Why did Robb Stark marry Jayne?

Britisher

Even someone as clueless as Robb should know that the chance of Jeyne being pregnant after having sex once is pretty low, shouldn't he?

according to Catelyn Robb was made the first time, and sex ed doesn't seem to have a big place in the Stark family.

Well, Ned did get Catelyn pregnant on the first try. Robb has doubtless heard this story, and, not being the brightest bulb, assumed the same thing was bound to be true for him and Jeyne.

Not necessary, Ned and Cat spend two weeks together after the marriage before he left to go to war. Surely they had sex more than once.

And with Theon as his best buddy, I doubt Robb was that naive about sex.

To show how stupid Robb is and to find a way to get him killed. I like TV Robb farrrr more then book Robb. Book Robb is a whiny baby. Killing Karstark, sending Theon away,marrying Jeyne and trusting Roose was far too dumb. In book 1 Robb liberally says of Roose "that man scares me" and then he gives him practically 2nd in command power.

Also what would have happened to the Riverlands if Robb went back north? Pretty much screwed huh.

When he meets up with Roose outside the Twins and Roose seems to have no idea why Glover and Tallhart went to Duskendale (even though they would have to pass HH to get there) one would think he would start being suspicious.

then when Roose tells the story of losing all the non-dreadfort men or leaving them to guard the Ruby Ford on his way to the Twins, certainly some sort of lightbulb should have turned on.

Not necessary, Ned and Cat spend two weeks together after the marriage before he left to go to war. Surely they had sex more than once.

And with Theon as his best buddy, I doubt Robb was that naive about sex.

I was being sarcastic, by the way.

I think Robb genuinely had feelings for Jeyne, and Jeyne seems very much in love with Robb (unless she's Westeros' best actress). I think he was flattered by her attentions, feeling a tad rebellious and pleased with himself and thought something like

"Mumsie wants me to marry some Frey chick, well, nuts to that, i wanna marry this one! The Frey bird probably looks like the back end of a camel, this one looks alright and is clearly nuts about me. I'm the ruddy King in the North, i'm gonna marry who i like!"

Yeah, he might have been able to have kept Jeyne as a bit on the side/ paramour, but let's face it, he's a Stark, that's not gonna happen. Besides I imagine Catelyn would have been even more pissed off with him.

I find it laughable that Robb was worrying about fathering a bastard ... Bastard or not any child with a king for a father would instantly have a better life then 99% of all newborns in Westeros. God, re reading Acok and SOS really makes me hate Robb and Cat so much. I really have lost all hatred over the RW because in a way Robb and Cat deserved it .

Well, he was aware of the consequences for example how she came with virtually nothing to offer him, whereas a Frey marriage could've enabled him to take Lannisport and Casterly Rock.

I know he did it for love but he could have still been with her whilst he was married.

It was the politically wrong thing to do, but he realized it was the morally right and honorable thing to do.

(but you know, you both could've kept it in your pants and saved yourselves all that horror....)

To the people saying it was honor; what is honorable about breaking a pact with people who have bled and died for your cause to help some girl from an enemy house?

This! :agree:

A text book example of Stark blight.

To the people saying it was honor; what is honorable about breaking a pact with people who have bled and died for your cause to help some girl from an enemy house?

I'm also of the mind that Ned wouldn't have been so proud of Robb marrying Jeyne since he clearly dishonored his promise to the Frey's. Ned's type of honor would have been if by chance Jeyne got pregnant after one time to raise the child as he did with Jon.

Archived