[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

Plus they're going to milk that David vs. Goliath thing hard and make an uplifting pseudoclimax that will end up crushed like the beautiful dream it always was. And by episode 10, the inevitable revenge will have lost much of its sweetness. No cheap feel-good tropes, only a bleak universe full of painful losses and ultimately meaningless victories. It'll be better this way

Are you kidding me?? Quentyn Martell will definitley make it into the show. Who else would try to steal her dragons and then get burned alive in the process?

Well then that makes his plot function about the same as a gust of wind that would blow the door open for the dragons.

He'll likely be included because it sets up Dorne's motivations moving forward, but I don't think he's an absolute necessity. We also haven't gotten very many prophecies in the show, and that particular one is about Khal Drogo being normal again. It's basically MMD's way of saying "never."

Wow, never heard that. Good catch.

I can't take credit for it. I saw it on some topic that someone created describing all of the Maegi's prophecies and how some or all of them have started to come true. However, I agree that it's a good catch. It makes perfect sense.

I can't take credit for it. I saw it on some topic that someone created describing all of the Maegi's prophecies and how some or all of them have started to come true. However, I agree that it's a good catch. It makes perfect sense.

You think Drogo is going to come back? I agree that Quentyn could be viewed as a Sun that rises in the west and sets in the east, but the end part of what she says ("then he will return") kind of indicates that it's not a prophecy so much as MMD's way of saying "he's gone."

"When will he be as he was?" Dany demanded.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

You think Drogo is going to come back? I agree that Quentyn could be viewed as a Sun that rises in the west and sets in the east, but the end part of what she says ("then he will return") kind of indicates that it's not a prophecy so much as MMD's way of saying "he's gone."

"When will he be as he was?" Dany demanded.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

I don't know, but the sun rose in the west and set in the east (if you accept Quentin as that sun/son of Sunspear), the seas went dry (if you take the drought of the Dothraki sea as the 'seas going dry'), and if you remember correctly Dany, arguably, has a miscarriage near the end of her arc in DwD. So, most of it has come true. Maybe Drogo is coming back, or maybe the prophecy doesn't really mean Drogo is coming back, but that Dany will have a strong husband again? I don't know, but I do know that the evidence is compelling for the prophecy being fulfilled.

Well then that makes his plot function about the same as a gust of wind that would blow the door open for the dragons.

He'll likely be included because it sets up Dorne's motivations moving forward, but I don't think he's an absolute necessity. We also haven't gotten very many prophecies in the show, and that particular one is about Khal Drogo being normal again. It's basically MMD's way of saying "never."

I think when everyone was on the small council meeting this past episode talking about Danny taking over Mereen with her dragons, that that's when Oberyn had that look like, "hey, I should totally tell my brother about this and see if we can get the upperhand by sending over Quentyn to ask her hand in marriage"

I think when everyone was on the small council meeting this past episode talking about Danny taking over Mereen with her dragons, that that's when Oberyn had that look like, "hey, I should totally tell my brother about this and see if we can get the upperhand by sending over Quentyn to ask her hand in marriage"

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like I said, I expect him to be in, but I won't be shocked if they go a different direction. I'm wondering if we're going to get any of Arianne's backstory (thinking she was going to be disinherited) and if they'll bring up the original marriage contract, but that seems like a lot to explain. Will be interesting to see how the Dornish are handled, moving forward.

I had the same thought, although it could also have been a "if only you knew, we're already getting her for us" look, but yes definatly a "Dorne's gonna take good care of her" :D

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Like I said, I expect him to be in, but I won't be shocked if they go a different direction. I'm wondering if we're going to get any of Arianne's backstory (thinking she was going to be disinherited) and if they'll bring up the original marriage contract, but that seems like a lot to explain. Will be interesting to see how the Dornish are handled, moving forward.

Completely agree, Dorne for some reason really peaks my interest. So I hope to see great things from there, also I'm curious when they will show Marcella and if they will still cut her ear off. It seems like they foreshadowed it when Oberyn made that comment that little girls don't get hurt in Dorne.

Original marriage contract will be in it. Doran's speech is gold and before it ends on "Fire and Blood", the line about how Arianne's betrothed was killed will be a great "did he just say... Does he mean..?" Line for show watchers.

I really hope Oberyn's past in the second sons is mentioned, followed by a cut to Daario, just to fuel speculation and build the Martells are pro Targ flames. Then Doran can look to quash them in season 5 and disappoint the viewers and turn it around again with that speech...

Plus they're going to milk that David vs. Goliath thing hard and make an uplifting pseudoclimax that will end up crushed like the beautiful dream it always was. And by episode 10, the inevitable revenge will have lost much of its sweetness. No cheap feel-good tropes, only a bleak universe full of painful losses and ultimately meaningless victories. It'll be better this way

Mood whiplash much?

My memory is ever fuzzy, but Dorne had stayed out of the war completely, and it was Oberyn's death that made the Sand Snakes want to incite war, no? I know Doran had some different stuff planned before against Tywin and them, but surface-level, everything had been calm on the Dornish front before Oberyn died.

Yeah this is true, Doran was planning to destroy the Lannisters with Viserys marrying Arianne and afterwards Quentyn marrying Danaerys, this was long before Oberyn died.

My memory is ever fuzzy, but Dorne had stayed out of the war completely, and it was Oberyn's death that made the Sand Snakes want to incite war, no? I know Doran had some different stuff planned before against Tywin and them, but surface-level, everything had been calm on the Dornish front before Oberyn died.

No that's correct. Doran had the marriage contracts, but Oberyn's death was the catalyst for all the sudden treasonous talks (Sand Snakes asking for war, Arianne wanting to crown Myrcella). They didn't know about Doran's longplay.

I mean after RR there was definitely contempt on Dorne, but not outright warmongering.

Synopsis for episode 8.

Episode #38: “The Mountain and the Viper”
SUNDAY, JUNE 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)
Unexpected visitors arrive in Mole’s Town; Littlefinger’s motives are questioned; Ramsay tries to prove himself to his father; Tyrion’s fate is decided.
Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Alex Graves.

They have to introduce all of Dornes plan, if not it wont make sense moving forward. So no way they can make Oberyn=Quentyn. It wouldnt take long, they wouldnt introduce all of the sand snakes because it would be too much. They would only expand on Ellaria who has already been introduced. and a dialogue of like 4 minutes at the end of this season to introduce Doran and his relation to Oberyn along with Quentyn and Arianne. They already mentioned him the first episode by saying that he is too old to travel to kings landing for the wedding.

I hope they emphasize the part where Oberyn screams out what the mountain did to his sister as he is attacking him and have the mountain beat the crap out of pedro. I really hope they execute it as well as the trial scene

Archived