The Good Wife 2: The Good Fight Season 2

Mladen

Perhaps Eli's got a political operative's version of jilted long-time lover syndrome, which is leaving him with the erosion of identity and insecurity?  Poor judgment?

I've still got two more episodes to catch up with, so maybe I don't know about what I type here!

However, if that's what's going on, I like that part of the season a lot. It's part of people all around us needing to re-create themselves, at least as much as Alicia is trying to do.  Even Grace is doing so, as a responsible, clear-eyed office manager for her mom.  (Hmm, has it been mentioned why Grace isn't in school?  Is she still a high school student?  What's happened with Zach?) Howard is becoming an unpleasant fellow rather than a bungler.  Carey is rudderless.  And just what is Diane and by extension that firm doing? The only one who stays the same, it seems, is Peter.

Back from where I am currently with the show, Alicia seems remarkably at peace, the only one who is.

Back from where I am currently with the show, Alicia seems remarkably at peace, the only one who is.

Kinda the point in a way.  Absolute role reversal compared to how the first season opened up, right?  There,  Alicia was unsure,  unproven, adrift. But now,  it seems everyone else needs some help.  Of the primary characters that is. 

Perhaps Eli's got a political operative's version of jilted long-time lover syndrome, which is leaving him with the erosion of identity and insecurity?  Poor judgment?

I've still got two more episodes to catch up with, so maybe I don't know about what I type here!

However, if that's what's going on, I like that part of the season a lot. It's part of people all around us needing to re-create themselves, at least as much as Alicia is trying to do.  Even Grace is doing so, as a responsible, clear-eyed office manager for her mom.  (Hmm, has it been mentioned why Grace isn't in school?  Is she still a high school student?  What's happened with Zach?) Howard is becoming an unpleasant fellow rather than a bungler.  Carey is rudderless.  And just what is Diane and by extension that firm doing? The only one who stays the same, it seems, is Peter.

Shyte! this so called upgrade sux!  Nothing works.  How can I even reply?  Engage in the conversation?:

This is all the more frustrating as I just finished watching the latest ep of TGW -- and still not knowing how this whole old firm, new Alicia, Peter running for POTUS with Alicia on his arm, can possible work in any realistic manner.  But I'm enjoying it a lot.

Yah.  home finally without needing to pack a suitcase until Dec. 31 -- and too trashed to do anything but what I want to do -- which is catch up with tv etc. and not talk to anybody in real life!  Hopefully I'll be over that once I get about four nights of sleep . . . .

IOW, TGW is doing exactly what tv should do for us who are way overstressed and undersleeped and overworked.  Yay.

I love Grace this season.

LOL, yeah... The last scene was amazing and Alicia's face was hilarious. It reminded me when I was in grammar school and on Literature class we did the usual "how to write official request, plea etc" and I did a letter to my parents requesting a pay for the services I have provided in my dad's company. My teacher laughed and she said "love is love, business is business"

Kinda the point in a way.  Absolute role reversal compared to how the first season opened up, right?  There,  Alicia was unsure,  unproven, adrift. But now,  it seems everyone else needs some help.  Of the primary characters that is. 

I think the last two episodes made this point. It is still a bit too much like Season 5 (which is not too bad), but there is a growth. Alicia's character seems richer in another - political layer, where she understands she has to allow someone to use her and she has to learn to use others. The beauty of codependency :)

^I'm really glad there's more to her than her Jesus story line, that always dampened things for me.

I'm also glad Alicia is growing and that she's able to acknowledge and own when she's being used. But for some reason, I have a problem with it when it's Peter, and when Eli is doing it on behalf of Peter. I also hate it when nice things happen to/for Peter. I need to reign in my strong dislike for that character (he's only fictional after all).

Wonder if we'll see Zac anytime soon.

This Sunday's was a solid episode.  We've entirely forgotten all our previous favorite characters including both Josh and Kalinda.

But they still don't have a clue about what to do with Cary.

I liked particularly the bit that we all see different things on our own computers.  This really came home to me that even with google and sites I go to constantly, when I was on someone else's system at George Mason University a couple of weeks ago, even with googling the exact name of those sites, it took several tries before it found it.  This was someone else's computer, he, like most other people in the world, have never even heard of these sites.

Which has fairly unpleasant realizations that these search engines will only show us what 'they' 'think' we want to see.  Not good for political consciousness or even awareness of what other people think and believe.

• 1 month later...

After watching last week's episode it's really clear that 7 seasons are more than enough of the Good Wife.

People get tired of doing the same thing too, after seven years.  It's a legitimate wish to do something else.

58 minutes ago, Zorral said:

After watching last week's episode it's really clear that 7 seasons are more than enough of the Good Wife.

People get tired of doing the same thing too, after seven years.  It's a legitimate wish to do something else.

Yeah... Margulies and Baranski had 7 good years behind them, but you can feel that they had it enough. I just wish Baranski wins an Emmy for her Diane. She is Jon Hamm of TGW.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm holding out hope for a spin off featuring Cary, Luca, and some of the others a la when Major Crimes came right out of the Closer...

The only worthy-of-mentioning spin off I have seen was "Boston Legal". That said, Matt Czuchry is most definitely not James Spader so I doubt it would work well. 

29 minutes ago, Risto said:

The only worthy-of-mentioning spin off I have seen was "Boston Legal". That said, Matt Czuchry is most definitely not James Spader so I doubt it would work well. 

Boston Legal is the only spin off you think is worthy of mentioning?  Ever?  That's a hard line you've drawn and there are a few shows who would like to have a word...  :P

That being said, I don't agree.  I think a show with Cary, Luca, David Lee, and a few of the others would work very well. 

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Boston Legal is the only spin off you think is worthy of mentioning?  Ever?  That's a hard line you've drawn and there are a few shows who would like to have a word...  :P

LOL, that I have seen :) Although I just realized Star Trek shows are all spin offs, The Flash, Agent Carter are solid, I haven't watched Chicago universe (I started with Med, and not exactly my cup of tea), Better Call Saul, Law and Order. 

Actually, scratch that... You are right... :)

It all depends how they would make it. Now Eli Gold moving to a next campaign would be EPIC. With Kalinda back and Elsabeth Tascioni and Diane giving legal support. A man can dream.

That's just it...they've built an entire universe to build on. Just because they're done telling Alicia's story, doesn't mean there isn't more out there.  But it would have to start almost right away to be effective.  That's kinda what I meant with the Major Crimes comparison, though I actually love that show...

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That's just it...they've built an entire universe to build on. Just because they're done telling Alicia's story, doesn't mean there isn't more out there.  But it would have to start almost right away to be effective.  That's kinda what I meant with the Major Crimes comparison, though I actually love that show...

But the thing is that this has always been Alicia's story. In terms of the universe, yeah, they can build storylines for others, but TGW was essentially Alicia's story, through and through. The story has rich characters and you can pick each one of them - Diane, Eli, Kalinda and you can make a decent spin off. I would agree on immediate beginning. Next season, TGW slot filled with new show would perhaps be a good thing.

Archived