do you have a link to that interview you mentioned?

Yeah, it is kind of a perfect situation, isn't it? All the good guys together in one happy boat - probably a few other friendly faces, like Julius, might follow Diane as well - Canning, David Lee, et all left to claw at each other for the remains of L/G, now without L or G...Who's next season's Big Bad? Castro? Peter?

Yeah, probably Canning and David Lee, at least in the first few episodes. And let's not forget Mrs Chumhum.

Don't thank me, I was just saying the truth :cheers:

Do you have a link to that interview you mentioned?

I was so pissed today, that when I read your post, I was genuinely touched. Truth or not, thank you :cheers:

As for the requested link, here it is.

Bring back Wendy Scott Carr!

What about whats-her-name, the lady lawyer everyone was trying to get who ended up going with and then dumping Elsbeth Tassioni? SHe was a character who seemed like she was being set up for more. Maybe she emerges out of the chaos to outmaneuver everyone at the ruins of Lockhart/Gardner and ends up being the guy on the other side of the case from Florrick/Agos all the time.

What about whats-her-name, the lady lawyer everyone was trying to get who ended up going with and then dumping Elsbeth Tassioni? SHe was a character who seemed like she was being set up for more. Maybe she emerges out of the chaos to outmaneuver everyone at the ruins of Lockhart/Gardner and ends up being the guy on the other side of the case from Florrick/Agos all the time.

Okay. Yes. Yes. Makes sense. But could she work with a David Lee or Canning?

In terms of state attorney, it varies state-by-state. In some states the position is an appointment. In others, like presumably Illinois where TGW is located, it's an elective office. This might make it OK legally. But still, it seems iffy politically, because, presumably, she'd have the endorsement of the governor, which the other candidates could make a lot of hay out of, for themselves, and their party too.

The voters were quite astonished when JFK appointed his brother Bobby to inhabit the federal position of Attorney General.

I think this looks more like a perfect situation than it actually is. I doubt that things will be that simple. Canning/Lee team certainly can be the big bad wolf, but overall, I think we are back to "one firm structure" only that everything is changed. LG dissolved and FAL? emerged as one law firm. This is like return to basics, and possibly the procedural nature of the show.

Also apparently, next season:

We will see 2 huge plots, each spanning over the course of 11 episodes, thus we will have first 11 episodes block in autumn/winter, then long pause, and then other block starting and ending in spring. It will be interesting. For the first half, I think Finn will be back in race, I didn't get whether he actually officially drop out of race, or was it just intention and we also see Diane moving in with Florrick/Agos. And for the second, well Peter could always run for President :)

True. But this is a show with a deep mythology and roster. There are villains out there: But the established ones are toothless or neutered at the moment. Particularly as the villains of the story are dependant on guest stars. But who's out there? Who am I not thinking of? Does Elliot Gould resurface? What about Mrs. Tom Hanks (I think that's who's shown up before). Is it Castro? Canning? It's just a weird dynamic thinking about next season because the first four had Lockhart/Gardner as one side, then the fifth season had Lockhart/Gardner as the other side. Now it's no longer there. Where's the bedrock that is either the shield or the spear?

There are many different directions here... Bond, perhaps? Streep's daughter? Tascioni and Reina? Then we shouldn't forget Matthew Perry... The list goes on and on...

TBH, as I said, we might be back to the basics here, without clear foil. I would like to see Scott-Carr back, but perhaps Mattan or Geneva could be the filler for the "bad guys" side...

We will see 2 huge plots, each spanning over the course of 11 episodes, thus we will have first 11 episodes block in autumn/winter, then long pause, and then other block starting and ending in spring. It will be interesting. For the first half, I think Finn will be back in race, I didn't get whether he actually officially drop out of race, or was it just intention and we also see Diane moving in with Florrick/Agos. And for the second, well

Peter could always run for President :)

Too soon lol

No, I think the first half will be

Alicia running for State's Attorney, and the second, after having won, her handling that mess.

Too soon lol

You think? I think we might see

some political turbulence.Peter's story this year was relatively calm, thus I feel we can expect something big next season. I am not sure about next sex scandal happening, but it would be nice to see how much Alicia progressed since that slap in Episode 1.01. As for presidency, well, elections are in 2016, right? And given that Peter is a democrat, he can face, how do you call those elections when the members of the party are going for the votes of the party support, primary? Never forget this is Obama's second mandate. :)

No, I think the first half will be

Alicia running for State's Attorney, and the second, after having won, her handling that mess.

I don't think so. Especially not after

Robert and Michelle King announced that Kalinda is going with Diane, thus making Diane truly part of Florrick/Agos.

