[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

I think Pedro might even have made Oberyn more personable, still cocky and dangerous- but a guy that (if you didn't bring up his sister's death) you'd want to have a few drinks and a chat with. He made him seem pretty open minded and good-humored where Lannisters and Lannister bannermen weren't concerned. In the books he was also probably my favorite "supporting" character, tied with Bronn... but much like Bronn, he benefited greatly by being brought to life on screen by a great actor. Despite (or maybe even because of) how much they played up his sexuality. His clear love and affection for Ellaria and the playfulness between them really spotlighted how much of a, dare I say it, "loving" guy he could be, granted it's not quite as hard to love someone who gives you free reign to stick it to whomever you may desire. And that scene with Tyrion in the dungeon, before he tells him he would be his champion- now one of my favorite scenes in the entirety of the show.

As I've said in other threads, I knew what was coming- but I had gotten so re-attached to Oberyn that I still felt blindsided by the brutality and needlessness of his death. That scream from Ellaria, after beseeching him "not to leave her alone in this world", ughhhh.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to confess to not really rating or paying much heed to the Red Viper when I first read A Storm of Swords. I had him pegged as an arrogant, exuberant hot head. I love his portrayal in the HBO series. Yes he still has his impulsiveness as an achilees heel, but he radiates the same kind of intelligence and deep-seated sense of justice that you get from Doran Martell by the end of ADWD.

Pedro Pascal's performance was really quite something. I'm hoping they do as well with the Doran Martell casting next season.

Archived