Varamyr Prologue- points to wight intelligence? [ADWD spoilers]

If you have not read through ADWD please do not read further, And also if this has been done before, let me know however i'd like to reopen discussion about it.

So there has been threads on Varamyr and his warging abilities, his thoughts on dying (which i find particularly interesting) and his life etc

Then right at the end, when he finds his wolf pack and slips into Sly as he dies, he witnesses Thistle (who was looking after him, and who he tried to warg into but failed) turn into a wight:

"Pale pink icicles hung from her fingertips, ten long knives of frozen blood. and in the pits where her eyes had been, a pale blue light was flickering, lending her coarse features and eerie beauty they had never known in life".

This is all well and good. We know what happens when someone dies and is brought back by a White Walker (WW). However the interesting part is Varamyr's response to her staring glaze:

"She sees me."

Now this could well be paranoia over the guilt he feels for just killing her. We know she was screaming in agony when he tried to skinchange into her, that Haggon had warned him it was an 'abomination' to do so, and one should not try it. And therefore probably resulted in her death as well as injury i think she was doing to herself as she screamed "get out of my head". The only one we know who can skinchange a human is Bran, but even then, he's only done that to Hodor who is 'simple'.

What I think one could actually assume from this is that wight's actually have:

1.) Some sort of memory/ intelligence left over

2.) They can sense when creatures have wargs/skinchangers in them

1. Memory/ intelligence left over

So, evidence for this is also backed up by Jon, who says (not exact quote) that the wights who attacked Lord Commander Mormont in aGoT must have some sort of memory left over since they knew how to find his chambers. Jon as LC then uses this thinking to justify locking 2 wights in the ice cells in order to study them.

How? Well a possible theory could be that when a person dies, the WW could have access to past memories and use these to manipulate the wight into doing their deeds. In a magical world such as ASOIAF, it is not impossible that a WW could gain information from a dead wights brain, since i doubt a former man of the nights watch would attempt an assasination on the LC, unless forced to do so, or unless his one of those a-holes in Craster's keep. but this was before Mormont decided to go north and they weren't hungry/starved.

Unfortunately we know little about the WW and how far their abilities extend other than necromancy and now *show spoiler* turning Crasters' baby boys into WW though this was done by another breed, possibly the Night's King.

2. Wights/WW can sense wargs inside animals

This is possible, here's why. Note i can't provide evidence because we haven't learned enough about WW and this is mere speculation based on other information

So Varamyr claims, Wight Thistle can 'see' him, even though he's inside his wolf Sly now.

Varamyr also believes that Warging/Skinchanging is a "gift from the old gods". We know that the CoTF and Bloodraven are highly connected to the 'old gods' and BR is a skinchanger and CoTF are magical beings.

The CoTF supposedly helped build the wall to keep the WW out, is it possible they also created a magic whereby humans could warg into other animals around the time of the first men? Why is the symbol of House Stark a direwolf? Was this the animal chosen by the first Stark Kings? I think that wargs may have some significance to do with the WW, therefore a reason why WW may be able to sense a warg, especially a powerful skinchanger like Varamyr. And probably why a skinchanger must be in the position where BR is. It is possible that BR may choose people to become wargs/skinchangers and then the CoTF make this happen.

What if WW are actually super skinchangers, who actually warg humans? This could be why they are seen as evil. Maybe it is easier to warg someone when they are dead, and they have this power. This could also explain why they'd have access to past memories and are able to control them. We also know that wights eyes turn the same colour as a WW. When Bran wargs in the show, his eyes go milky and Hodor's eyes temporarily go milky too, but i can't remember how this is described in the book as we only see this through Bran's eyes and he is skinchanging so couldn't describe it.

However, yet again we know little about the powers of 'the old gods' or whether they exist or what they really are. My feeling is the 'Old Gods' are the weirwood trees and refer to the person (BR) overseeing them. We also know little about the powers of the CoTF, but we can assume they possess powerful magic, since they are probably responsible for protecting BR's cave from WW and supposedly behind the magic of the wall. I think somehow their magic is connected to the weirwoods.

This post is turning out to be longer than i thought, i'm sure there are more quotes out there to support these theories, so pleas feel free to share them as well as your thoughts about why wargs exist, what they could possibly have to do with the WW, CoTF, the old gods and on the intelligence of wights

Hope this isn't too 'crackpot'. I feel in WoW we will see some more evidence about the powers of WW.

Archived