So I'm up to mid-way through Season 4 - just had the episode in which a high-profile lawyer joins the team and tries to lose a case so he can take it to the Supreme Court. There was a lot of stuff in it about how this guy was big-time, argues high profile cases, etc. It occurred to me that I was kind of surprised that the Lockhart & Gardner lawyers didn't have that kind of cachet themselves. Over the course of the series they've been involved in an extraordinary number of high profile cases (obviously more than would be realistic, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief on that :P). Off the top of my head, there's been:

- Defending a teen starlet in a drunk-driving/car-crash case (clearly would have made headlines)

- Multiple defences of 'infamous' wife-killer Colin Sweeney (made out to be headline-worthy within the universe of the show)

- Numerous cases involving high profile legal questions in the tech-world thanks to the Edelstein vs. Chum-hum storylines*.

- An investigation into the inventor of Bitcoin.

Given that, I'm surprised they aren't considered to be rockstars of the legal world! Or is this a WAFO question?

ST

*Speaking of which, the internal consistency of the internet within the show seems a bit spotty. Initially, it seemed as though they were going with generic versions of websites (eg. Facestream, Chum-hum, VideoLeak, etc). But as the show has gone on I've noticed several episodes that reference the names of real-world websites, including Facebook and Google. This feels a bit awkward when Chum-hum is clearly set up to be a Google analogue (and I guess Edelstein is supposed to be Zuckerberg/Facebook).

In terms of state attorney, it varies state-by-state. In some states the position is an appointment. In others, like presumably Illinois where TGW is located, it's an elective office. This might make it OK legally. But still, it seems iffy politically, because, presumably, she'd have the endorsement of the governor, which the other candidates could make a lot of hay out of, for themselves, and their party too.

The voters were quite astonished when JFK appointed his brother Bobby to inhabit the federal position of Attorney General.

In real life, the Illinois Attorney General (which is the closest analogy to the show's Illinois State's Attorney) is Lisa Madigan, who is the daughter of the very long-time Speaker of the House for Illinois, Michael Madigan. Both elected positions.

OK, back to my safe harbor around here... I love you guys... (especially after having to argue half a day today that Cat indeed is better mother than Lysa)

So, I was wondering about something. How much of Peter interacting with Zack and Grace do we actually see? In the campaign we have seen Zack working for Peter, but I think that this show, perhaps and I even think deliberately, toned down those interactions. In the last episode:

We have seen Alicia saying goodbye to Zack, but not Peter. We have seen Alicia an episode ago taking photo with Zack and Grace, but not Peter.

It is a bit strange, don't you think? I remember when Alicia and Jackie clashed when Jackie used "he is state's attorney" line on Alicia replied "who banged hooker 18 times". There are many ways to look upon this. I remember poor Zack not wanting to be like his father, Grace's gif with "one hooker only" but at the end, comparing that to the Alicia's bond with them is completely wrong. There are some instances I must have forgotten (I also remember Peter talking to the principal of their school), but the overall impression is not that great. Especially with this last episode and the lack of scenes I mentioned in spoiler brackets.

As I said, it can be seen in many ways. Perhaps this is one of those sides of the show where we see that woman can be both great mother and successful business woman, and a guy doesn't have to juggle between those two. The idea of "the good wife" was never just the image for the public, but the life Alicia lived for the sake of her children. We have seen how she hardly she abandoned Peter and how she had to tell her children. So, the truth question here is what is the good wife? An image for public, life she had, life she has to live, or life she wants to live? Is it political or personal thing? Or actually both? I will give more eloquent answer in some time, when I process all the thoughts and these ideas get some form.

OK, back to my safe harbor around here... I love you guys... (especially after having to argue half a day today that Cat indeed is better mother than Lysa)

Wait... you had to argue? Like forced at gunpoint? ;)

LOL

(...)

As I said, it can be seen in many ways. Perhaps this is one of those sides of the show where we see that woman can be both great mother and successful business woman, and a guy doesn't have to juggle between those two. The idea of "the good wife" was never just the image for the public, but the life Alicia lived for the sake of her children. We have seen how she hardly she abandoned Peter and how she had to tell her children. So, the truth question here is what is the good wife? An image for public, life she had, life she has to live, or life she wants to live? Is it political or personal thing? Or actually both? I will give more eloquent answer in some time, when I process all the thoughts and these ideas get some form.

Wait, are there actually people who think Lysa is a better mother? Cersei is better than either of them, though - but that's not to be discussed here :cool4:

You make a good point here. I think the "good wife" thing is both what Alicia has always wanted to be, particularly in opposition to how her mother has lived her life, which she never approved, and, of course, the political image she has to maintain 24/7. Saint Alicia.

As to Peter's relationship with his kids, I think that, except for not always thinking before he acts and the hooker/public scandals, he's a generally good father. Grace and Zach don't seem to resent him as much as you'd expect, at least. Ultimately, we see little interaction between those three because this story was never about him.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy sh**. I was rewatching The Goonies, and the blond girl looked so familiar, but my memory wasn't helping. Enters imdb. Who is she? THE LAWYER LADY WHO'S ALWAYS PREGNANT! :eek:

Everyone has probably known that for ages, but looking back on my childhood now just got a lot weirder lol

Other than that, I'm rewatching TGW from season one and, wow, knowing what's going to happen in season 5, and what still hasn't happened after all this time and probably won't now, makes it an incredibly hard process.

Archived