[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

Yeah he has to die. The whole Dorne story follows on with the repercussions from his death, and the mountain needs to be wounded to lead into Robert Strong (allegedly ;)).

I don't see how it would work if they dramatically alter the fight, plus the unsullied reaction to his death will be brilliant!

I don't think it's going to happen, but they could make him survive if he yields to the Mountain before getting killed. A trial by combat is not necessarily to death, is it?

In the first Dunk and Egg adventure, Duncan's adversary just yields so why not Oberyn?

But again, it is very unlikely...

I don't think it's going to happen, but they could make him survive if he yields to the Mountain before getting killed. A trial by combat is not necessarily to death, is it?

In the first Dunk and Egg adventure, Duncan's adversary just yields so why not Oberyn?

But again, it is very unlikely...

Oberyn would sooner suck the Mountain's cock than yield to him imo....the way they have built his character so far, would be the worst possible thing and not to mention cause HUUUUUGE ripple effects and D&D would lose a huge audience base

stick with your first instinct...not going to happen, Oberyn dies in 3 weeks :crying:

Oberyn is going to die. We've seen scenes of Tyrion and Varys running though the tunnels in the black cells in trailers before. Why would they be doing that if Tyrion would have won his trial by combat?

"When will he be as he was?" Dany demanded.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

I don't know, but the sun rose in the west and set in the east (if you accept Quentin as that sun/son of Sunspear), the seas went dry (if you take the drought of the Dothraki sea as the 'seas going dry'), and if you remember correctly Dany, arguably, has a miscarriage near the end of her arc in DwD. So, most of it has come true. Maybe Drogo is coming back, or maybe the prophecy doesn't really mean Drogo is coming back, but that Dany will have a strong husband again? I don't know, but I do know that the evidence is compelling for the prophecy being fulfilled.

It appeared to be a miscarriage, but she has yet to bear a living child. A lot of people speculate Drogo will return in her living child. Personally, this theory suits me, but it won't happen until at least TWoW, if it's going to at all.

No way. It would change the ENTIRE story.

It's been already chnged, unless Dany kicks Jorah from her side. When is that going to happen and how is he gonna meet Tyrion? They've ready twisted that plot, so I wouldn't be surprised if Oberyn would be kept alive for a few more chapters.

Book Gregor smashed Aegon and Oberyn's head. TV Oberyn said Gregor chopped Aegon's head off, so will TV Gregor chop Obery's head ?

Yeah! Bet you're right. So much easier than showing a bashed head. Actually was wondering how they'd show a bashed in skull. :-)

It's been already chnged, unless Dany kicks Jorah from her side. When is that going to happen and how is he gonna meet Tyrion? They've ready twisted that plot, so I wouldn't be surprised if Oberyn would be kept alive for a few more chapters.

I'm pretty sure we seen the start of Jorahs downfall last episode:

Small council meeting before trail: Tywin asks Varys if his little birds could get as message to Dany, he asks Tyrell to fetch him quill and parchment.

I'm all for adaptations trying to improve the source material when required and I do think Oberyn's death was a mistake. I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Martin was wrong by sacrificing a very colorful and engaging character just for a moment of shock.

That said, Oberyn surviving would have huge repercussions and it would be a very, very significant deviation, so he has to die

He didn't do it for a moment of shock. He did it because it was necessary for the plot (you practically admitted as much). If Oberyn lived, Tyrion would've been found innocent, and there would be no escaping and no going to Essos.

Archived